Life Advice

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Life Advice

Post by AJMD429 »

This is partly from what one of my patients told me she advised her grandkids and partly what I added myself...

Life thoughts:

1. Participate politically even when you’re young, even though you think you don’t have time, because by the time you are old things will have gotten worse unless you constantly push back. Freedom isn’t “won” as much as “maintained”.

2. Read good books (or if you insist watch good podcasts). Read fun ones, but also read one of the classics once a year as in pre-United States stuff, and read enough to know your history and politics and economics. Gingrich’s trilogy on Washington, stuff by Friedrich Hayek, Murray Rothbard, and Ludwig von Mises (there is a weekly email newsletter mises.org puts out that is a quick read on pertinent topics).

3. Listen to decent news sources or analysis, like Bongino’s podcast.
https://rumble.com/search/videos?q=Bongino
Otherwise you’ll be politically clueless as to current events.

4. Always buy a little extra food, a little extra ammo, and a gold coin now and then. Rotate stock and none is wasted.

5. Have the stuff you need BEFORE you need it, in case you need to purify crappy water (or dig/drive a well) plant your own garden, and can or freeze your own food.
(Do you honestly think you could go buy 100 or so canning jars with lids after some social calamity makes everyone realize they needed to do that...?). Air, Water, Food, Shelter, Heat, Ammunition, Communication.

6. Always have firearms, and spares, and always know how to use them well, and always have them at hand. Odds are that you will die of natural causes long before you ever need a firearm, but odds are if you ever need a firearm you (or your spouse or child) will die if it’s not in your hand.

7. Communication without having to use cell towers or even ham radio repeaters could well become important at some point so consider networking with other people through church or other organizations to learn how to operate amateur radios and go ahead and get a license for “code free technician” (easy peasy). CB Radios are cheap and require no license but all your conversations are public.

8. Prioritize your time and money towards the most perfect first couple of decades for your children, because if they get much past about eight years old and are screwed up, you won’t be able to undo that. When you get old, you won’t really care what material success you had or how great your career was or what you invented, because a few decades later there will be no evidence of your existence or accomplishments other than the children and grandchildren you left behind.

9. Unless you can find a very good private or religious school that you can be involved with, it’s likely you will wind up spending just as much time undoing the stuff public schools put into your kids head, and helping them with their homework, as you would spend just homeschooling them in the first place. The Internet now has plenty of resources to make homeschooling pretty much a turnkey operation if you want to do it that way.

10. Make people EARN your trust, and if earned, cherish it. Dismiss the others and be nice to them, but engage in business with them only after paying a hard-to-please attorney to approve a contract.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Life Advice

Post by Tycer »

Good advice.
Might want to add “never trust anyone else with your money “ A bank that has your cash doesn’t have to pay you back. It’s an unsecured loan to them. With the reserve currency via the petrodollar we’ve never had to worry about hyperinflation. Other countries are used to diversifying their paychecks.
PMs in someone else’s vault ain’t yours.
Crypto on an exchange ain’t yours.
If you don’t have it in hand it ain’t yours.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Good advice but too complicated.

Two men taught me the lessons I have ever “NEEDED”.

Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it. My dad.

Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark. The old Sarge.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Psalms and Proverbs have the benefit of having been written by the one who made us . . . .

I use a Detroit shop manual some times to illustrate that with the manual you can disassemble and reassemble an 8V-71 and it will run again. This is because the ones who made the engine made the manual. Therefore . . .

Another one I like is the Coast Pilots published by the department of commerce coast and geodetic survey. The ones that made the navigation charts. The coast pilot lists every single aid to navigation on every chart that they publish. If you've never seen this you can download a coast pilot for free.

The point is that when you are piloting down the Columbia River you BELIEVE the chart until and unless there is reliable information that the buoy sank or the light is not working. Otherwise we use those charted aids to assure us where we are, and where the dangers are.

The Bible is exactly like that. The safe places and the dangers are explicitly described in such a way that we can know when we are in a safe place, and when we are standing into danger. We can trust them because they are revealed to us by the One who made us. †
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Good points up above by all.

Quite similar to Tycer's post, my late father's favorite saying was:

"Trust No Man, Know Your Own Course"

Could be the course down river staying in the channel (which moved after each winter), how you navigate situations at work or at home, how to get along with a spouse, etc. You can get ideas and input from others, yes; but it's your life. Take it all in, be careful, be discerning, think critically, and determine "your own" course (of action or direction).

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
765x53
Senior Levergunner

Post by 765x53 »

Every piece of advice I have ever received has always steered me wrong.