OT - movies you watched as a kid

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

OT - movies you watched as a kid

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I just ordered several movies from Amazon on DVD - these are all old movies that I watched first at the theater when I was growing up and I've been meaning to get them so that I can share them with my two boys that are still home (14 and 17 years old).

I ordered: A Man Called Horse, The Return of the Man Called Horse, Little Big Man, Andromeda Strain, Silent Running, Soilent Green, Omega Man (the origninal with Heston), Fahrenheit 451 and a new one from Gov. Rick Perry "On My Honor: Why the American Values of the Boy Scouts of America are worth fighting for".

Gov. Perry is an Eagle Scout. My oldest son is an Eagle and my yougest just completed his Eagle project.

Anyhoo, I've mentioned the above old movies to them several times and they just look at me like I'm crazy, so I wanted to show them what I'm talking about.

I've already got several other classics that walmart sells like The Outlaw Josey Wales, Jeremiah Johnson, etc., Good the Bad And the Ugly, etc., but I wanted to get the above as I remember them all fondly. We'll see how they've aged. :)
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - movies you watched as a kid

Post by C. Cash »

Reruns or videos as a kid: Big Jake and The Long Riders mostly, but also El Dorado, Rio Lobo and True Grit.
As first runs:

Sacketts (pretty sure I saw it when it first aired as a TV Series)
The Shadow Riders (TV Series)
The Grey Fox
The Man From Snowy River Saw it on Beta when it first came out, still watching it 20+ years later.
Tora, Tora, Tora with my Dad as a young boy
The Great Waldo Pepper
Last edited by C. Cash on Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Gotta love The Duke.

But I didn't see too many in their first run. McClintock, True Grit, The Shootist - just his last ones. Clint Eastwood has always struck a cord with me for some reason. I'll probably order some more in the future to include Dirty Harry in addition to those John Wayne movies. Classics - they had something that the new movies just don't seem to contain - in spite of their gee wiz special effects.
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

As a small town Iowa farm boy going to a public school of about 30 students (all grades combined). The entire school want to the local movie house on school time to see "The Ten Commandments" with Charlton Hesston. :D
That would never hapen in todays school system!
This country has sliped far from the way it was 50 years ago. :x
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Chuck, I attended HS in Iowa too - but at Davenport West and my graduating class was just shy of 1000. And although that wasn't 50 years ago, things have still changed a lot since then - 28 years ago...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Slick
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Slick »

My childhood favorite was "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World".
Politicians and diapers both require frequent changing for the EXACT same reason!
shawn_c992001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by shawn_c992001 »

Oh lets see, Short Circuit I &II, Jaws (all of them), Caddy Shack 1&2, Back to the future (All), The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and there is so many more. Sorry guy I'm kinda young born in 1981, there just wasn't that many good movie made in the 80's that I remember, one that I watched recently and bought on DVD is "Less Than Zero". I do remember staying up late and watching "Jeremiah Johnson" though. After studing about him in elemantary school.
SASS#43836
Ain't easy havin' pals.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

When I was a kid, movies were just beginning to get sound---wait a minute, my name is not Terry Murbach-------anyway, in the early sixties, the big thing was to sit around and watch the Wizard of Oz on a black and white TV.--------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

At the movies - The Guns of Narvarone, Sink the BIsmarck and Moby Dick. On TV all those old Lon Chaney etc. horror movies.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I saw a lot of movies as a teenager - a side benefit to working at a theater!

Watching one of the best movies of all time right now - "The Outlaw Josey Wales" is on the History Channel as I type this...
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I didn't go to the theater much before my early teens for some reason. We did go see disney stuff and such though.

I do remember the TV of course - watching felix the cat cartoons, Tobor the robot, Astro Boy, the Mickey Mouse Club, all of the Apolo Space reports, the Vietnam War as reported by Walter Cronkite, and got to see all of the Star Trek episodes as they were introduced - prime time. I remember fondly watching on Sunday with my Dad who always watched the outdoor stuff, Nova on PBS and the Wide Wide World of Sports and Disney in the evening. Laugh In, Gun Smoke, Bonanza, The Flying Nun.... Also remember Lawrence Welk - argh. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I remember going to the theater to see a movie once called "Alaskan Safari" but I've never seen any reference to it now that the internet has come into being. One of the scene showed a guy taking an uphill shot at some kind of an animal, I don't remember what but he did it from a sitting position. When he fired the Weatherby rifle he had he went tumbling but over teakettle down the hill.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

All the Duke movies!!!
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

I like the cheesy "B" movie monster flicks. Monster from Piedras Blancas was my favorite. Same suit as another favorite, Monster from the Black Lagoon. Then there was the Crawling Eye, Reptilicus, It Came from Beneath the Sea, etc. I love DVD all of the oldies are being put back out for less than ten buck usually.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

We never went to the movie when i was a kid....
WESTERNS...love my westerns....From the Rifleman
to the latest....3:10 to yuma...
but I prefer the old stuff...
Watching the Magnificent 7 right now...
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

The old James Bond movies Live and let die, gold finger and old Westerns John Wayne I have the magnificent seven on DVD yet to be watched :shock:
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Yeah, Live and Let Die - my favorite of the bond movies. Every time I hear the song on the radio it brings back memories of seeing that movie at the theatre.

A couple others that stick in my mind are Billy Jack and Deliverence - for obvious reasons...
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

sorry guys, for us it was "The Sound of Music".

There used to be good late night movies on every weekend. A major theme was aliens from outer space taking over the world. Another major theme was nuclear destruction. I remember one where there was only one man left on earth. He had the whole world to himself. Great stuff, haven't seen DVD packs of those movies yet.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
OJ
Levergunner 3.0

Post by OJ »

I used to take this dog (?dogess - "B" word not allowed) with me everywhere - even to the movies. She usually slept under my seat through the movie and we wwould leave together and no one ever noticed.

However, one night in 1939 when we were watching "Bringing Up Baby" - a movie about a pet black panther and a wild one who got loose and was shown in the dark walking along a roof top - a very scary scene - "Boots" chose that moment to go up to a lady in the audience and lay her head in the lady's lap - expecting to get petted - as would normally happen.

The lady totally freaked and wouldn't stop screaming. Boots was terrified and tried to hide behind the movie screen or anywhere. The movie was stopped and the lights came on. The culprits - me and Boots - were identified and were rapidly ushered out and invited not to return - at least together, anyway.

Talk about unforgettable moments and sudden "celebrity". It was a movie I'll remember forever!

:mrgreen:
OJ KING
SEMPER FI
DUTY, HONOR, COUNTRY
NRA LIFE MEMBER
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

As I lived in the country growing up we didn't get to the movies very often as kids. Most of what I watched was TV. That said, I watched "The Wild, Wild West", "The Rifleman", and whenever we were able to catch one on TV a "Duke" movie.

Now being an adult I've had almost all of the Duke's movies, Clint Eastwood, and most of the classic westerns.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great pics and story OJ! Thanks for sharing that. :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

The Wild Wild West - another favorite! Yeah. Sci-fi "Wild West Tech" :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Sis would take me to the Movies on Sat afternoon..50 cents admission.. watched all the serial westerns all day long.. almost every Sat..they'd even let ya bring your cap gun too..But no firing of caps was allowed...( Edit.. I was armed with what I thought was a very authentic Hubley Colt 1849..The only open top cap & ball type design cap gun at the time..Later they came out with one that looked like the 1860 Army) Still can't watch "Old Yeller" I remember voting whether Tinker Bell Should come back too..Lol

Saw "Creature of the Black Lagoon" & "It Came From Outer Space" in 3D On the Sci Fi list you might wanna ad John Carpenter's "The Thing"
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I guess - I am on the younger side of the bell curve within this group - having been born in the mid 1970's - and using some quotes and pictures for my personal stuff - I was a huge Star Wars fan - I remember my parents taking me to the drive-in to watch the first Star Wars movie - I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time - but to this day I can remember sitting in the back of the station wagon with the back door up watching the movie and listening to the sound with one of this boxes you put in the car. The smell of summertime air and popcorn from the concession stand goes so well together...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
rock-steady
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rock-steady »

Every weekday afternoon, the "Big Show" came on Channel 5. (We only got two channels, 5 and 13). Some I remember are the Tarzan movies and the old B movies about giant spiders and UFO's, The Blob etc.
"People who need long explanations at moments when everything depends on instinct have always irritated me." ~ Guy Sajer
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

I remember my parents taking me to see "Davy Crockett" when it first came out over here. I even had a toy Kentucky cap rifle complete with patch box and ram rod. I don't have the toy unfortunately but I do have two replica .45 Kentucky's so that film must have made an impression on my young mind! :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

The Hell Fighters, The Green Berets, The Shootist, Windwalker, Uncommon Valor, and The Octagon were my favorites of what I saw when young.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
don Tomás
Levergunner 3.0

Post by don Tomás »

Man, haven't thought about some of these movies in years! Silent Running: one of my all time favorite Bruce Dern movies (IIRC a VN Vet para-amputee was one of the actors inside Huey, Dewy, or Louie). How about:

Best Years of Our Lives (1946, vets coming home from WW2 - very powerful)
Ben Hur
10 Commandments
Forbidden Planet
Lilys of The Field
Angel And The Badman (and all the other Duke films mentioned)
The Three Godfathers (1936, the one with The Duke, Pedro Armendáriz, and Harry Carey)
Father Goose
Mr Hobbs Takes a vacation
Majority of One
My Man Godfrey
The Music Box & Sons Of The Desert (Laurel & Hardy 2 reelers)
Last Star Fighter
Four Feathers (1939, not the recent one w/Heath Ledger (RIP))
Air Force (1943, one of the best WW2 flicks ever made, Directed by Howard Hawks)

Tom
Tom

'A Man's got to have a code...
I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted and I won't be laid a hand on.
I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."

-John Bernard Books. Jan. 22, 1901
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Ji, we all probably watched that movie as adolescents. :lol: I don't really remember if the acting was any good or not, all I remember was a leather bikini beautifully filled out.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Raquel :shock: :D :o :oops:
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That just wasn't fair to do to a married man Ji! :wink: :shock:
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Raquel can certainly fill one out. But, the best filler out or a bikini was Ursula

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
greasy dan
Levergunner 2.0

Post by greasy dan »

Saturdays, after either mowing the yard or working in the garden... Westerns on TV... Every Saturday. Sundays, after church and lunch... Tarzan movies... Johnny Weismuller. I never forgot. That's how I used to keep kids in line teaching HS... " Timba... UmGowwa... Pacy-Pacy".
Worked like a charm... most didn't have a clue what I was saying.
When I was a teenager, back in the 60's... Mom would drop all 5 of us kids off at the movie theatre shortly after noon on Saturdays... we usually sat thru the movie twice. It wasn't until about 10-years later that I figured out that's when Mom & Dad had their "play time" away from us kids.
John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart, Henry Fonda and Winchesters. I'm a kid again.
Longfin
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Longfin »

Earliest movie I remember seeing was Gone with the Wind. Saw in at the drive-in. Got to sit on the hood of the car in my pajamas. Gone with the Wind was required for all southern kids my age and my daughters watched it several times. Then they would go out and practice with their 22s in case the Yankees try to march through and burn Georgia again. More recently, I have enjoyed watching the first and second season of Rawhide on DVD. Head'em Up, Move'm OUt.
Zack
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

How about all the Wilderness Family movies of the 70's? I saw them all in the Theatres. They were pretty cool and Skip hunted his own chuck with Rifle and Shotgun...very un PC today. They didn't humanize the animals...they ate em! :)
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

As a kid I remember seeing Sinband and his seventh voyage at a drive in with the family. The special effects by Ray Harryhausen were state of the art at the time and were very entertaining. We saw many movies at the drive in theaters which were much more common . Now many of them are gone.

Odd. As a teenager, I don't seem to remember the movies at the drive in's very much. 8)
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

When I was a kid, in the late 40's-early 50's, we never went to see a movie - we went to see one of our heroes. It didn't matter what the name of the movie was - we never paid attention to that.

It was always just the new "John Wayne" movie, not "Ghengis Khan", or later the new "Steve McQueen" movie that we couldn't wait to see.

It was even better, once Technicolor was shown, ILO black/white, and the theaters went to a wide screen.

We all fought for front row seats, right under the screen - our necks used to get sore, from craning upward to see the flick. Talk about being right in the action !

I used to take a city bus the 15 miles from my town, alone at 8 years old, early on a Saturday morning so's I could start going theater-to-theater in the theater district of a nearby city, to watch all the latest cartoon matinee's that were run all day without end.

You paid $0.25 (I was devastated when the price was raised from $0.15) once at each theater to get in (anytime), watched everything they were running for that day and left when the film that was running when you first came in was started again (on your honor) - even if there was a "feature film" included in the day's fare.
Then, after that few hours, we'd move to another theater, etc, etc - until our entire allowance & earnings was gone.
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

"High Noon" and "Shane" made their impression on me back in '52 and '53. I was 14, and took a bus into Newark, NJ ( a great city, then) to see "Shane" at the Paramount Theater, a veritable palace!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

"High Noon" and "Shane" made their impression on me back in '52 and '53. I was 14, and took a bus into Newark, NJ ( a great city, then) to see "Shane" at the Paramount Theater, a veritable palace!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
GANJIRO

Post by GANJIRO »

jeepnik wrote:Raquel can certainly fill one out. But, the best filler out or a bikini was Ursula
Oh I beg to differ, Ursula not my type. :wink:
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

GAA GAAImage
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

G, to each his own. And, although she never wore a bikini in a movie, for pure sexy appeal you can't beat.

Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Boy, you guys sure are picky. They all look good to me :D
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Bogie was the best. One of my all time favorites is Sahara.

As for Westerns it's "Once upon a Time in The West"

I was 10 when Star Wars came out. I had no idea what it was about when my Dad took us to the movies but I'll Never forget when Darth Vader burst into the sceene. Wow, the ultimate bad guy.

First R rated movie was "The Blues Brothers". Stll a rhythem and blues fan!

"The Shining" scared the ____ Out f me!

jb 8)
Last edited by 2ndovc on Thu Jun 19, 2008 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

AndyM wrote:I guess - I am on the younger side of the bell curve within this group - having been born in the mid 1970's - and using some quotes and pictures for my personal stuff - I was a huge Star Wars fan - I remember my parents taking me to the drive-in to watch the first Star Wars movie - I was probably only 4 or 5 at the time - but to this day I can remember sitting in the back of the station wagon with the back door up watching the movie and listening to the sound with one of this boxes you put in the car. The smell of summertime air and popcorn from the concession stand goes so well together...
I was in 7th grade when the first Star Wars hit the theaters. I remember my father taking my brother and I to the old Eastwood theater in Indianapolis to go see it. This was a single screen theater with over 700 seats - and the best sound system in the state at the time. During the opening scene the seats actually shook - I'll never forget it! It played at that theater non-stop for over a year, selling out every weekend during that time!!!

As much as I love westerns, I also love Sci-Fi, along with war movies and any good action flicks. A few comedies will tickle my fancy - but I seldom enjoy dramas and love stories - well, that's for the chicks!!! :wink: