Range Report: Winchester 1906 .22 Slide

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Range Report: Winchester 1906 .22 Slide

Post by FatJackDurham »

I got up early and drove out to Kittery to check out a rifle I had put on hold. The plan to trade my RB No. 5 for a 1911 didn't work out locally, and I wanted some comfort. Previously, I bought a Henry pump action .22, but I was disappointed with the feel of it. The action is basically identical to their lever gun, but when you use the slide to actuate it, the leverage is all wrong and it doesn't feel as good.

I yearned for the feel of the Winchester 1890, 1906, 62A, Remington 12... When I was a kid, I used to go shooting in the Essex Junction Sand Put with a friend and a Winchester pump. Slam-fire, let 'er rip! So, when I saw a 1906 in the KTP site, I called in about it. I asked why it was only $375, and the guy said, and I quote "It's pretty worn, almost no finish." So, I had him put it on hold and I drove the three hours today to take a look.

The results are below..... It was $395 out the door, $40 in gas.... Serial number 571xxx, made in 1919.

I managed to get home to the range before the sunset. Quick and dirty shooting at 50 yards. Good enough that I wouldn't considered doing anything to the gun.

The stocks are gum wood, at least the butt stock is. I don't think I'll do anything to this gun except shoot it and put it in the safe. However, I might get some walnut replacement stocks, maybe, but of course I'd keep the originals. For the time being, though I am done with wood......
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Re: Range Report: Winchester 1906 .22 Slide

Post by FatJackDurham »

BTW, its my first honest to god Winchester..... May there be many more....
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Congrats. I just got a model 14 pump in 35 rem and my thought after it was I need a period pump 22 to go along with. I like your. How long is the barrel? Very good find.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

20 inches. Picture of yours?
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Slick little rifle, FatJack! Now you'll have to find an 1906 Expert, with the bucket handle forearm, pistol grip stock, and nickel-plated receiver. Bought one of them for my father back in '64 - 25 bucks!
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
FatJackDurham
Senior Levergunner

Post by FatJackDurham »

Experts are nice... Cant afford it.
QCI Winchesters
Levergunner 2.0

Post by QCI Winchesters »

I have one, made in the late 30's, one of the last ones before the 62. Sure a sweet shooter, my wife fell in love with it. Feeds anything, and you can bust clam shells about as far as you can see them. Best .22 I have ever owned. I had a Remington 12A too. Sold it and kept the Winchester.
When you have to shoot, shoot! Don't talk!
samb
Levergunner 3.0

Post by samb »

My favorite, I think you got a great deal. I have three of them, one from 1911, one from 1912 and one from 1914.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Darn it! Another gun I need :D :D
Very nice :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Nice report. I especially enjoyed the photos of that fine little rifle.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Those are neat rifles, grats on the find bro. 8)
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.