permanent Metal Marker

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

permanent Metal Marker

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: have a question for the board. I have some taps, saw blades, etc., that I want to permanently mark. Have no idea what to use as my electric engraving pencil is long gone.

While back, someone told to use an acid based marking pen. The way it was explained to me, this "acid" marker looks like a felt pen and leaves a permanent mark.

Tried to Google it, but can not find anything.

Anybody know anything about these things??

Thanks and a tip of the hat….
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: permanent Metal Marker

Post by J Miller »

Ray,

I understand your wish to ID your tools. I know nothing about acid engravers other than I too have heard of them.

Now a story. 1977 Mom and I moved into a new home. It was not in the best area and the Phoenix PD had just started up their "Operation Identification" program. Basically you go the PD and they'd rent you an engraver to put your drivers license or other ID on your things.
I bought my own engraver and put my DL# on every tool, my TV, and other things to the point that nearly 40 years later I still remember that drivers license number: D111010. Yep binary kinda.
We were burglarized twice. All my tools, tvs, guns, and a lot of things were stolen.

I eventually got back two rifles but NOT ONE SINGLE THING marked with my DL# was recovered. Not one. So mark it if you want to, but in my experience, it's pretty much a waste of time and effort.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Mescalero
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Mescalero »

Working for a large corporation, I had the ability to have my things laser engraved.
I would check around and ascertain if this service was not offered on a pay for work performed.
vancelw
Advanced Levergunner

Post by vancelw »

Raiy Newman wrote:Gents: have a question for the board. I have some taps, saw blades, etc., that I want to permanently mark. Have no idea what to use as my electric engraving pencil is long gone.

While back, someone told to use an acid based marking pen. The way it was explained to me, this "acid" marker looks like a felt pen and leaves a permanent mark.

Tried to Google it, but can not find anything.

Anybody know anything about these things??
Thanks and a tip of the hat….
http://www.knighton-tools.co.uk/acatalo ... _PENS.html
Here's one, but it's in the UK.
http://www.bamcarbide.com/meetpen.html
This one is in USA
"Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one less scoundrel in the world." - Thomas Carlyle
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Like the second link, I use a Birchwood Casey bluing touch up pen on my saw blades.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
Ji in Hawaii
Senior Levergunner

Post by Ji in Hawaii »

Illegitimus Non Carborundum
Akā, ʻo ka poʻe hilinaʻi aku iā Iēhova, e ulu hou nō ko lākou ikaika;
E piʻi ʻēheu aku nō lākou i luna, e like me nā ʻaito;
E holo nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e māloʻeloʻe,
E hele mua nō lākou, ʻaʻole hoʻi e maʻule.
`Isaia 40:31
Hawkeye2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Hawkeye2 »

Taps, dies and many cutting tools are way too hard to mark with an electric engraver so they have to be etched. Measuring tools and gauges need to be etched too so their accuracy won't be affected. Dremel makes an excelent electric engraver that is avaliable at WM & Lowes for under $20 (haven't checked lately).

I spent most of my life in trades were I supplied my own tools and I lost 2 roller cabinets and matching tool boxes full from one shop I worked in. All my tools were marked but I never saw them again and never will! Marking your tools helps if you loose one in the shop or loan them out or have a light fingered co-worker but doesn't do much good beyond that. I have replaced most of those tools and have a basement full of tools however none of them are marked and yes, I do have an electric pencil. If the tools are for your own use and no one has regular access to them and you don't loan them out frequently there isn't much need to mark them. Working in a steel fabrication shop and out in the field as an ironworker the simplest, cheapest, most effective way I found to identify my tools was to paint everything the same color.
Last edited by Hawkeye2 on Mon Mar 12, 2012 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ray Newman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ray Newman »

Gents: the purpose -- except for saw and dado blades -- of the acid-based markers is not really for security purposes as I do not mlend out my tools. I want to put my name on the saw and dado blades as the sharpening shop really doesn’t mark the blades very well and at times has a hard time finding the right blade(s) for the customer.

Periodically, my stationary tools require adjustment to keep them at45 or 90 degrees. It would be easier if I marked the adjustment or stop screw/bolt: <then 90 degrees, turn CC; >than 90 turn C. The nut or Allen size could be marked, esp. the metrics. Sort of tired of paging through the manuals looking for something.

In the case of the taps, I have several large diameter taps that I occasionally used for making wooden nuts and bolts. Had a devil-of-a-time identifying which is left and right. Finally separated them into two different boxes, but I just know that someday I will mix them up again.
The most important aspect of this signature line is that you don't realize it doesn't say anything significant until you are just about done reading it & then it is too late to stop reading it....
Grand Poo Bah WA F.E.S.

In real life may you be the bad butt that you claim to be on social media.
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

i believe Enco has such a marking pen.
HemiRambler
Levergunner

Post by HemiRambler »

McMaster-Carr has the acid pens. They dry out quick so use them as soon as you get them.