You've found a time machine, ....

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: You've found a time machine, ....

Post by J Miller »

jeepnik,

You guys are taking this too serious. It was supposed to be a fun thing.
Obviously some will have ailments that would preclude going back.
Just use your imagination.
How about this; the time machine will not only transport you back in time it will fix your ailments and leave you in the best of health.
See, imagination just for fun.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Malamute
Member Emeritus

Post by Malamute »

Fun idea Joe.

Winchester round barrel short rifle 76 in 45-75 cal, with a shotgun butt, Colt SA in 45 cal, and a Smith 38. A riding horse and a packhorse. 200 rds rifle ammo, 100 pistol, and 50 38's. Take my dog I reckon, and enough gold and silver for getting going. Don't need to buy a ranch, you could homestead back then. I can think of a few places I'd like to have been able to homestead.

A good read on the concept, is "Timeline" by Michael Crighten (sp?) . The movie was absolutely horrible, and didnt resemble the book in the least. I've listened to the book on CD from the library several times and enjoyed it each time. Location and time period is different, but a good story.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-

Isnt it amazing how many people post without reading the thread?
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

Best time travel novel by a long shot is Jack Finney's Time and Again.
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
LeverBob
Senior Levergunner

Post by LeverBob »

"As for that knot head prevaricating preacher I suggest we just ignore him. When that time comes we'll know it. As for him he's just after his 15 minutes of fame before he kicks the bucket."

BWAAHAAHAAHAAA...Mie Amigo, you couldn't be more right (or should I call you Pastor?) NO ONE KNOWS THE HOUR OR THE TIME, NOT EVEN THE SON OF GOD....ONLY THE FATHER & HE WILL SEND THE SON WHEN HE DETERMINES THE RIGHT TIME.

I'll give the scriptures if anyone wants, but I think all the brethren already knows what they are.

If something like a time machiney thing happens, I will miss you too! But, it ain't going to happen...you're needed here, at this time, in this place & you ain't goin' nowhere except west in due time.

LB
olyinaz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by olyinaz »

J Miller wrote:Oly, NO NO NO NO NO NO, you got it all crabbed. This going back in time is to get AWAY from nonsense like that. Piece and quiet, rest and relaxation. Not to bring it with you.
LOL. :lol: No way man! A world without gas powered toys? No flushy on the loo but flies instead? (And where would I read??) Iced tea without the ice? Egads!!

There's a lot about this world that I do not like, but if I went back there I'd join forces with Edison and Tesla and we'd be off like a bottle rocket making really COOL stuff for the folks there. Not very many daggum rules yet to get in the way either! It'd be a BLAST. :twisted:

Best,
Oly

P.S. My wife made me add that I'd take her. :roll: And she also pointed out that as a man of the times, Edison blended in just fine - as per your original instructions! I'll "blend" my way, you blend yours! :wink:
Cheers,
Oly

I hope and pray someday the world will learn
That fires we don't put out will bigger burn

Johnny Wright
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Joe, great "fun" post, I've often daydreamed about such things and wondered if I could hack it back then.
Of course my time machine would have to cross the pond as well as time, don't want to be stuck here in 1880. :roll:

I would be happy with a 73 carbine 44/40 and SAA to match and a solid old S/B shotgun.

As for a companion, any levergun members interested in time travel would make fine companions but Old Savage being such a Babe Magnet would be fun to follow around 8) it sure would be great to get to know a few nineteenth century beauties, I would not want to end up with someone like Big Nose Kate.. :lol:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
Gobblerforge
Senior Levergunner

Post by Gobblerforge »

An 1873 Winchester in the brand new 38WCF. Nice. I think I would just take a whole bunch of gold coins and jot down a few things to bet on once I'm back there. The rest I'll just buy with the wealth of winnings. Things like"Who will win the next election?"
Gobbler
Click Click Boom
M. M. Wright
Advanced Levergunner

Post by M. M. Wright »

I'll just stick with my 44-40s. '73 Uberti and Colt SAA. Would like to take my Baretta 12 sxs.

Joe,
You might want to rethink Arizona in 1880/81. Chiracauas on the loose and Tom Horn chasing them. I guess land would have been cheap though.
Can I take a bunch of penicillin with me? Saved my life from pneumonia back in '45 when it was just starting to be used on civilians.
M. M. Wright, Sheriff, Green county Arkansas (1860)
Currently living my eternal life.
NRA Life
SASS
ITSASS
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

How about a Merwin Hulbert in 44-40, and a twelve gauge double barrel, exposed hammer shotgun? :mrgreen:
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Dont need nothing(OK my yellow Lab) :lol:
Joe, I take it we can still retain our current memory?
Heck, I will be able to predict the future and will be rich and famous :mrgreen:

If we cant keep our memories then I will just take my Lab and three 12ga shotguns and move to Newport Beach,Ca.
Because the Law on cut down shotguns was not created then(1880), one of the three would be about a foot long.
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:Besides - we've all seen time machine movies and you can't take anything with you. I don't want to end up nekkid in the middle of anywhere back then, let alone near a mining town or sheep herder camp.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

vancelw wrote:Besides - we've all seen time machine movies and you can't take anything with you. I don't want to end up nekkid in the middle of anywhere back then, let alone near a mining town or sheep herder camp.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

J Miller wrote: Once I found the time machine I'd sell everything I owned and buy period gold and silver coin with it. Then I'd pick up a quality made cap and ball revolver to carry till I got from the dump point to a good well stocked store. Those were still in use as primary weapons well into the 1900s and cartridge ammo isn't a concern. Once there I'd buy a Winchester 1876 in 45-75 and a Colt SAA in 45 Colt with ammo and loading components to match. From there I'd head out to the Arizona desert and buy me a ranch. That shouldn't be too awful hard then.
I have the knowledge to keep my shooters in good repair and not abuse them and with a bit of boning up on the history of the area I think I could do quite well.
Joe
Well, I guess I would do pretty much as Joe, except I would go to Northern New Mexico. That said, 1880 would not be my choice of a time to go back to. Make mine 1955. Great cars and great music! :wink:
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva