What's up with Lyman!

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

What's up with Lyman!

Post by Mainehunter »

A month ago I ordered through Lyman an expanding button size .356 for my M die. Waited and waited, placed a call or two they said it's being processed and ready to be shipped. Just got an email today saying the expanding button for that size has been discontinued :!: :shock: :evil: Now why couldn't they have told me that a month ago. So know I'm stuck without an expanding button. Maybe I should try CH4 to see if they could make me one.

Mainehunter :wink:
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Re: What's up with Lyman!

Post by Cimarron Red »

mainehunter,

Try calling RCBS. I know they offer alternate expander plug sizes for various calibers, and I think they'll fit the Lyman M dies. You can also try Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho. I believe they'll make you a custom expander.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/?PAGE=Main
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Cimarron Red wrote:mainehunter,

Try calling RCBS. I know they offer alternate expander plug sizes for various calibers, and I think they'll fit the Lyman M dies. You can also try Buffalo Arms in Ponderay, Idaho. I believe they'll make you a custom expander.

http://www.buffaloarms.com/?PAGE=Main
Thanks, I'll give RCBS a try.

jlchucker
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jlchucker »

Not surprising. I've never had much luck calling Lyman for any reason. Most of the time nobody even answers the phone. The last time I called them (and got through) it was about a model 66 LA receiver sight that I had bought, then discovered it had some wobble, front to rear. The lady that answered told me that this was part of the design. I've pretty much given up on Lyman these days. Especially after being told that they design receiver sights with built-in movement. I'd opt for RCBS, or as Mainehunter says, get someone to machine a part for you that will be correct.
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ouch! This isn't good news. If Lyman has quit making something as common as their .356 M expander they must be going out of the loading die business altogether. I'm going to run an inventory on my "M" dies and make sure I don't need to get something for future use while the big boys still have them in stock, as the "M" die is integral to all my cast loads. I just looked at Midway and they show the "35 short" as still in stock (my 35 die, that must have started out as the "35 short" I just measured at .3563. I swap it into a long die body for 35 Rem, back to short when loading .357).

Thanks for the "heads up".
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Dear Sir,
We have just been informed in Customer Service that
the 356 Expanding Button is obsolete and is no longer available.
This item has since been removed from our website. We have
canceled your order. We do apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Janice/Lyman Customer Service
This is just to follow-up with the email that I got. I did shoot an email to CH4D Tool & Die to see what they can do but looking at there website they do make them. I'll keep you guys posted.

Catshooter
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Catshooter »

They fell into the Coorprate America pit. Customer No Service is their watchword. A real shame, too.

Cat
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Re: What's up with Lyman! UPDATE!

Post by Mainehunter »

Just got an email from CH4D. They can make me a .356 plug but it will take 6 months which is typical for them :roll: . I'm kind of hesitant to have them make it because the last time I had them make custom dies it took nearly 10 months to get it. I do have a lathe but unfortunately it's buried in storage just don't have the room right now in my garage. Tried RCBS and it's about the same time frame to get it. I just don't get it with these die companies :x if it's Lyman, RCBS, CH4D, etc. The .358 expander ball (screw in) or plug is very common to either rifle or pistol. There should be no reason not to have them in stock! The way I'm feeling right I need to come up with a game plan to make some room in my garage (mostly junk), yank out my lathe and make an expander ball myself!

earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Mainehunter, thanks to your post I got motivated and ordered M dies from Midway for 26 and 32 cals because I figure I will want to load some cast bullets in 260 Rem and 32 Special sometime in the next year or two and they are still In stock. So for $19 plus shipping I'd also be including the 35 short for loading .357 and 35 Rem if I didn't already have it. I admire your desire not to have to get a die body you don't need but just how much aggravation are you willing to put up with to avoid the extra die body?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

earlmck wrote:Mainehunter, thanks to your post I got motivated and ordered M dies from Midway for 26 and 32 cals because I figure I will want to load some cast bullets in 260 Rem and 32 Special sometime in the next year or two and they are still In stock. So for $19 plus shipping I'd also be including the 35 short for loading .357 and 35 Rem if I didn't already have it. I admire your desire not to have to get a die body you don't need but just how much aggravation are you willing to put up with to avoid the extra die body?
Maybe I'm blowing this out of proportion but the aggravation is toward Lyman leaving me hanging for about a month. The other thing is I can't get the actual die either! They are on back order at Midway and Natches. Just like I said in my previous post I'm going to end up making my own. Question I have are you planning on getting just one die for the 260 Rem and just get the expander plug in 32 Special? Just curious.

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Hi, mainehunter,

Here is your expander plug at Buffalo Arms:

http://www.buffaloarms.com/Detail.aspx? ... 8&CAT=4166

At $19, I suppose it could be cheaper, but where are you going to find one, except in the headstock of your own lathe.
Mainehunter
Senior Levergunner

Post by Mainehunter »

Cimarron Red wrote:Hi, mainehunter,

At $19, I suppose it could be cheaper, but where are you going to find one, except in the headstock of your own lathe.
Thanks for the heads up! I kind of forgot about them.

Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Mainehunter
Cimarron Red wrote:Hi, mainehunter,

You're most welcome!
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

Sorry for the mess in my previous post. Obviously I'm not too adept at using the quote feature. Nor, apparently, the edit feature!