Picked up a Trapper

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Picked up a Trapper

Post by C. Cash »

Well I made my first gunshow purchase in my life this past weekend. I picked it up and couldn't put it down. It seems to be a ca. 1992-3 mfg. and in 44 mag. Looks to be fired very little. I took off the carrying handle(Bushnell scope) and am looking at reciever site options. Gonna try some Mt. Baldy Keith 250's, after I make sure i can get a dummy round to cycle.

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Picked up a Trapper

Post by Borregos »

Looks nice, well done. :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks Borregos. I didn't get it for a song, but you just don't see these in my neck of the woods too often so I had to drop the hammer. I load for 44 in my Rugers/US Arms so it made sense. 9 Rounds of 44 mag. is my idea of a tactical rifle. I am very impressed with how they handle and hang steady on target. Hope she shoots as good as it looks/feels.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

awesome. those trappers sure are nice! next up, range report! thanks
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I'm debating on what lever I want to use for my saddle longarm. A trapper might fit that role nicely. Looking forward for the range report.
Old Law Dawg
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thanks guys and will do on the range report! This one looks to have the factory "feed ramp" polished into the chamber face, so maybe it will tolerate the Keith bullets crimped at the crimp groove. I'm going to put my feelers out for the non-rebounding hammer parts as well....forgotten how stiff the rebounding hammer can be. But for now just to have some fun and find out what it likes...... :mrgreen:
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

:wink: :D
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

I hope you enjoy your trapper as much as I've enjoyed mine !

Both Williams and XS Sights make receiver peep sights which utilize the two rear scope mount holes atop the rear of the receiver sidewalls.

The XS will require a much higher front sight blade - not usually needed when peeping a Trapper - because the body of the sight sits atop the base which straddles the bolt.

Both Williams peep sights, the 5D-94AE and the FP-94AE, also have a base that straddles the bolt, but the William's sights are designed to carry the peep's horizontal bar behind the base, which allows a much lower positioning, AND zeroing with the issue-height front sight blade.
mav
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mav »

Congrats Chris. Did you get it over at the Grange Fairgrounds? What was the turnout like? I haven't made that show the last couple of years.
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Yep I have one in .45colt and wouldn't trade it for nothing. You are gonna love yours. :D
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
madman4570
Advanced Levergunner

Post by madman4570 »

Very nice! :mrgreen:
You have some very nice guns!
Can't wait to hear how she shoots!
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Excellent Chris! Congratulations!!! 8) :mrgreen: :D
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Appreciate the kind comments and tips fellas! I am indeed very blessed with the collection I have.

Pete...yeah, love the Williams FP...it is on the Big Bore 356 Win. on the left,with an Ashley front. I have found that the best thing about the Williams is that it puts the peep closer to your eye and provides for more precise accuracy, IMHO. I had the Ashley rear on the BB for a short time, but did not get the accuracy I've gotten with the Williams. I am tempted to get the Williams again for the Trapper but hate to clutter up the left side with the saddle ring already on there, but may have to go for it anyway. Pretty is as pretty does I guess so I probably shouldn't be so concerned. The Ashley would look better and be faster on target. Still trying to decide.

Mav....yes indeed, got it at the fairgrounds. There were probably 60-70 people in the building when I was in there. I was there at noon, which means the Dutchmen had already been picking stuff over for 6-7 hours! :wink: I still cannot get used to the post Obama prices. Saw a couple of decent deals but mostly sticker shock. Lots of Winchester 37's and almost bought one as a parts gun.
Gregch44
Levergunner

Post by Gregch44 »

Nice, I love Trappers. I have a matching set with big loop levers installed. .357 Mag, .44 Mag, .45 LC, and I have now added a .30-30. And yes, I know that I need one in .32 special. Did I mention that I love Trappers. I have 11 Winchesters in total.
Alan Wood
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Alan Wood »

I love my ranger (trapper in cheap stock) in 44 magnum. I don't know how much you plan on shooting in one sesion but my shoulder tended to be rather tender after 50 in one range session till I put a recoil pad on it.
Alan Wood
Bob
Levergunner

Post by Bob »

I put a Lyman 66 on mine and love it. It feeds the big Lee 310 grainers just fine. You're going to love that little sweetie!
Bob
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

FWIW, this is what a saddle ring Trapper looks like, Lyman peeped:

Last edited by Pete44ru on Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Very nice Pete, and thank you for the reference pic. That looks a little slimmer than the Williams. I've heard about the legendary recoil impulse of the 44 mag. in a rifle. I'm kind of a mild dude when it come to loads...feel that a med-large diameter bullet moving at a moderate speed will suit my needs. Accuracy is more important to me than end to end penetration on a Bull Buffalo. Some 310 Gr. Camp/Hog/Bear Defense loads would be nice to work up though. Appreciate the input fellas! :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

:cry: I'm so sorry you got stuck with a hunk of junk like that.....I will give you 200 dollars for it to ease your pain.... :wink:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Congrats on the .44 Trapper. My .45 Colt Trapper also has the throated chamber:
Extractor cut cropped web.JPG
It will feed and chamber any bullet shape, any weight, as long as the COAL is 1.75" or less.
I hope your .44 does the same.

As for recoil on the heavy loads it can be noticeable :o :roll: , but ... you know, pain makes you more of a man. :lol: :lol:

Oh yeah, I forgot, mines got a steel :mrgreen: Lyman 66A :mrgreen: on it:
AE 45 - bolt face r forward a web.JPG
AE 45 - bolt face top forward web.JPG

Joe
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey Blaine....uh, I think I'll pass! :P I may have something your interested in though, and will email you.

Those are great pics Joe...many thanks my friend. I was beginning to wonder if anyone else had the feed ramp on there. Had a BB 94 in 444 Win. which also had it. I am told that the factory did this to aid in feeding, which I did not know. I was nervous about it at first but then realized that the extractor groove actually goes deeper. I am glad this one has it, based on your experiences with feeding. The Lyman looks good on those.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

Nice purchase mr Cash.

Now then, my trapper and a fool proof Williams needed a taller front in 30/30! With out it the sight was down on the bolt!

Best wishes.

N.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Nath wrote:Nice purchase mr Cash.

Now then, my trapper and a fool proof Williams needed a taller front in 30/30! With out it the sight was down on the bolt!

Best wishes.

N.
Thanks Nath!
william iorg
Levergunner 2.0

Post by william iorg »

Chris,

Some of the worst thumping I have taken from rifles has been at the hands of light 44 Magnum rifles.
I prefer the Williams sight to the others for this type of rifle as you will be adjust elevation as you try different load and bullet weights. It is really too bad Lyman does not make a sight for the Angle Eject rifles as the Lyman sight is more easily adjusted in the field and easier to remove (read quickly removable) when you want to use open sights.
Slim
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Great to see your post Slim. Yeah I always remembered your comments on the 44 Mag, especially since you already shoot the light Big Bores. The 444 Marlin always impressed me but I must admit I've not ever fired the 44 Mag. in a rifle. I've only gotten as far as getting my brass ready to prime as this past week has been getting ready for the Turkey opener with my middle boy. I'll have to email you about that...good fun. Should be back this week with a range report on Skeeter's load in the Trapper and US Arms Abilene.
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

william iorg wrote:Chris,

Some of the worst thumping I have taken from rifles has been at the hands of light 44 Magnum rifles.
I prefer the Williams sight to the others for this type of rifle as you will be adjust elevation as you try different load and bullet weights. It is really too bad Lyman does not make a sight for the Angle Eject rifles as the Lyman sight is more easily adjusted in the field and easier to remove (read quickly removable) when you want to use open sights.
They do. It's the 66A. All you have to do is drill and tap two little tinsy holes for it. Gunsmiths been doing that for a couple weeks anyway. Seriously though my AE Trapper has a Lyman 66A on it. I D&T'd the holes for it myself.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
gak
Senior Levergunner

Post by gak »

I've got a different .44 Mag experience. Having had several 20" carbine and 16" (both round barrel) trapper 92s and multiple Pre and Post 64 20" and trapper .30-30 94s, I've felt the recoil tables have it wrong.

The books show the .44 having greater "measured" recoil by at least a pound or two. To me, WRT at least felt recoil, it is the other way around. The 44's is more sharp or abrupt, shorter "cycle"--as in a .357 revo is more sharp than a .44 in terms of characteristics--I'll grant that, but much less of a "big deal" than the .30-30's ka-whomp. Neither the .44 or .30-30 are really objectionable, but comparatively speaking the .44 is lighter to me--to the degree that, .44 cost advantages aside, I consider the .44 the only "plinker" between the two.

I think I'm in the minority view on this, and that's always puzzled me, but that's been my observation over 30-35 years of both cartridges/formats side-by-side. Btw, we're talking a variety of mostly 240 grain .44 Mag loads--no cowboy stuff or Specials (in this comparison)--and mix of "standard" 150 and 170 .30-30s.
71fan
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 71fan »

My 44 trapper was my first levergun, is my go-to levergun, and will be my last levergun should it ever come to that.

Mine wears a XS rear and the factory front, but I use threaded apertures in all my XS rears so I can use smaller peeps if desired.

Mine won't reliable feed SWCs loaded in 44 sp cases, but everything else feed just fine.

They are great rifles. Congrats on the addition to your collection.
Chad
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Finally got to touch off a few rounds today. As usual, I was on the run but couldn't take not shooting it anymore. Frustration! First shots at 50 yards I could not get on paper, holding up or down, left or right. Fired up most of my rounds just trying to get on there. Brought it back to 25 yards and it still was not on paper! :shock: Aiming 12" down and to the left on a diagonal, I finally got in the black. Remember this is at 25 yards, with the elevator on it's lowest notch. I did not take photos of the groups as it was all over from having to aim so far off. I drove home kicking myself, thinking I had once again bought some one elses problems...off center sights I was pretty sure as they looked really cockeyed. The sights had been hidden by a scope when I bought the rifle, and on closer inspection when I got home from my range trip, I could see the the rear sight was either bent way to the right or it was milled at an off angle. I am not too bothered by this as a receiever sight is in my immediate future. This is good news . The other good news is that I am love with the recoil of this rifle and the Skeeter loads(7.5 gr. Unique and Mt. Baldy 250 Keith). Leading seems to be not a problem at all. The gun really seems to like the Federal 200 gr. LSWCHP, with bullets stacking on top of each other. Only problem is it spits junk back in the face. I've never experienced this with a rifle. So, off I go, shopping for a good reciever sight, and will get some more bullets loaded up. I think my wife and kids will love shooting this one. Such a break from getting beat up by the 356 Win.
locodriver98
Levergunner

Post by locodriver98 »

My little trapper is now chambered for the 454 Casull.
Deer killing little pipe and still shoots the 45 colt.
I use Little Gun for reloading lot less pressure and it will shoot the 250 xtp over 2000 fps.
locodriver :D :D :D
Paladin
Senior Levergunner

Post by Paladin »

Pete44ru wrote:I hope you enjoy your trapper as much as I've enjoyed mine !
Congratulations, on a great find.
It is not the critic who counts
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Thank you Gents. I am smitten with how this little thing handles and feels....I now understand why so many get addicted to this handy little rifle.