Predator Calls- Electronic our Mouth

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
jkbrea
Senior Levergunner

Predator Calls- Electronic our Mouth

Post by jkbrea »

Are electronic calls better than mouth calls? I want to get into hunting coyotes and have been looking at several models. Some comments I read stated electronic calls get "fuzzy" after awhile and then spook predators so they went back to mouth calls.
I like the advantage of setting them out at 150-200 yards. I don't want to spend $400+ but you probably get what you pay for. Anyone using one they really like?
Centennial
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Predator Calls- Electronic our Mouth

Post by Centennial »

Varmint Al's web site has a build it yourself electronic caller. I have been trying to get the 4 main things I need to make one; a MP3 player with voice recording abilty, a 12 volt mini ampliflier, a 50 to 100 amp speaker, a 12 motorcycle battery. A soft camo ice chest or similar bag makes a good carry package for it.
Look up Varmint Al's.
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

I use an old school cassette player with a remote speaker.
Yellow bellied woodpecker brings them running.
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

I have a Foxpro that is great but cost quite a bit. I use diaphragm mouth calls as well as reed calls. They all have their pros and cons. Practice is what counts.
"That'll Be The Day"
Old No7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old No7 »

Don't overlook the lower-cost/entry-level models from FoxPro, as you get the same FP sounds and a whole lot of call for the money. A few years back, I got their Spitfire model, with 24 sounds loaded. For the same 2 bills today, their newer model (Wildfire, I think) has even more sounds and a much better remote.

If you go for an e-call -- go FoxPro for sure.

Tight groups,

Old No7
"Freedom and the Second Amendment... One cannot exist without the other." © 2000 DTH
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

If you get an MP3 type caller you can download all kinds of sounds off the net in the event that you educate the yotes in your area before you nail them.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I've been successfully calling Foxes with a Johnny Stewart cassette player (best available at the time) & remote speaker for over 20 years - but of course, no electronic caller is as controllable as a mouth call.

I've also had excellent results from a common mouth-blown predator call, and by making mouse squeaks by "kissing" the near side of my closed fist - but zero results from a few highly-touted Coyote mouth calls (There's plenty of 'yote's, hereabouts), maybe because there's almost zero "wide open spaces", like the setups in the Coyote-call promo videos.

Nowadays, there's wireless callers available; but the few cheapies friends have tried, when I was with them, all had "something" go amiss in their operation .

Last edited by Pete44ru on Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
ndcowboy
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ndcowboy »

So many people in our area are using the electronic callers that they seem to be turning ineffective. I'm not a big predator hunter, but I'm hearing this from guys who compete seriously and win contests.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

I use a assortment of hand calls and a e call as a locator call, before you get a e call try some hand calls tally-ho and crit'r calls they are top notch for over the counter you can find them at http://www.fntpost.com/Categories/Predator+Calling/. danny
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

can't answer your question but as an aside, animal calls call bears and a guy I had met was eaten by a brown bear that came to his deer call.

the people, as they call themselves, use a blade of grass in their cupped hands to call deer, I use a plastic gizmo with a rubber band, or a cedar trumpet type of call with a rubber band reed. might be able to tune up to rabbit pitch for mr coyote.

Grizz
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

I have no clue. While I use a reed call from time-to-time, most of mine come from chance encounters on my property. When I lived in CA, I used a reed call exclusively and hunted on two large ranches plus some public land. Was almost always successful.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

Knowing signs are very important. Skat, tracks, kills, habits, approach directions and what they are use to eating is also very important to know. The more you know the more luck you have. :wink: RR7
"That'll Be The Day"
J35
Levergunner 3.0

Post by J35 »

I used a Johnny Stewart cassette caller on and off for years.

Ended up giving it to a nephew.

Can honestly say I never felt the need to place it more then 25yrds from me.

The whole point of calling for me is to bring them in.

Always thought it would be great sport to call with a couple Airedale X Greyhounds laying by your side and when the coyote/ coyote's comes in just slip the dogs.

------J
Keep The Peace, Love and Harmony, These are the Gold Nuggets, All Else Is Sand !!
rangerider7
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rangerider7 »

A buddy in college and I used to go out in the mornings with a pick-up full of greyhounds and spot coyotes and sick them on them. The Alfa would run it for a while with the others taking their turns; then when the party was over my buddy would signal the Alfa to finish it. Done deal. RR7
"That'll Be The Day"