I Bought This Winchester.... (picture heavy)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Shasta
Senior Levergunner
Location: Shasta County, the far right stronghold in California

I Bought This Winchester.... (picture heavy)

Post by Shasta »

M.M. Wright posted a thread questioning the purchase of an old Winchester '94 at a recent gun show, and since I had a similar experience with a different outcome, I thought I would tell the story.

The rifle in my case is a 1920 made Winchester '94 in .30-30, takedown, and it has a half round half octagon barrel with an original Lyman tang sight. Front sight looks to be an old Sheard replacement. Bore looks very good, not perfectly shiny but showing strong rifling with no pitting. Outside has rather poor finish with a lot of rust freckling on all metal surfaces. Wood has some shallow age cracking, but certainly sound enough to shoot. Asking price was $650 (he had just turned down an offer of $600), I really liked the fact that it was a half-round takedown, the rear sight alone is worth $100, and so the rifle came home with me.

Upon closer inspection after my purchase, I found that the rear sight blank was soldered in place, but even worse, the barrel threads were soldered into the takedown adapter flange. Hmmm... now why is that? And why did I not see such an obvious flaw at first sight? I got out my tape measure and the barrel measured 25 1/4" from muzzle to rear of takedown adapter flange, so it apparently has at one time had 3/4" cut off. It had to have been cut from the back side (thus the solder?) as the front sight is the correct 1" back from the muzzle, and the forend hanger, etc. are all in their original place. I should have measured that barrel before buying, and I should have noticed that solder, otherwise I would have probably passed on it at that price.
But wait, things still aren't adding up! According to Renneberg's book on the '94, the center of the rear sight dovetail on a takedown should be 5" from the receiver. Mine measures 5 3/8". The forend should measure 9 3/8", which mine does exactly. So now I'm thinking, how can the rear of the barrel have been cut if the sight dovetail is a correct distance from the receiver and the forend is also the correct length? I don't know what to think now!

Well, at any rate, it is mine now, and so one of these days I probably am just going to take it to my gunsmith and see what he thinks. I still like it and will shoot it if safe to do so. Another lesson learned, more unanswered questions. Here are the obligatory photos:

SHASTA
Last edited by Shasta on Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
California Rifle & Pistol Association LIFE Member
National Rifle Association BENEFACTOR LIFE Member

http://www.hcrpclub.org/schedule.html

avatar pic is Shasta Dam, Shasta Lake, & Mt. Shasta
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: I Bought This Winchester.... (picture heavy)

Post by Blaine »

If you're happy, that's all that matters.... 8)
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

My M92 has that same curved scratch mark on the rear stock. same side too. Hope it shoots good for you.
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

There is a Puzzle in that rifle for sure. I like it. Sixgun should be along shortly and I bet He will know something about it. :) .
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I like it............

You might consider getting that rifle lettered, to determine if the bbl is correct.

Half-octagon barrels were Special Ordered, and could be any length specified - odd lengths (as in: not an even 26", 24", etc) and super short/long bbls are considered rare.

The barrels of takedown rifles were permanently attached to the takedown flange - your rifle might have been resoldered to correct looseness, or might have been originally made like that.

The expedient repair rear sight filler blank is, of course, aftermarket - long before commercial slot filler blanks were made available.

Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

My brother-in-law ran the serial number for me through the Cody Museum records. The only thing they have on it is that the serial number was applied to the receiver in 1918. No other information was available.

SHASTA

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Don't you hate it, when that happens ? :(

Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

For some reason, I seem to recall that Winchester can only "letter" mdl 94 w/serial nos. less than 383,xxx. Other'n the 'polishing room records' and Madis' serial number ranges, we're stuck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Levergunner 2.0

Post by 3855 »

If I understand you correctly, you are taking your measurements from the wrong locations. Barrel length is measured from the rear of the chamber not the takedown flange. That will add 3/4" to your barrel measurement making it correct.

On takedowns, the center of the rear sight dovetail should be 5" from the front of the takedown flange...also making your rifle correct.

From what you have stated it appears your rifle barrel has not been altered other than the soldering.

Good shooting,

A Winchester Collector
Shasta
Senior Levergunner

Post by Shasta »

3855 wrote:If I understand you correctly, you are taking your measurements from the wrong locations. Barrel length is measured from the rear of the chamber not the takedown flange. That will add 3/4" to your barrel measurement making it correct.

On takedowns, the center of the rear sight dovetail should be 5" from the front of the takedown flange...also making your rifle correct.

From what you have stated it appears your rifle barrel has not been altered other than the soldering.

Good shooting,

Sometimes the obvious completely evades me! :oops:
You are of course correct. I took off the barrel and sure enough right there on the back end was my missing 3/4", and the barrel is indeed the correct length of 26". Thanks for taking the time to post, this makes me feel a lot better about my rifle! :D

SHASTA

Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

Sounds like its all working out :D
----- Doug
ArcticGoose
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ArcticGoose »

Cool rifle! I have a soft spot for the half round barrel Winchesters. If everything measures out correct I suspect someone has messed with the takedown flange itself. It should be a nice flat surface (the face- no notch on top) between the notches over the top of the barrel. Looks messed with. I would get that replaced with one properly fitted and get her back out hunting. Love the gun!
"Anyone who claims the 30-06 is ineffective has either not used one or is un-wittingly commenting on their marksmanship." Phil Shoemaker
winchester1886
Levergunner 2.0

Post by winchester1886 »

For $650 looks real good to me, I would give that for it any day.