87 year old rescued from New York

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

87 year old rescued from New York

Post by earlmck »

There are a couple of guns I am thinking of, so occasionally I check the auction sites. Was looking at a "possible" on "Gunbroker" (that didn't meet requirements). You know how they show those "other guns from this seller" at the bottom? Well, there was this old Model 12 Remington languishing with no bids. Yeah, there was a reason... it was a long way from pristine and he wanted $150 to start. So old dummy here, sucker for "character" that I am, chunked in my bid.

So this old babe shows up on the doorstep a couple days ago:
model12a8633.jpg
model12a8634.jpg
model12a8635.jpg
That's a Weaver V22 on there -- worth at least $5 all by itself. The barrel date code is December 1926, so 87 years old. Yes, I realize that with Remington this just tells when the barrel was made and not the gun in total, but it gets you in the ballpark...

Anyway, you are a group who can appreciate "character" when you see it. So you see why I had to rescue this old guy, don't you?

Hey, the bore is shiny and it shucks shells through slicker'n poop through a goose. Haven't shot it yet (waiting for this dang Canadian Cold Front :lol: to get on by)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 87 year old rescued from New York

Post by madman4570 »

Good deal Earl

Hope she shoots spot on!
missionary5155
Levergunner 3.0

Post by missionary5155 »

Greetings and Congradulations.
Ya just never know when a plan will come together..
Mike in Peru
A sinner saved by FAITH in the Blood of Jesus Christ &teaching God´s Word in Peru. John 3:36
Tanker 71-74 NRA Life Ready to Defend the Constitution from enemies within and without.
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

A buck and a half? It is what it is and it really don't look all that bad. As you know, it's a major plus to have a bright bore on an old gun.

Test that baby out with the vintage scope, post the pics of the tight groups and it would be easy to double your money.

Good thinkin' Earl :D ----6
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

1894c

Post by 1894c »

nice old gun...good price...and you rescued it from the anti-gun-clutches of NYS... :)
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Handsome pump gun, and it's only 12 years older than I am. An easy-to-come-by B4 or B6 would look better on it, I think.

Pump 22's are the cat's ankles. Enjoy!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

Love them 12s! Wish I had one! :mrgreen:
Have you hugged your rifle today?
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

Was working with a buddy two weeks ago who asked me to keep an eye open for one for him. Well done! I love your tastes.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Nice find. :)
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Nice scoop - I've sold more than a few of those ElPaso Weaver RF scopes for mostly $25-$30, elsewhere. (I sold an early-50's J-model for $300 in 2012)

Some owners of vintage rifles, sans scopes, want to scope them appropriate to their times (or at least as close as possible).

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Pete44ru wrote:.

Nice scoop - I've sold more than a few of those ElPaso Weaver RF scopes for mostly $25-$30, elsewhere. (I sold an early-50's J-model for $300 in 2012)

Some owners of vintage rifles, sans scopes, want to scope them appropriate to their times (or at least as close as possible)..
Yeah Pete, this scope seems kinda' murky, and this series Weaver is 7/8" of which there don't seem to be many alternatives. I remembered that Leupold made some nice 7/8" scopes one time so I looked on eBay just to see if there were some around. Yikes! one just sold for close to $1000 but there is a kinda' rusty one on now with lots of days to go at just over a C note. First I'm going to see if the little rifle shoots halfway decent before I worry more about sights. Grandkids will end up with this one and their eyes are lots better than mine so maybe the present setup will do 'em just fine anyway.
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry