Tonasket Silhouette Match - Missed Memo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Wind
Levergunner 2.0

Tonasket Silhouette Match - Missed Memo

Post by Wind »

Well it had to happen I guess. My two nineteen year old nurses, Bubbles and Bambi are off for a couple weeks at a mud wrestling symposium somewhere in Florida. Tifany (one “f”) and Saphire are filling in ‘til they get back. Amongst their other duties, the girls are to keep track of all e-mail and memo’s headed this way. Somehow the memo on the April silhouette match slipped by. Kimwcook drove up from points south, and we met for breakfast. We had previously color coordinated our outfits, discussed our rifle calibers and manufacturers so as not to be shooting the same outfit at the same dance and things were looking rosy until we turned into the range. I had told him this was supposed to be a pistol caliber rifle and .22 rim fire match. “I wonder why they are out at 200 meters setting up those really big, heavy rams” I said to kimwcook. We had just met so I’m sure he wasn’t clear whether that confused look on my face was normal (the correct answer) or if he should start worrying about how his first silhouette match was starting. I was informed by the Range Master, his honorable Al Rise, this, according to the memo, was the last big bore silhouette match and it would be pistol caliber and .22 rim fire next month! Kimwcook, being the trooper that he is, says “all we have to do is get some sight settings for the 150 and 200 meter targets, and we’re back in business”. Now he’s shooting a 45 Colt with 255 grain bullets, and yes, that is a good plan for him. I’ve brought my 100 year old 1892 in 25-20 with a whopping 60 grain bullet. I’m thinking sight setting AND 40 knots of tail wind!! Kimwcook’s bullets are a full 400+ per cent bigger than mine. But yes, the breeze is picking up. Got some sight in time. Now it’s match time. Boys and girls, how do we spell “ring rams (and turkeys)”? Kimwcook went on to have an enjoyable first match. The wind continued to build and blew down everyone else’s targets, but none of mine. I was flushed, and barely managed to grasp the rim at the last second. After the “match” we had a great pizza. I just hope kimwcook will forgive the girls for missing the memo, and will come back up and do it again. Did I mention he was a trooper? A really good trooper? Your humble(d), under-gunned scribe. Wind
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Tonasket Silhouette Match - Missed Memo

Post by jdad »

It sounds like you had a third member hanging around you two.....Mr Murphy. :D

I completely missed last weekends match....I forgot when the first Saturday of the month was. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Boy I HOPE KWCOOK had a decent time after driving all of that way!!!

My boy has made the starting lineup as a sophomore and had a double header baseball game today. Figured I'd better be a good dad and go and support him. Sorry I missed it.

Wind I know what you mean about "ringing" Turkeys and Rams with a .25-20! I like my 1892 Winchester so much I tried it on Long Range a couple of years ago and it's fine for chickens and pigs and DISMAL on the others!!!

Glad to hear KWCOOK has a good attitude about it all.

Geoff
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Wind, I know you felt bad, but it was a hoot anyway. What's a guy to do, throw his lower lip out, kick the dirt and have a miserable day? Nah, we got in a days shooting. It was fun.

I've got to say Wind is never at a loss for words. Both, at breakfast and lunch, he's making talk with the waitresses. He says he doesn't want a full time woman, but I told him he keeps up talking to them like that he's gonna find one that jumps at the deal. :D

I drove about 125 miles that morning and was a little early getting to the restaurant. I parked in the parking lot and had only been there a couple of minutes and I see a pickup pull up that looks like it could be Wind's. I can only really see the right side of the cab. I see something move, but can't really tell what it is. It's seems pretty big and hairy. Come to find out it's Wind's dog, Cleat. He's a Great Pryenees and he's big. I don't know how Wind is able to fit in that Toyota pu cab at the same time as Cleat. He's huge. He's a really nice dog. I swear he could carry a 50-60 lbs. pack.

Oh, I've got to say Wind likes things kind of fuzzy. Cleats big and really fuzzy and, well, Wind's kind of fuzzy too. I had a camera with me, but didn't really have the time to take pics.

We had a great breakfast and headed to the range. That's when we found out we were undergunned for the most part. My Marlin CB in 45 Colt was throwing enough lead. Just hadn't ever been sighted in for those ranges and let me tell you it was a steep learning curve.

Had great fun. The wind was howling about the time we got to the Rams and it kept blowing over the rams and various other silhouettes.

Wind would tag'em with that little 60 grn bullet and they'd ring but wouldn't fall down. At least not every one and when he got to the bigger ones, well, it was a real stuff shoot as to whether they were going to even move. I'd only shot that CB at SASS shoots and well you don't have to be real accurate there. So last weekend I take it to the range and shoot at the 50 and 100 yd. targets. I know it's not the best, but I really didn't have the time to develop anything better. But, It would be a day shooting which is better than anything else.

After the shoot and lunch Wind invited me out to his place and gave me a tour. He's working on a pretty good sized two story place by himself and he's doing a great job. You can tell he spent a large portion of his life on the sea. Just by the way he builds and plans things.

Overall it was a great day. A little long in the saddle, but i'd do it again. And, some day will. This summer is going to be very full. I've got my own shop to build. So I don't know when I'm going to be back up there, but if I find the time I'll go again.

Wind, you were a great, great host and it was a pleasure to meet you. I'm sure I'll do it again, but be better prepared.
Old Law Dawg
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sounds like a fun day! Glad you got to see the Palm Springs of the NW! :wink:
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
RKrodle
Senior Levergunner

Post by RKrodle »

Sounds like a good time was had. I want to try shooting some silhouette one of this days, has to be fun.
Ricky

DWWC
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

It is really fun. I could really get into it with the right rifle, some prep and time. It's really satisfying when you hear that ring and your target goes down. It's not like shooting paper where nothing happens other than a hole.
Old Law Dawg
Whit Spurzon
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Whit Spurzon »

Once I found out Bubbles and Bambi weren't going to be in attendance I had my mom write me a note excusing me for being absent from the match. I do regret not getting to say howdy to the "fuzzy guy" (Cleat) and missing some awesome pizza (who would have guessed the best pizza in WA is in Tonasket?). It is my turn to buy the pizza though :oops: ...

Hopefully I'll get to attend next month. I'll be sure to bring the right guns. :wink:

Wind and Geoff are are great guys and excellent shooters. I'd highly recommend attending one of these shoots, it's well worth the drive.

Besides being a crack shot, Wind did a great job building and installing my sister's cabinets. If'n you're looking for some custom woodwork, Wind is the guy to talk to.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Shooting silhouette is great fun, just never did it cowboy style.
Scopes, jacketed bullets, 500 meters, you know that way.
Would like to try it the cast bullet way.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Whit,

I sure agree with your observations! The local pizza place IS awesome and Wind's talent with wood working is topnotch! He put in a workbench for me and he's just finishing up shelves for my wife.

I heard they had the most ever shooters but I never heard who won the match?? WHO AND WITH WHAT SCORE??? Enquiring minds want to know! Fill us in Wind or KWCOOK.

Geoff
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Geoff, I believe I heard who won, but I don't remember their name. Wind will have to fill you in.

There was a bunch of guys there.
Old Law Dawg