Ruger NM Blkhwk 45 convertible question.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Ruger NM Blkhwk 45 convertible question.

Post by Topside »

If like a dumbell, a guy bought a new model Blackhawk (brand new 2 yrs. ago) and now realizes he'd much rather have the convertible model 45 Colt/ACP, should he sell what he's got and re-buy or are there any other options?

It used to be said, you could send the gun to Ruger to be fitted with the acp cyl. I'm asking you all what you'd do. Thanks.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
adirondakjack
Senior Levergunner

Re: Ruger NM Blkhwk 45 convertible question.

Post by adirondakjack »

Over time, Ruger has flipped and flopped on this issue. Sometimes they say .45 ACP cylinders only sold to folks with a "convertible", other times they seemed open to selling em for your idea. SOMETIMES ya can luck into a loose cylinder, and sometimes it'll even fit.....
Certified gun nut
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Topside, I'd give Ruger a call and see if they can help you out. If they can't there's the option of looking for an extra 45 ACP cylinder. If that doesn't work, well, I'd keep the original and buy a convertible. How's that? :D
Old Law Dawg
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Life is short---buy what you want. :D

If you want a 45 ACP cylinder, you obviously have a mess of 45 auto you want to rid yourself of. If not, load the 45 L---ooo----nnn---ggg Colt to the same specs.

If the answer is "no" to the second paragraph, see paragraph #1 :D -----------Me
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

I had a 5 gallon bucket half full of .45 ACP ammo. I have an Old Model Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I bought a .45 ACP cylinder and lucked out as it fit my pistol perfectly. Paid well over a hundred bucks for it.

That was 2 or 3 years ago. I still have a 5 gallon bucket half full of .45 ACP ammo.

The ACP cylinder shoots perfectly fine. I'm just not all that interested in shoot the short stumpy rounds. But I can, if I want.

When you bought that BH was it brandy new or used? If used someone might have sold the ACP cylinder to get some pocket funds. Call Ruger's record dept and see weather or not it was originally a convertible. If so then yes they will replace the cylinder. But it will cost you well over a hundred bucks.

You can also go over to the Ruger Forum and put in a WTB add in their classifieds. I see the cylinders there all the time.

Or, go buy you another BH with the extra cylinder. They you'll have to to play with.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Topside
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Topside »

Thanks everybody for the advice. Being that the gun was brand new when I bought it, I won't be able to order a replacement acp cyl. for it as it never had one. Might try my hand at selling the blkhwk at the next gun show and put the money toward the convertible or I might just get content with shooting the acp ammo in my 1911. Thanks again.

T.
"A righteous man has regard for the life of his beast."
--Proverbs 12:10
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I'd call Ruger first and let them tell me no. All that would cost would be a few minutes of your time and the price of the phone call. You never know, you might catch someone at an odd time and they'd consent to do it. After the call you''ll know about your options first hand instead of he said she said.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Once upon a time in a galaxy far, far away, Ruger supplied and fitted a 45 ACP cylinder to my 45 Colt Blackhawk. Truly, it did happen. :mrgreen:

Seems to me I've seen ads for a guy (company) that will fit a cylinder for you....not Ruger.
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts