I have a pair! Lemme show ya.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

I have a pair! Lemme show ya.

Post by jnyork »

This is a Marlin 39a Mountie and a Ruger Single Six made in about 1960. While stationed at Yokota AFB, Japan in 1963, a fellow airman sold me the unfired pair for $50.00. Keep in mind $50.00 was half a month's pay. Anyway I took them to the Base Exchange gun shop and they sent them off and got them fully engraved over in Tokyo somewhere, both engraved witht the same pattern and with a squirrel on one side of the 39a, a rabbit on the other, both inlaid in silver. Cost me another $40.00 bucks! Also in the deal I got a Hunter old west style holster and belt for the ruger. Still have not fired either one of them. Probably ought to. :)

dkmlever
Levergunner 3.0

Post by dkmlever »

Wanna double your investment? Lets see, 50 plus 40 is 90 times 2 equals 180, heck I'll round it up to 200! :D I only offer since you arenot using them. :wink:
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

York,

NOW THAT IS IMPRESSIVE!!!! What a momento of your service days!! VERY COOL! Oh and I agree, they are beautiful but need to be shot. I think you shoot silhouette if I remember correctly. That Mountie would do just fine!

Geoff
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

Wow ... I think you had better haul the camera back out and do some closeup shots of those. Those are really fantastic.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

And to think what I would have missed. After threatening to show us "your pair", I was afraid the forum had gone down hill! :wink:

Those are beautiful! Only thing better than a great gun is a great gun you got for a song!!! 8)
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
Those are beautiful! Only thing better than a great gun is a great gun you got for a song!!! 8)
Might be a song now, but sure wasnt then. I think my base pay was about 110 dollars, minus the social security, old soldiers home, etc. Was a very major purchase back then.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Great pair!
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

York,
That was a very good investment. I have to say that I don't think I've ever seen another engraved M39. Certainly not one as beautiful as that. I'd love to see some close ups of that.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

SWEET!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

very nice
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Nice :D !The Japanese have very skilled gun engravers.Thanks for posting.
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."
Andrew
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Andrew »

I think you did ok with your investment. I am sure they are worth more than half-a-month's salary today. 8)

I like the fact that you know all about the engraveing... cause you had it done and all. So you know the, well...not history, but work history of the guns. That's cool.
ImageImage
Qui tacet consentit. (silence implies consent)
The Boring Blog
t.r.
Levergunner 3.0

Post by t.r. »

Both are very handsome to my eyeballs. I'm thankful that you shared with us.

A Texas oil man hunted on Grandad's ranch one year. That was back in the days when Uncle Harold & Aunt Eunice owned a motel in Cody and they offered hunts for a fee. This man had an engraved Savage 99 with gold wire accenting. The walnut stock was custom, too. It was barreled for a wildcat that I've never seen or heard about since: 300 Savage case necked down to fire 270 bullets.
TR
Fire Up the Grill - Hunting is NOT Catch & Release!
El Mac
Levergunner 2.0

Post by El Mac »

Jaguarundi wrote:Nice :D !The Japanese have very skilled gun engravers.Thanks for posting.
Too bad they can't have any guns to practice on...