OT: It Don't Pay to be 70...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

OT: It Don't Pay to be 70...

Post by Buck Elliott »

Late last week, we lost two septuagenarians close to Cody...

One was a well-known botanist, who had just published his life's work on the succulant plants of the Greater Yellowstone. While walking unarmed in the woods, in Kitty Creek, near the family cabin, he was attacked and killed by a 400-lb male grizzly. The bear was just waking up from having been sedated, tagged & collared, and was P1$$ED, to say the least. The next day, the bear was spotted and killed by Wyo G&F investigators.

Number two was a rather unlucky gentleman who had been fishing with family members on the Upper Sunshine Reservoir, near Meeteetse, when an ominous storm moved in. The decided to 86 the fishing expidition, the the subject of this treatise had walked up a hillside to try to retrieve some messages on his cell phone, when BAAAMMMMM! He and his phone were terminated on the spot.

The closer I get to that particular age, the more I feel like I ought to worry about it... Doesn't the Bible say something about "three-score and ten...?"
Last edited by Buck Elliott on Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT: It Don't Pay to be 70...

Post by Rusty »

Yep Buck three score and ten, but God can take away or add to.

I hear the more you complain the longer he lets (makes) you live.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Buck, you dont strike me as a guy that needs a thin ice sign like those 2 other guys needed. danny
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

I don't see how age had anything to do with the demise of either of those two gents.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

All things considered, I'm thinkin it's better to reach 70 years of age, than not. ;) :mrgreen:

I've only got a couple of years to go, though............................................. :shock:

Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

Since I am 3 score and 15 all I can say is do all your doin' before you reach 3 score and ten. Trust me, unless you are in super health it starts getting a lot harder to do anything like you could do at 70, especially if you are/were an outdoor guy.
But I must say, every day above ground is a good day considering the options.
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[every day above ground is a good day considering the options.]

Truer words have never been spoken.

JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Buck, the bible does say in Psalms 90:10, The days of our years are three score and ten; and if by strength they be fourscore, yet is their strength labor and sorrow: for it is soon cut off,and we fly away.
As far as the alternative II Corinthians 5: says, to be absent from the body and to be present with the LORD, a much better place.
I am 71 and real close to 72 and I still have my own hair and teeth and don't use scopes on my rifles.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Well, God had some of those Guys living hundreds of years.......Ya never know when you'll get lucky....
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

Buck Elliott wrote: The closer I get to that particular age, the more I feel like I ought to worry about it... Doesn't the Bible say something about "three-score and ten...?"
It also says this, Matthew 6:25-27

Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat or drink; or about your body, what you will wear. Is not life more important than food, and the body more important than clothes? Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they? Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life?
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

Not worried at all, really --- just seemed kind of coincidental -- and I'm not far from that age myself... Another couple years..

At least both those old boys were up and out & about, doing what they loved doing, not tethered to some hopital bed or wheelchair, being pumped full of toxic juices, while being drained of their life's savings, like so many of the "elderly" in our society...

R.I.P. to both of them
Regards

Buck

Life has a way of making the foreseeable that which never happens, and the unforeseeable, that which your life becomes...
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

Hope they were both Christians and that they are in Heaven now.
Buck---don't take what happens to others as a sign for you. Those two fellows just had accidents which could have happened to anyone at any age. If things like that meant that being a certain age were to be the end of it, then most of us would not live to be twenty. Accidents are just accidents.
I am only 45, and kind of looking forward to seeing how old I can get because I want to see grandchildren and great-grandchildren, and maybe get lucky like my grandmother did and be able to be the oldest in a 5 generation family photo.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Take out a tape measure. The average man somehow survives to age 85 now. Draw the tape out to 85", grab your age, and let the "past" fall down. Better enjoy what you have left. :wink:
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
BigSky56
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BigSky56 »

Everybody has their name and a date on a bullet what you have to watch out for and not step in front of is the bullet thats says "To whom it may concern". danny
Buck Elliott
Member Emeritus

Post by Buck Elliott »

BigSky56 wrote:Everybody has their name and a date on a bullet what you have to watch out for and not step in front of is the bullet thats says "To whom it may concern". danny
Ain't that the livin' truth... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

As for some of the other comments... It isn't that I'm at all worried about getting older. I'd much rather that, than not, believe me. Just thought it was sort of coincidental that the ONE thing that tied the two stories together was the mens' age... If luck and/or genetics is any indicator, I'll be around, bothering people, long after I'm 90....
Regards

Buck