New Winchester 94 44 mag SRC

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

New Winchester 94 44 mag SRC

Post by bluesman423 »

I just picked up a Winchester 94 saddel ring carbine in 44 mag, serial number 3290***M. It has a 20" round barrel and is blue.

My question is what kind of wood should the stock be made of? I don't believe it is walnut because it has been stripped and is light in color.

Thanks!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Re: New Winchester 94 44 mag SRC

Post by Old Savage »

Probably birch.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

OS is right. My .44 SRC had birch wood also. I kept an eye out for a nice used set of Walnut here in the classifieds and made the switch.
Wood removal was needed on the fore grip barrel channel because it came off a rifle with a much narrower barrel than the .44
Very much worth the trouble, birch is no fun to look at :wink:

ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Stan in SC
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Stan in SC »

It does look good but it's all a matter of preference.To me wood is wood.You don't look at it when you are shooting.

Stan in SC
The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45-70,it's almost a religion
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

bluesman423 wrote:I just picked up a Winchester 94 saddel ring carbine in 44 mag, serial number 3290***M. It has a 20" round barrel and is blue.
My question is what kind of wood should the stock be made of? I don't believe it is walnut because it has been stripped and is light in color.
Thanks!
My Win mdl 94 of that vintage in .44mag had walnut. It wasn't light in color. Methinks maybe someone before you has changed them out. Does it have a plastic buttplate, or is it checkered steel?
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
bluesman423
Levergunner 2.0

Post by bluesman423 »

Buttplate is checkered steel, has even "bled" into the wood a little. The wood seems to fit the metal very well.

What vintage is this Winchester? If I look up the serial number using only the numbers (no M suffix) it comes back 1970. Not sure if the suffix would change that dating or not.