My Quest For Vintage USA Made Wool Plaid To Date.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Re: My Quest For Vintage USA Made Wool Plaid To Date.

Post by cshold »

Awsome picture & togs mod71 8)
Tell me about those suspenders, I
want to get them for my new /old
wooly britches :)
turnkey
Levergunner 1.0

Post by turnkey »

I live only twenty miles south of the Soo. I think I'm going to look extra hard for some of those old clothes next summer when I go garage saling. :)
"Every day a holiday, every meal a feast, every paycheck a treasure."
Scharms
Levergunner

Post by Scharms »

iceman wrote:Nothing like good wool clothes. Keeps you warm even if wet and nice and quiet when sneaking through the thick stuff.
+1 American made Wool socks have saved my feet on more than one occasion (when the chinese made "waterproof" boots aren't)!
"I prefer the company of peasants because they have not been educated sufficiently to reason incorrectly" -Michel de Montaigne
bigbore442001
Levergunner 3.0

Post by bigbore442001 »

I noticed the size on those red pants. I haven't been a size 34 since I was in middle school. :mrgreen:

Wool is the way to go here in the northeast. You can get all kinds of weather conditions and it can pull you through. Remember. Cotton kills.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

bigbore442001 wrote:I noticed the size on those red pants. I haven't been a size 34 since I was in middle school. :mrgreen:

Wool is the way to go here in the northeast. You can get all kinds of weather conditions and it can pull you through. Remember. Cotton kills.
Think I was 32 or 34 when I got outta HS !

But now I've EXPANDED a fair amount !

My fiancee over in the Philippines has a 52 year old brother that wears 30" pants and he still needs a belt to hold them up :!:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
walks with gun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by walks with gun »

Since I live up in the woods of northern Mn. I wear wool shirts and coats most of the time. I can chase grouse and deer for miles through damp and snowy woods without getting soaked through and it's about as quiet as you can get. I still take my to garage sales so she can pick up junk and I can get my vintage hunting treasures.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

casastahle wrote:
O.S.O.K. wrote:
FWiedner wrote:Do you use that stuff or is it just a collection?

:?:
:lol:

I could see the coat - I kinda like the coat but I think I'd pair it with some OD green pants or something...

I wonder if he's going to get the calf-length lace-up boots? Oops, now his wife is really going to be mad :lol:

Oh, and don't forget the "stormy kromer" hat.
Yep been checkin those long tall lace-up LL Bean's out :wink:

Here's another source for those tall lace up packs. On a Bean style lace up boot I prefer the insulated boot with a vibram (cleat) sole. The chain ink sole of the original Bean boot actually is very slippery in some conditions, and even worse when the sole is a little worn. Eventually you are going to take some nasty falls hunting in a boot with a chain link sole. Hope this helps you in your quest!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Mod71, do you have a web link for the above?
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

When GK jr and his fiance came down from Newcastle for the New Year he was wearing a red and black plaid shirt, my first words were "bloody h*** where did you get that shirt? I've been looking for one for years, his fiance laughed and said that's exactly what he said when he saw it! :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

game keeper wrote:When GK jr and his fiance came down from Newcastle for the New Year he was wearing a red and black plaid shirt, my first words were "bloody h*** where did you get that shirt? I've been looking for one for years, his fiance laughed and said that's exactly what he said when he saw it! :lol:

I bet you can hook casastahle up with a nice sporting style tweed coat and shooting breeches though !

If I'm not mistaken you guys call what we call knickers breeches correct ? And when you say knickers it's for ladies undergarments :?: :lol:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

6pt-sika wrote:
game keeper wrote:When GK jr and his fiance came down from Newcastle for the New Year he was wearing a red and black plaid shirt, my first words were "bloody h*** where did you get that shirt? I've been looking for one for years, his fiance laughed and said that's exactly what he said when he saw it! :lol:

I bet you can hook casastahle up with a nice sporting style tweed coat and shooting breeches though !

If I'm not mistaken you guys call what we call knickers breeches correct ? And when you say knickers it's for ladies undergarments :?: :lol:
Yes, breeks or breeches in tweed are what a lot of Brits still wear and I guess a few may even wear Knickers... :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Vintage button hole Y back suspenders ($6.95 ebay)
checked off the: "gotta get yet list" :wink:

Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Gamekeeper: I would give a kidney for a pair of moleskin breek!

Casa: I think you have a very healthy obsession, but then out here in the land of Pendleton and Filson, we have a deep fondness for wool. Her's a shot of me in my circa-1940s Filson forester, riding pants and a pair of those high-calf lace-ups from LL Bean. The gun is a Browning pump in 16 gauge. I know, it oughta be a Parker!

cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

Awsome picture Bill :)
tell me about those boots ya got on in the picture.
comfortable? Insulated?
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

Casa: Uninsulated and comfortable, but the rubber shoe can be a little warm on a sunny day. Of course you want that rubber in the wet stuff!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

Bill in Oregon wrote:
That's a great photo, Bill. You are just as handsome as your dog, and our dogs almost always take the top honors for looks!!!

Yes, I see it now...TR's fashion is coming back into style this year and Bill is going to be on the cover of the new Eddie Bauer vintage retrospect catalog!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

casastahle wrote:Mod71, do you have a web link for the above?
I forgot that didn't I. http://www.schnees.com/
Bill in Oregon
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Bill in Oregon »

...as handsome as my dog!

:D

That's a real compliment, as I believe a Brittany as about the purtiest thing on four legs!
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

My vintage deer hunting outfit is now Complete. :D

The boots I decided on are a new pair of Sorel Maverick’s with 200 grams of Thinsulate.

The 15” boot height should lend well with wearing those vintage wool pants the way
they were intended to be worn, with the leg cuff inside a heavy wool sock and boot.
I think I did half decent on the price too, Ebay $87.99 brand new in the box :)

BobM
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BobM »

Very interesting thread. I recently got a good deal on a slightly used red/black Filson double mac coat and love it. I've also accumulated some wool shirts and pants and wore them on a camping/hunting trip last week.

As far as storage are you guys using mothballs or anything else to protect the clothes?
jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

BobM wrote:Very interesting thread. I recently got a good deal on a slightly used red/black Filson double mac coat and love it. I've also accumulated some wool shirts and pants and wore them on a camping/hunting trip last week.

As far as storage are you guys using mothballs or anything else to protect the clothes?
No. The mothball smell will stink up the whole woods during hunting season. I just hang mine up in the closet. A week or so before deer season I'll hang them out in the shed in order to get the house smell out of them. My jacket (and the old pair of pants that I bought with them) are more than 40 years old, and whatever holes are in them have been patched with remnants that I bought over at Johnson Woolens. Not an exact match, but so what--still wool. The holes are, by the way-from wear and tear--not moths. My green and black hat is in the closet through summer months, and the rest of the year is on my head. It's a bit faded now, and If I go over to Johnson and buy a new one, I expect to have to remove it when facing the Good Lord before I have to replace it for any other reason. Those things last for more decades than I've got left.
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

BobM wrote:Very interesting thread. I recently got a good deal on a slightly used red/black Filson double mac coat and love it. I've also accumulated some wool shirts and pants and wore them on a camping/hunting trip last week.

Woolens are stored in a big o'l antique cedar blanket chest.
Never had a problem with moths "knock on wood (cedar that is)" :)