Prayer request (for me)

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Prayer request (for me)

Post by mod71alaska »

Last week I fell backwards off a platform I was working on. I couldn't turn to break my fall so I landed full weight on my back across the corner edge of a stack of 2x10s. The impact was excruciating. I went to the ER and X-rays were negative. However, this week I went back to the ER still in very extreme pain. A CT scan revealed 2 fractured vertebrae in my lower back that didn't show in the x rays. The doctors said, "No wonder you hurt!" I'm on a "comfort cocktail" of prescription meds which I count the minutes to get to! With limited activity and careful movement I feel pretty good until the meds start to wear off, or I move just right...or wrong would be more accurate...and the pain is right "off the chart." I very much would appreciate your prayers for God's healing hand. I am exceedingly fortunate...and grateful...I didn't break my back with CNS damage. Thank you my friends and fellow Levergunners for your prayer support. Victor
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Prayer request (for me)

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Ya got it from me, get well quick.
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Done.
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Sounds like you were extremely lucky. Praying you heal quickly without any long term effects.
Old Law Dawg
RustyJr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by RustyJr »

Will do.

RustyJr
Life is a storm, my young friend. You will bask in the sunlight one moment, be shattered on the rocks the next. What makes you a man is what you do when that storm comes.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Going out for sure.....
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Ask your doctors about whether or not calcitonin (a Rx product for osteoporosis), high-dose vitamin-D, or any other 'off label' thing might speed healing. There is currently no official consensus on these things, but I can tell you many physicians use them on themselves and their family members when such injuries happen. Don't just borrow unused Rx from a friend, though; your situation might be such that they should NOT be used.

Anyway, sometimes there are extra things you can do that aren't in the "protocol", that doctors don't volunteer unless you ask them.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Prayers up...Do the PT they want you to do...Motion is lotion :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Victor, I am so very sorry to hear this. You certainly have my prayers. Having crushed 3 vertebrae (L1-L2-L3), I can certainly relate to the pain. I pray that your healing is quick. If there is anything I can do for you, let me know. Prayers and blessings my friend.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
earlmck
Advanced Levergunner

Post by earlmck »

Ouch Victor! I know what you're talking about there: I thought I had high pain tolerance until a ruptured disk pushed on the sciatic nerve and I found out what a wimp that constant pain can make you. What saved me (along with the pain meds) was one of those adjustable beds where you raise your head/back and also can adjust the feet/knees. At about one little position I could hang in there and even get some sleep on occasion. Your injury is different than mine but might be a similar type of bed would help. I see them advertised on TV under the Posturepedic brand. Mine is a combination of Ikea motorized frame thing and a Bed-in-a-Box mattress.

Also you gotta watch those wonderful meds because they can shut down some other vital processes. For a while there I thought I was going to die of the constipation after I'd survived the back surgery. My doc kinda' forgot to warn me about that part; you might want to ask 'em about taking action ahead of time.

Hang in there and it will get better. Maybe take advantage of enforced down time to plan out a neat gun thing... new wildcat project or something that requires real cogitation. And do you need some of your fellow levergunners to keep the rust out of the barrels of some of your 71s and 64s :D ?
The greatest patriot...
is he who heals the most gullies.
Patrick Henry
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

Prayers sent for a speedy recovery!
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Similar issues, You have all my empathy, and prayers.
2X22
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 2X22 »

As one who has battled back pain for 38 years, I have sent my prayer for you.
"Yes, we did produce a near-perfect republic. But will they keep it? Or will they, in the enjoyment of plenty, lose the memory of freedom? Material abundance without character is the path of destruction." - Thomas Jefferson
pwl44m
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pwl44m »

Thk U for the privilege to have been able to Pray for a Fellow Lever Gunner. Hope the healing process goes well. I know the Pain of which U speak, I fell from a ladder from about 4 feet high. I fell across the corner of the steps leading into the House from Garage on My left side. My Coworkers said I was screaming so loud that They didn't hear the Ambulance coming. It was a slow healing process for a simple fractured Rib.
I am not a Fan nor Advocate of PT too soon or until They know exactly what is wrong. All too often U r rushed to PT after a simple Xray which is definitly not conclusive causing more damage. JMO
Heal quickly Friend and know that U r Thought of.
Perry in Bangor----++++===Calif
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Prayers sent for a complete recovery and freedom from pain.
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

Prayers up!! My back and neck are all messed up from a life of abuse and I've busted ribs before (joy...) so I have some inkling what you're dealing with. It sucks!!! I will agree with those who've thought "thank God" you didn't break your back. Egads. Also, I'll voice a concern about the prescription meds - I know that you need them, but please be careful not to get hooked on the dang things. Some really stand up folks have had a heckuva time getting back off 'em.

Best,
Oly
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Done. Heal quickly and well.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Prayers sent...get well soon....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pitchy
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pitchy »

Prayers sent.
Because I Can, and Have
-------------------------------------------------------------
USAF-72-76
God Bless America.
Disclaimer, not responsible for anyone copying or building anything i make.
Always consult an expert first.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

On the list . . .

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

+1 on the fiber and fluid. With a bum back, you can't even dig em out with yer own finger. Oh honey....grab a spoon....

On a healing note:

Comfrey (aka Knitbone ) is the herbal poultice for this. I've used it and astounded the Drs. twice on two of my kids.

It has no drug interactions.

According to AMA, it contains a substance that can be harmful to the liver in overdose, although I've read where that info came from tests done on the isolated substance and not the whole plant.

What the mainstream medical folks say about it:
http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/comfrey-000234.htm

The quote below is pretty close to how I've used it, but Gaia Herbs has a Comfrey Compounded Salve that would probably work well and some folks use the Tincture on pads taped to the area.

In my opinion, these centuries old healing ways are still around because they work.

http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/fractures.html wrote:COMFREY POULTICE
Sent to us by Cloe Jazwinski of Los Angeles, CA. Cloe knows a thing a two about healing a bone fracture. Besides being one of the most talented web designers we know, Cloe is a 2nd Dan black belt in karate (Shotokan) who's used comfrey salves to heal two bone fractures. She writes, "Comfrey is one of the most well-known healing plants, especially for its ability to heal tissue and bone (due to its allantoin content, which promotes the growth of connective tissue, bone, and cartilage, and is easily absorbed through the skin). Besides broken bones, these externally poulticed leaves and roots are also used for cuts, bruises and sprains."

Recipe: Comfrey is best used fresh and simmered. Use the sticky paste to make a compress and attach it with an elastic bandage. Use every night. This will speed the healing of the fracture dramatically.

To heal her fractures, every night Cloe would grind several tablespoons of comfrey with a mortar and would bring it to a boil with a few spoons of water. She then would make a paste out of it, spread the paste on a cotton cloth, wrap it around her arm, and put elastic bands or safety pins in to secure it. Even though she had 2 fractures, Cloe decided not to wear a cast but a sling, which is why she could take off the sling at night.

Writes Cloe, "The feeling of that compress was heavenly. Even though everyone said I'd always know where my arm was broken (rain and humidity brings back the pain for the rest of your life), I never felt it and I attribute that to the comfrey compress routine. It's known to heal wounds extremely fast as well (I use a pre-made ointment of comfrey and aloe on scratches and minor wounds and they disappear overnight). I see comfrey as the crazy glue of broken bones and skin..."

Comfrey Caveats:
Not recommended for internal use as there is some controversy about carcinogenic effects. The controversy around the use of this plant concerns its pyrrolizidine alkaloid components, which are considered carcinogenic to the liver; however, these studies have been performed on rats that were fed up to 33% of their diet in comfrey leaf. Studies done with the whole plant (rather than with isolated constituents) do not show carcinogenic effects but rather the opposite. In fact, the Japanese use comfrey vinegar extracts for treating cirrhosis of the liver.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

Get well quick!
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Absolutely, prayers sent for a speedy recovery Victor.
That deal with the bed like earlmck mentioned, and the advice Doc AJ suggested sounds like some good stuff.
Just be cautious while while not avoiding PT just make certain with clarity that the therapist/Doc's don't start treating your back to
aggressively too early on. Your body is its own best injury indicator,and use it's warnings.
Reason I say this, is a good friend last year had sort of a similar type thing happen(fell off the top of a railroad boxcar on some skids)then given high doses of pain meds which masked/mask the pain and then went to therapy too early on and is now really screwed up having already 2 back surgeries so far. Be very anal on them giving you the exact reasoning of all their decisions concerning your rehab/meds.
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

as another back pain sufferer, all i can say is,

YEEOWWWCH. :shock:

no quick way out, do the pt right and heal right.
think long term. :wink:
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Prayers said!
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Hagler
Senior Levergunner

Post by Hagler »

Done.

Shawn
"That's right, Billy, I'm good with it. I hit what I shoot at, and I'm fast!"-Lucas McCain, c1882.
ImageImage
WCF3030
Senior Levergunner

Post by WCF3030 »

Done!
Heal soon.
That which does not kill me has made a grave tactical error.

http://thewoodsman1.blogspot.com/
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

Victor,
Prayers up and away for continued healing and am very thankful that it wasn't worse,
Heal quickly,my friend !!!!!!!
Ron
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
dennie
Levergunner 2.0

Post by dennie »

Prayers are up, my friend.
dennie
NRA Benefactor Member/Bluegrass Picker
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Best wishes for a fast recovery. Prayers up!
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
BC in TN
Levergunner 2.0

Post by BC in TN »

Prayers sent, Victor.
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

Prayers Sent Victor,back pain I know first hand is terrible.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Get well soon Victor, prayers sent.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

Prayers sent for a full recovery !
Dave
Senior Levergunner

Post by Dave »

Prayers for your recovery. Don't get discouraged
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

DANG, Victor - I wish you'd stop doing that ! ;) :mrgreen:

Get better, friend - it might be time to slow down & smell the roses.

I took heed from Clint, myself - several years ago - ( "A man's gotta come to terms with his limitations ! " ) :roll:

Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Prayers up Victor! Please take it slow and easy, and follow what your doctor says to the letter.
Canuck Bob
Senior Levergunner

Post by Canuck Bob »

You got it buddy. God bless.

I did something similar many years ago. Once healed you will be able to predict the weather but it will most likely not result in long term restrictions. The pain made this grown man whimper like a politician caught in the wrong toilet stall!
mod71alaska
Senior Levergunner

Post by mod71alaska »

At 5:30 this morning I was lying in bed watching the morning light break and listening to the early birds singing. I hurt quite a bit and didn't want to move, but was looking forward to the new day. As I lay there I thought about your prayers. I was deeply moved and an abiding Peace came over me. Thank you, my friends.

Victor
Dave B
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Dave B »

Prayer sent. I am glad it isn't worse and hope that you heal quickly.
Take care,

Dave B
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

I'm praying for you sir.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Victor,

If feel your pain. Injured my back 39 years ago. Prayers up... like others said, take it easy NOW and be careful so that you're good to go down the road.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Prayers sent !!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

Done
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Victor,
Take two .348's (250 gr. ST) then go hang out in the great Northeast. Can I come? :D ---------Me
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Done.
Don't worry, you'll be on the mend right away.