July 2009 Tonasket shoot

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

July 2009 Tonasket shoot

Post by Whit Spurzon »

With the temperature predicted to approach 100*F it was decided that rather than have two matches - rimfire and pistol caliber - it would be either or. Most went with rimfire but a handful shot the pistol calibers.

I used my Mountie, and had a good day on the boars (9) and rams (8) but struggled with the feathered targets only hitting ONE turkey... YIKES ??? My total score was 24. I think 31 (Paul) won the day in the rimfire class and 38 in the pistol caliber (The Match Director Al was responsible for that impressive score).

We missed you Geoff.

Hard to take pictures while participating but I did get a few.

The Captain cleaning up
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Re: July 2009 Tonasket shoot

Post by Wind »

Hey there Whit - It was good to see ya last weekend. You definitely elevated yourself up and out of the "vegetarian class". Nice shooting!! Did wish we could have gotten together up here and incinerated something on the BBQ. The pizza was great as always and we can try again the next time you get over here on the east side. Coaching the new guy was fun, and at 18 his first time out of the box, he done good. Let's make a point to try to shoot together next time!! I like that you are a top notch spotter as it helps my game. Best wishes. Wind
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Can anyone play?
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Yahooo! Sounds like you guys had fun. Hanging with the long haired sailor dude can be an adventure. Last time I was up there (the only time) we ended up shooting pistol cartridge rifles at regular silhouette distances. Quite the adventure as we were expecting the targets to be 100m and under and I didn't have anything close to the dope needed for the longer ranges. It was fun any way. Gonna have to see about making it up for the August shoot. And, I'll make sure what shoot their holding.
Old Law Dawg
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

BlaineG wrote:Can anyone play?
Blaine, if they let me, they'll let anyone. :wink:
"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves." -Will Rogers
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Wind,
We were bummed out we didn't make it over for some sizzled bovine flesh. Some neighbors of ours from the "coast" came by for an extended visit and my time to escape the "honey-do" list evaporated. The upside is we got some more work done on the shack. It's getting down right comfortable now.

Its looking pretty good for August right now. Order up a cooler day for us would you?

Here's what I did at the shack:
Insulated and soffited the porch. Finished another wall of siding.

Added a window on the backside.

Insulated and back sheeted the interior - I'm thinking about covering the walls with some rough sawn Doug Fir I'm getting from a sawyer over on Whidbey inexpensively.

I did the entry/interior loft lid with T&G Pine, I'll probably do the vaulted lid the same way.

The loft
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey Whit - Yes indeed, a man with talent. GREAT spotter AND designer/carpenter. The shack is really coming along!! I'll work on a cooler day for the August shoot. The Omak Stampede is that weekend too. I've been thinking about a shooting extravaganza here also. I'll let you know as things develop. Wind
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Whit,

Great to see the familiar faces in the pictures. That crazy Al R. can REALLY shoot!!! 38 out of 40!!! I heard from Dave K. that Tom G. cracked the 30 mark. Everyone seems to be improving.

Geez I've been busy. I finally checked in over at Marlinowners and I think the last time I logged on was 18 April. That tells the story!!! The apple growing season demands unbelievable intensity.

I did get to spend 6 days in Charleston, South Carolina last week. It was my 20 year wedding anniversary and I felt we should do something special. TOTALLY enjoyed South Carolina!!!! Definitely my favorite state on the east coast! People are super friendly and the history is top notch!

I'll try to make the August match. I'd love to give my original 1897 Marlin a try. Got to thank Jdad for turning my attention to that sweet old gun on gunbroker.

Well thanks again for all the pictures!!! Couple of new people I didn't recognize. That is GREAT to have new shooters joining our ranks!

All the best!

Geoff
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Whit,

I forgot to mention CONGRATS on how your cabin is coming along!!! That is fantastic. I remember when you came over here looking for land. You've come a LONG way!!!! Make sure you have some good fire breaks around your house. Sure can burn over here on the DRY side!

Geoff
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Wind,
The shooting extravaganza sounds interesting. Maybe have to 'rent' some of Al's 'pigs'...

Like you say, they are a might tough to eat but they fit nicely in the freezer.

Geoff,
I figured you had your hands full. I'm hoping it's going well for you this year and you'll have time next month to tip over a bunch of critters. Yup, Tom derailed 31 I believe. I didn't get a look at what Al was shooting - Wind would know - but he seemed to connect with every shot. Impressive. Except for the arrays I was shooting at there were a good many empty rails during the shoot - used up some shoe leather and paint on that day. Great fun, thanks for the encouragement to come over and try it.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey all - Al was shooting a raggedy ol' Winchester 1892 in 25-20 caliber. He missed ONE chicken and ONE ram for a score of 38/40. I was between a rock and a hard place. I had some killer new loads for my 100 year old Winchester 1892 in 25-20 AND a sweet shootin' Marlin 39A I'd never competed with. Went with the 39A for the abbreviated match this month and will shoot the '92 next month. Wind
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

What area near Tonasket are the pictures taken at.In the early 90s I would stay at
the Red Apple Inn and work in the area for two months or so,I was in the windmachine
buissness so I spent a couple springs there.I loved going up there, good fishing too.
What in the wild world of sports is going on here
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Wind »

Hey there m. wun - The range is just above town. Cross the bridge on 4th street, just about the center of town (4 block long main street). Turn left for a few blocks and then up the hill a half mile or so on North Pine Creek Road. Heck, come on up and reminisce, shoot some silhouette, but I'd recommend "The Junction" over the Red Apple these days. Or better yet camp out at my place and by pass the motel thing!! Best regards. Wind
m.wun
Levergunner 3.0

Post by m.wun »

Thanks for the info.It was along time ago already and havnt been back.I know right where you are talking about,I worked on windmachines all over that area.I loved too go up too Chapaka lake and see mulies on the hills and whitetails in the bottoms.There seem to be
plenty of pheasant then too.The Red Apple even back then wasnt the Ritz Carlton for sure
I always wanted too drive the road from Conconally too the coast.Brings back a few
memories.Thanks
What in the wild world of sports is going on here