whats wrong with

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
sgtgrinche

whats wrong with

Post by sgtgrinche »

the 44/40 cartridge? i have been comparing ballistics and the 44/40 is no slouch.
this cartridge has better ballistics than the 44 special and comparable to mild 45 colt loads. why has it become so obsolete? :?:
Terry Murbach
Shootist

Re: whats wrong with

Post by Terry Murbach »

THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH THE 44WCF/44-40 AND WHO SAYS IT IS OBSOLETE ???
RIDE, SHOOT STRAIGHT, AND SPEAK THE TRUTH
sgtgrinche

Post by sgtgrinche »

maybe i stated that wrong, terry maybe under appreciated or over looked :oops:
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

One reason 44-40 gets passed over is laziness.. Lots of CASS shooters and others like the 45 Colt because they can use carbide dies.. No sizing lube & its' removal that you have with the 44-40...The cases thin necks have to be watched out for too... Not as easy to crank out as the 45 Colt....44-40 rifle & pistol combos wernt an issue way back when, cause most folks didn’t reload...So it was popular then...
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Gun Smith
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Gun Smith »

The reason the 44/40 cartridge is lightly loaded by the factory is that it must be safe to fire in the weakest gun ever chambered for it. All factory ammo is loaded this way for obvious reasns, think liability. The 44/40 can be hand loaded to compete with the 44 spec, 45 Colt, etc. It just happened to be an early chambering in weaker design guns, and got stuck with light factory loads.