HUNTING RANGE: HOW FAR CAN YOU EXPECT TO SHOOT?

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

HUNTING RANGE: HOW FAR CAN YOU EXPECT TO SHOOT?

Post by Bogie35 »

Hey folks. I know distances vary. I've hunted heavily wooded areas in which a 40 yard shot was max, but I've also hunted the edges of fields where shots can be 200+. I guess my question really is: In your favorite hunting areas, how far are MOST animals (deer/elk/moose) when you see them clearly and can shoot them? In my area, a general estimate is 100 yards and in.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Re: HUNTING RANGE: HOW FAR CAN YOU EXPECT TO SHOOT?

Post by jnyork »

50-200, never more. You can SEE them clearly some time a mile away, but that's when the hunting starts. :)
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Out here it can be anywhere from 35 to 500 yds. My longest one shot kill on a mulie was 310, and elk 225.
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Bigahh
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Bigahh »

40-90 yards for 80% of Rifle shots. There is always that chance that makes me nervous with my 30-30 with the 200 yard Big Oak ridge shot. I need to see if I can make that shot with a 30-30 or Just bring my .308, but the 30-30 just feels better in my hands. Every year I see deer moving at that distance on the big ridge, but I cant ever get a posative I.D. on the deer in and out of the trees when they are moving. I need to find out what MY effective range is with the rifle I use. The other question I ask myself is what bullet is best for that situation?
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Southern Indiana - 25 to 150 yards typical for deer around here; coyotes 100-600 yards (if you see them!)

We see lots of guys who put up a stand on a field-edge, then shoot deer out 400-500 yards into the field (often moving deer, no less :roll: ), so that's why they use 7mm Remington Magnum bolt-actions and .30-06 semiautos even though it is a "pistol-caliber rifle" state. Of course once the deer gets moving, the 'hunters' are oblivious as to backstop, so they occasionally put holes in houses or cars or livestock half a mile away. :evil:

Good thing is, though - they usually DO get their deer, after 5 or 6 shots (and if you don't 'waste' a bunch of ammo actually sighting-in your gun, it makes up for using a few more on opening day). Even if the meat is all chewed up from all the bullets, at least they can salvage the antlers... :evil:

[/rant off]

Anyway, 95% of the hunters around here limit to realistic ranges, don't shoot at running animals, and are pretty responsible.
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

Hmm... I'd say no further than 150 yds. Where the boys and I go, up north, it's mostly pretty tight evergreens, but with the ocassional open area. These areas aren't that big, but some are sorta long and thin. Truthfully, for most of the shots, a fixed 4 power scope will do just fine, but a 3x9 variable is nice to get a better look, but it seems that even with today's variables, you give up a bit of light transmission over a fixed.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
rogn
Levergunner 2.0

Post by rogn »

Were farm land interspersed w/ heavy cover. swamp, forest, cut over and few hedgerows. Shots range from 10 feet to about 300 yds. In cover you may have an extended period of travel, but in openfields(feeding areas) the time is very limited to a short span in the AM and a brief period in thePM. THe terrain works out that the 50 to 300 yd shot is the most common one.
Boreman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Boreman »

In the Eastern mountains where I hunt,150 yds max and with all of the ridges and hollows,the norm is probably 80 yds or less. On some of the ridges I can see Deer at 400 yds or more,but it would take me an hour to get within range to make a good clean shot.
Model-71's forever !!!!
NRA Patriot Life Member
Endowment level
FOPA #5
GOA,Inc
WVCDL,INC
cshold
Advanced Levergunner

Post by cshold »

You can only hit as far as you can see… :wink:
Birdman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Birdman »

My personal spot is out to around 100 yards. I know others around me with more land who can go 200 plus yards. Illinois is not a centerfire rifle state but with modern slugs or inlines they reach out pretty good.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

rogn wrote:Were farm land interspersed w/ heavy cover. swamp, forest, cut over and few hedgerows. Shots range from 10 feet to about 300 yds. In cover you may have an extended period of travel, but in openfields(feeding areas) the time is very limited to a short span in the AM and a brief period in thePM. THe terrain works out that the 50 to 300 yd shot is the most common one.
That pretty much sums it up for me :D

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

There are three permanent deer stands on our farm. Two of them you can expect a max shot of 125 yards or so, with most being much closer. The other stand is on a long open pasture ridge where a pipeline clear cut intersects. I've shot my farthest deer from that stand, and it lasered 323 yards.
NRA Life Member
CEMENTHEAD
Levergunner 3.0

Post by CEMENTHEAD »

Normally 10-75 yards......if you can sit still. :D

One field, I rarely hunt anymore, you can shoot up to 425yards.
War sees no color, sex, or ethnic background - wars only see blood shed by our heroes for our freedoms.

I Am An American! Fighting for our Country and our way of life.

Fourth Generation Veteran and Proud !!
Old Time Hunter
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Old Time Hunter »

Most are 85 yards or less

This is one of my favorite spots, has a max range of 65 yards, but have taken some nice bucks within 50 yards of this spot:

From here you can have a 300+ yard shot down the logging trail and I did once get a doe from a measured 235 yards with a .30-30, but again most taken from here have been less than 80 yards.

From here you have 270 degree visibility to see movement and critters out to well over three hundred yards, but your shooting distance has always been under a hundred:
the previous picture was taken from this spot, the tree stand is off and above the left shoulder. This is the area that most of the deer have been harvested from that tree stand.

And this time of the year, they are a little closer...
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Probably anywhere from 35yds to well over 500yds.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Most of my deer hunting is semi open hardwoods and small field edge. I have taken deer from as close as 15 yards to as far as 200 yards. I would say most of my shots are around 75 yards.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

I have kept a log of all my game, and the results are as follows (includes bow and muzzleloader): Range from 20 yards (archery deer) to 400 yards (bull elk); average of all kills is 130 yds (for all weapons), and 170 yds for rifle; 90% of all kills were under 200 yds.

This is all western mountain hunting. I always prepare to shoot at least 300 yds. There has only been one animal further than 300 yds where I simply couldn't close the distance, and that was last year - the first time in 26 years of hunting.
Chad
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

When I see deer it's normally 25-75 yards. I have put the crosshairs on at least one deer a year at this distance (except for last year) They're usually does, and we have a little stare-down since they're not legal to take. I usually cross paths with them while I'm on the move.

I did stake out a canyon once and a doe entered from the far end, about 250-300 yards. That's been the only time I saw a deer farther than 75 yards. I try to be prepared for 300 yards.

I have gotten one buck and it was from 20-25 yards, I came around the bend and saw him through the foliage.
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

All my deer have been taken within 50 yards :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Where I normally hunt deer are usually within 75 yards. There are a few spots on the property where a shot( down a logging road) can be 225 yards. The few times I have seen deer way down the logging road they looked tiny compared to my front sight.
Pisgah
Senior Levergunner

Post by Pisgah »

In this area, the typical shot comes from a few feet to maybe 50 yards. There are situations -- clearcuts, powerline rights-of-way, large pastures -- where you might get a shot out to 300+ yards, but these are fairly rare. Rifles of the .30-30 class are adequate at least 90% of the time; but if you are one of those who hunts the open areas, a good .270 or .30-06 will be more than enough.
big bear
Levergunner 2.0

Post by big bear »

My first elk ,15 years ago,35yds.Following 5 elk all 300-400yds,last falls elk,32yds or so.Bear all less than 100yds, frequently less than 50.Sheep 300-450yds.Moose 30yds to 450yds. Deer all less than 200yds,this years blacktail,40yds.1 goat,325yds.
86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

I expect to shoot as far as the cartridge I am carrying will allow as far as accuracy and power. If I train and prepare to do my part to the cartridges full extent that I am still accurate, I am prepared for anything. I have stands that allow no more than 100 yard shots, others that would give me a max 200 yard shot and then there are areas where I could foreseeably shoot 500 yards if I wanted to. I hold my personal maximum range to a bit more or less of 400 yards under ideal circumstances. However, most of the time if I am 400 yards now, I can get closer before shooting. Each situation is unique. There are times/places where you cannot get closer than where you are and the question becomes "do I want to make that shot and can I"? I've taken long range shots, I've passed a long shot in favor of moving closer and I've passed up the animal altogether. Again, each opportunity that presents itself is unique and the decision to act or not to is unique to that moment. I am limited by the cartridge, sights and my own confidence in ability when it comes to hunting range.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Open areas and woods... from a few feet to 500 yards. But, I don't expect to shoot unless the quarry is within 150 yards. I've extended that on a few occasions. Farthest shot at game, ever, was about 325 yards. And while successful, I believe it was just blind luck.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
oic0
Levergunner 2.0

Post by oic0 »

25-75 yards, I would have to be shooting down a trail, power line, or pasture to make a longer one than that.