In the Absence of Alliant Powders

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Walt
Senior Levergunner

In the Absence of Alliant Powders

Post by Walt »

There are lots of powders that can be substituted with the suspension of Alliant powder availability.

One of my favorite substitutes in .45 Colt with standard loads is TiteGroup.

Using 250 gr machine cast bullets over 6.2 gr of TiteGroup results in 825 fps with standard deviations under 10 fps commonplace; frequently they're around 2 fps. Loads of 7.5 gr of 231 behind the same bullet are about 35 fps faster with similar standard deviations. These velocities were achieved from several revolvers with 5 1/2" barrels.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Scott Tschirhart
Advanced Levergunner

Re: In the Absence of Alliant Powders

Post by Scott Tschirhart »

I bought 8 pounds of Bullseye today…..ouch! That hurt!!!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Scott Tschirhart wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 4:45 pm I bought 8 pounds of Bullseye today…..ouch! That hurt!!!
I bet! :shock:
GunnyMack
Advanced Levergunner

Post by GunnyMack »

8 lbs of bullseye will go a looong way!
Last edited by GunnyMack on Sat May 11, 2024 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
BROWN LABS MATTER !!
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

I don't have any TiteGroup or 231, which show up often in handgun load recommendations, especially for shorter barreled revolvers. No Red Dot either, but Trail Boss, Bullseye, Unique, Universal, Blue Dot, 2400, 296 -- less than a pound of each but I am in the fourth quarter not far from the two-minute warning, so they may do me just fine.
For rifles, a pound of Re15 but no Re7 -- a useful powder.
TraderVic
Levergunner 3.0

Post by TraderVic »

My 45/70 likes RL7 and H322 equally. Planning to work up a new hunting load and don't have much RL7 left, probably should snag another one.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

"...but I am in the fourth quarter not far from the two-minute warning..."

That's an interesting way to put it, but I can relate; "...not sure how many more times I'm going to have to fill the wood shed for the winter..." is the way I usually put it... :D
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

AJMD429 wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 8:44 pm"...but I am in the fourth quarter not far from the two-minute warning..."
That's an interesting way to put it, but I can relate; "...not sure how many more times I'm going to have to fill the wood shed for the winter..." is the way I usually put it... :D
I must be an optimist... as I'm "just entering the 2nd half. Hopefully, the best half."
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Sarge
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Sarge »

About all I load these days is W231, W296 and H4895. I buy a pound or two whenever I can find them locally. Been pretty low a time or two, but I've never been out. And yes the new prices will get your attention.
People were smarter before the Internet, or imbeciles were harder to notice.
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Powder Valley sent out a notice they got from Alliant stating they are temporarily halting production of all powders due to some previous orders (likely military) that take priority. So no sales to the public until further notice.

https://www.snipershide.com/shooting/th ... s.7217950/

Of course Alliant is also part of Vista Outdoors, which was sold to a Czech conglomerate not long ago.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

marlinman93 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:39 pm Of course Alliant is also part of Vista Outdoors, which was sold to a Czech conglomerate not long ago.
I understand that sale hasn't gone thru yet... Something about the Committee for Foreign Investment hasn't approved the sale yet. The other bidder is a US Corporation and offers more money.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Griff wrote: Sun May 12, 2024 9:56 pm
marlinman93 wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 2:39 pm Of course Alliant is also part of Vista Outdoors, which was sold to a Czech conglomerate not long ago.
I understand that sale hasn't gone thru yet... Something about the Committee for Foreign Investment hasn't approved the sale yet. The other bidder is a US Corporation and offers more money.
I searched, but couldn't find anything about the sale not being a done deal? It was agreed on last October by both sides, and seems by now it would be completed?
But since RCBS was sold to Hodgdon recently, I'm unsure how that deal could have happened if the Vista and CSG deal wasn't completed? It would be tough for Vista to sell part of the deal if the deal wasn't approved yet? They did sell all of Vista's outdoor sporting entities in the deal with CSG.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Alliant sells some pretty useful powders but they've been really unreliable in the supply chain for several years now.

I found some Bullseye and Unique last weekend at a store for $35/lb so I bought enough to last me for quite a while.

I wonder if the lack of powder availability will result in a glut of those useless primers in the market. :) I'd sure hate to see a drop in the price of primers. :roll:
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.