4 Weeks, 4 Days & Countin'...

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Edited: See my 2nd post on page 3...
Last edited by Griff on Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Re: OT - Day 2 down! Now I could Stand Some Prayers

Post by Grizz »

I know you can do it and I'm glad to hear you are...

Grizz
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I'm with you brother, quit smoking 7 times - last time summer of 80' - you can do it. Tell you what - if you don't, just send me one of those 51 Navys. :D
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Going out for you Griff!!!!
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
iceman
Senior Levergunner

Post by iceman »

Best of luck!! I have to try and quit smoking myself, but you have to have your mind made up and nobody can do that but you. Hang in there.
Happiness is a comfortable stump on a sunny south facing mountain.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

I quit smoking in '90, but I've chewed for about the last 8 years and I've quit once and started again. I need to do the same thing and I'm just about ready to do it for good. I'll say a prayer for ya Griff.
Old Law Dawg
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Hang in there Griff, you can do it.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Post by BenT »

Keep busy ,stay occupied and don't think about it. Go play with your ponies.
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

Good luck buddy.
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
20cows
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 20cows »

One of the most difficult times for me is while doing fun activities like shooting and riding during which I always had a chew. It was just part of the package.

You have to figure out something to replace it in your mind. Bubble gum (lots of it and refresh often) may or may not work. It's all about association.

Good luck!
Little Doc
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Little Doc »

hang in there griff
when i was where you are early 80's. i bought sugarless gum by the large pkg. and when i wanted a chew i got me one. cept it was the gum. all of a sudden about three years down the road i did not want the gum anymore. not had a chew or dip since then. quit smoking in 1980. ain't had a chig since then either. that took three try's before it took. good luck, and as you said after three days it is just mind over matter. keep us posted on your success. hang in there.
little doc
deerwhacker444
Senior Levergunner

Post by deerwhacker444 »

You can do it Griff, hang in there.!

If you need some serious help getting over the hump, go to Google Image Search and look up Oral Cancer or Mouth Cancer. That should give some extra encouragement.

You can do it..!
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men
shall possess the highest seats in Government,
our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots
to prevent its ruin
." Samuel Adams
Bogie35
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bogie35 »

Praying for you Griff!
Don't say "never". Just quit for "today". You can do anything ONE DAY AT A TIME!
That's how I've stayed sober.

bogie
Sadly, "Political Correctness" is the most powerful religion in America, and it has ruined our society.
Rusty
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rusty »

I helped a friend of mine a few years ago by giving him Wheat. Just plain wheat. When you put the grains in your mouth just hold them in a while until they soften up then work them around little by little chewing and breaking them up. Eventually you'll end up with a ball of gluten in your mouth that you can chew and chew all you want. No flavor, no sugar, nothing bad to hurt you.
If you're gonna be stupid ya gotta be tough-
Isiah 55:8&9

It's easier to fool people than it is to convince them they have been fooled.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Griff,

I'm proud of you man! One of my BEST buddies is a Dentist, trained and did a lot of time with the Navy and Marines. He says FOR SURE that chewing tobacco is good to do with out! We'll be pulling for you!!!

Listening right now to XM171 with Bruce Mallinson talking high performance diesel engines.

DRIVE CAREFUL OUT THERE!!!!!!!!!!

Geoff
claybob86
Senior Levergunner

Post by claybob86 »

You're a tough guy, Griff! You'll whip the stuff for sure! :)
Have you hugged your rifle today?
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks to all of you for your encouragement... was strugglin' a little earlier this evenin... mostly pre-match jitters... Will go away in the am once the first rounds are downrange... hope the weather man is wrong.
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

The Seventh Day Adventists have perhaps the best "Quit Smoking" program of all. I do not subscribe to all of the tenets of that faith, but I praise that church because I credit their program with my defeating a very tenacious smoking addiction.

I started smoking seriously when I was 12 years old. When I was 27 years old and working as a jailer / deputy sheriff, I kept a cigarette lit all day - smoking around three (3) packs a day. At times, I think I smoked 4. Each morning I would wake up hacking until the first cigarette was lit. Then, a member of the aforementioned church gave me a pamphlet showing what my lungs probably looked like based upon my years of smoking, and some other facts. I had tried giving up smoking several times; but this program is what did it. Without going into the full program - you can ask for help online - here is the gist of what I was shown by a church member, along with what the pamphlet said, without ever having to go to an encounter group, join "smokers anonymous" or whatever, or do anything else. I just followed the instructions in the pamphlet.

I failed at first; but I just started over, like the pamphlet said, with the assurance that I could quit. So here is the gist, in MY words from memory of what I read some 36 years ago. It helps to answer the question posed - what do you do to replace the habit of chompin' or smokin':

1) Pray for help. Your Father hears you and will help. For one who absolutely does not believe in Divine intercession, even a humanist "realizes" that if you meditate on something and visualize it, you can focus on the solution and channel your energies towards the solution.

2) Similarly, think of the benefits of quitting - better ability to taste and vision as the nicotine leaves your body, clearer thinking, better ability to assimilate oxygen with attendant mood elevation (eventually) and obviously better overall health. More money in your pocket. More time to do things that you didn't have time to do during the day. Sweeter breath and no more tobacco smell on your clothing and person. Medicine has increasing proof that your lungs and organs CAN regenerate themselves to some degree if you quit for a number of years, meaning that if you quit soon enough, you may not have to deal with emphysema, cancer, loss of limbs through gangrene and other horrible maladies that smoking brings or exacerbates.

3) The first three days are the hardest. If you can't make it, don't panic. Just make up your mind that you can do it and start over.

4) The first three weeks are another milestone. You will be tempted to have "just one cigarette," perhaps to celebrate. Don't. You are cresting the critical hump. But if you give in, don't give up. When you think you are ready, start over with just three smokeless days as a goal. You can do it. Pray and follow the procedures listed below.

5) If you stay clean for three months, you are home free. It worked for me. I even smoked a cigarette several months after that, and had no desire to return to smoking; but don't do that. Just get rid of your cigarettes and follow the guidelines below.

6) Take lots of water, inside and out, often. If you crave tobacco, the effects of the nicotine addiction causes your nerves to be on edge; chemical reactions that cause you to be grouchy and irritable; and so on. You know, if you have ever tried to quit. This can be counteracted by jumping into a warm shower, if possible, and rubbing your body vigorously. Drinking lots of water is also a must - it helps flush out the poisons that are coming to the surface, so to speak.

7) Regular doses of Vitamin C. Each cigarette, if I remember the literature correctly, burns up a day's dosage of Vitamin C. When I was quitting, I added lemon juice to water to satisfy the Vitamin C and water requirements of this regimen.

8 ) Follow a healthy diet that includes fruits and vegetables with B12, Niacin, and other "nerve vitamins" (your wife probably knows; I never remember them) to counteract your nervousness and irritability.

9) Stay away from things that trigger your nicotine withdrawal symptoms. Some examples:
a) Did you ever notice that when you get into your car or truck, the first thing that you want to do is to light up? I don't know about chewing, but a smoker leaves a lingering tobacco scent in the sun visors and headliner of his car. Use a good cleaning solution to eradicate that stuff that hangs around the top of your car.
b) Coffee - caffeine is chemically similar in some ways to nicotine (I don't remember why, and I never took Chemistry). It is something about nicotine being able to bind with caffeine, as I recall. If you drink coffee, you crave a cigarette (and probably want a chew). If you must drink your morning Joe, then immediately follow it with a generous glass of water, or even better water and lemon juice. Remember to drink water throughout the day, and especially when you start to crave a cigarette (or chew).
c) Sugar - You already know; this is a reminder. Sugar wreaks havoc on your nerves!
d) Crowds of smokers - Clothing and skin with tobacco odors can subtly trigger your craving to ingest more nicotine without you knowing why, just like the situation with the headliner of the car. Avoid hanging with other smokers in a close environment if at all possible.
e) Nicotine forms a psychological addiction, as well. It is best not to take brakes with your smoking buddies at that corner of the building or warehouse where you used to "enjoy" your habit. Find somewhere else to go, or take a walk.
f) Hinted above - exercise with water is a terrific antidote to withdrawals. If you take a break, go on a walk instead of sucking on a weed or chewing your Beech-Nut.

10) So what do you do instead? If you get bored, or stressed, or have a great meal, or have something else that is great, you need to replace the addictive behavior of smoking or chewing that comes with these situations or follows them. You will find that you don't know what to do with your hands, if you have been a smoker. As for a chewer, I don't know, exactly, since I only chewed in the Army on long marches in Basic Training and never touched the stuff much since.

So please adapt this information for smokers, if you are a chewer or snuffer (I guess it's called):
a) Since you are freed from going through the motions of the habit, find something interesting to do to replace the habit.
b) Prayer, reading, observing others,or even crossword puzzles might help. Keep yourself and your mind busy, or you will have a hard time getting your mind off that cigarette.
c) Remember that exercise thing? If you are waiting in a hospital, for instance, and you know that you will not hear any news for a specified period of time, you can advise someone that you are going to take a brief walk to the lobby and back; or to a fountain, or up and down the hall. Nowadays, the cell phone makes this even more viable, since you can be called back.
d) There were other suggestions in the pamphlet; but they all stressed finding something that becomes part of your personality. Here is what I have found myself doing, ever since I quit, when I have time on my hands:

In a waiting situation (like at a doctor's office, hospital, airport), I look at others (without being too obvious and annoying) and try to figure out what they do for a living. I look at their shoes, their clothing, how they comport themselves, walk, talk, even their facial expressions. It is amazing what you can pick up as a "people watcher."

If there is artwork, and although I am not a painter or great art scholar, I try to pick out what the artist is trying to say - his/her choice of colors, the style, the subject matter, what I like and what I don't like about the portraits and paintings.

I always bring a book - usually two, depending upon what mood I might find myself in; like a Michael Crichton Thriller/Sci Fi novel and a technical reference. It's fun to see the reactions of folks when I read a reloading manual in a doctor's office.

My job frequently calls for programming tasks. I have been known to carry a reference or two and write code while I'm rendered idle. If I am in the proper mindset, I can get deep into the task and the time flies. A similar pursuit that has stood the test of time is (for me) crossword puzzles. Crossword puzzle books, in a variety of different levels of difficulty, are cheap and plentiful. You might want to bring a pocket thesaurus and/or pocket dictionary.

The bottom line:
Prayer and Meditation towards a Goal
Start over and try again, if at first you don't succeed
3's are the key goals - 3 days, 3 weeks, 3 months (and that should do it, but don't start again!)
Exercise
Water, inside and out - showers with vigorous rubbing, drink water, especially with cravings
Watch where you sit, what you eat, with whom you stand (subliminal odors / chemical affinity)
Healthy Diet with more fruits and vegetables, stress vitamins; avoid sugars
Find something else to do, dang it!

That's the formula. It worked for me, a constant smoker since pre-teen days. I quit smoking completely by age 28 (within a year), and by 29 or 30 I didn't miss the smokes. BUT - I kept my mind active at those slow moments that crowds all our lives as we trudge through society's "hurry up and wait" routines. I have since had a cigar once or twice with the "boys" or on occasion smoked a cigarette while working undercover - but I had no desire to return to that habit. At 63, I've stayed that way.

I sincerely hope that this information helps, Griff and all. It certainly changed my life!
Last edited by JohndeFresno on Sat Mar 14, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
horsesoldier03
Advanced Levergunner

Post by horsesoldier03 »

Best of luck. You may want to try getting some of the nicotine patches to help get you on your way, several of my coworkers have used them with success!
“Gun control is like trying to reduce drunk driving by making it tougher for sober people to own cars.”
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

I chewed for around 15 years.and it's been that long since I quit. everyday I calmly tell myself that things like this are just a"choice" things We choose to do. and We can ALL change. sometimes We just gotta let things go.Stay strong You will do it.
ohwin94_61
Levergunner 2.0

Post by ohwin94_61 »

You can do it
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Griff, there is no doubt in my mind, you can do it :D :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Griff,

I started chewing tobacco in 10th grade at the age of 16. My soccer coach did, and hence many of us started. I liked beech nut wintergreen for years, then shifted to hawken in a can. 1974-2000, i had a chew in my mouth every waking minute. I didn't spit though, I swallowed. Always. Then one night, I remember it well, we were starting a new bible study in my home for a new group of people. A younger couple came in the house and during the introductions, he mentioned he wanted to quit cigs and that today was his first day. Without even thinking about it, I said "I tell you what, I will quit chewing if you quit cigs". I took out my chew, and tossed the can in the trash imediately. I haven't touched it since. There are many times I want to though. While out in the woods hunting, fishing, or working, I really crave it but what keeps me from going back is that I made promise to someone that I wont break. Having met you, I know you are the same. Make a promise to someone about it and keep your word. You find that keeping your word is more important than any craving that comes along. It has to be someone else other than you. We break promises to ourselves all the time. You are in my prayers. Blessings.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

If you WANT to do it you CAN do it Griff and I'm pulling for ya buddy!!!

I stopped smoking back in 2001. I was an honest 3-pack a day smoker and probably burned 4-packs a day. Notice I said stopped. Ya never know so I never say quit. I just picked a day that I was gonna stop and quit cold turkey.

I'll say a prayer that it works out for you.
ED
Yer never too old
Lobo
Member Emeritus

Post by Lobo »

Griff,

Prayers sent!!
Lobo in West Virginia
Old List Veteran..Five Years..Five Hundred Posts
Rexster
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Rexster »

Prayers up!
Have Colts, will travel.

The avatar is the menuki of my Rob Douglas Wakisashi.
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Good for you! Prayers up for continued strength!!!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

Good for you Griff. Lots of good advice already given. I pray you keep the focus and strength.
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Griff,
You are added to my prayers. If I can kick the habit anyone can! I made a promise to MY LOrd to stay clean and even though it was very hard at times I leaned on him and good folks he sent my way for help.
419-966-9586 24/7 if'n you ever need an ear to bend.
Jay H
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

I don't know Griff, I tried that stuff once when I was 18, some version of turning green and can't recall if it just all came up???? :) Hang in there brother.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

I quit smoking 31 years ago, but continued to chew for another 10-12 years. Quitting that was way harder than smoking, but eventually I got rid of the nasty habit. We're praying for your success Griff!-Vall
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Get some Niccorette gum or drops..... And keep them around for a couple years.......At least they won't kill you slowly.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
jd45
Levergunner 3.0

Post by jd45 »

I support you Griff, in breaking that ball & chain from your ankle! jd45
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Give it He__ ! Nasty haibit anyway!

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
pokey
Advanced Levergunner

Post by pokey »

i agree with rjohns94 , make a vow to someone.
you're more likely to keep it.
death before dishonor.
good luck.

best to you, pokey
careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

"BECAUSE I CAN"
Poohgyrr
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Poohgyrr »

Hang in there, you can do it. Prayers and best.
John
Family, blue steel & wood, hot biscuits, and fresh coffee.
Luke 22:36 Romans 12:17-21 Ephesians 4:26-32
"Life brings sorrow and joy alike. It is what a man does with them - not what they do to him - that is the true test of his mettle." T. Roosevelt
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Griff I have been smoking or dipping for 24 years now. I have tried to quite multiple times but always fell off the wagon. I wish you the best of luck I am pulling for ya.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
RIHMFIRE
Advanced Levergunner

Post by RIHMFIRE »

Its time to cowboy up and quit for good....I know you can do it....
LETS GO SHOOT'N BOYS
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

You can do it Griff, but you have to really want to quit. I was a smoker from age 16 to 30. I thought that I probably should quit, so I tried half-heartedly to quit smoking a few times in my late 20's with little success. Finally on my 30th birthday I just realized that I really did want to quit for good. I just made up my mind to do it and stuck with it, cold turkey. Best thing I ever did. Good luck and a prayer up for ya.
NRA Life Member
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Just think Griff, if you had to give up women, or heaven forbid lever guns, you would be asking for a straight jacket. But tough guys are tough, so use your skills and whip that stuff in the butt. It's expensive, it's unhealthy, it's un-necessarry. I havn't had a drink in 16 years, and I quit smoking when I was 26, (38 years ago), you'll see that you can succeed. You can do anything man, it's just going to take awhile to get through it.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Thanks for all the replies and wishes of success... Well, it's been 4-½ days and while the first three were filled with that tingling sensation that in the past, called for a new dip... well... as someone suggested; Saturday and Sunday were filled with a cowboy action match. Well... on that front... I told everyone, "My work here is done... I came in dead last and won my category!"

Wet rainy weather... and no one else had the intestinal fortitude to shoot cap 'n ball revolvers! I had no such qualms... my only worry was shakin' so hard I couldn't shoot!

Such was not the case... although I did miss the third shot outta the 1st revolver... it was the ONLY miss I suffered for the entirety of the match with either revolver! Only ONE misfire... and it went off on the second trip around the cylinder! I couldn't have been happier with the performance of my re-worked Colt 2nd Gen 1851s. I use pure lead RBs, over a lubed-"Wonder-Wad" which in turn is pressed over 17grs. of FFFg Goex. That was 10 stages of 10 pistol shots, over two days. I did clean the guns after the 1st day's shooting. But... have to admit that they hadn't been cleaned since the previous outing over a week before!

However, the love affair with the Heny is on temporary hold! It ran just fine, like a 21-jeweled pocket watch... every clink and clank showing it was timed and operating flawlessly! Then came the second stage! In comparing it to my old 1873 rifle, the Henry has less than half the clearance between the frame and lifter... very tight! This poses no problem with smokeless powders... but quite the opposite with the one true powder! And, while the sights were nice and big, every easy to obtain and keep on target, that powder fouling caused a big problem on two stages. All in all, I ended up leaving ~26 shots in the gun. I mighta been able to force it... but why... so now it'll undergo some additional clearancing.

AJ, I wonder if there's any experience with your C45S carrier & BP in a toggle link. Theoretically, it shouldn't make any difference if it's a Henry, '66 or '73 in regards to what type of fouling load it could take. (BTW, that mod is still in the plans... but... am having to buy 8 new tires this week, plus a couple of other unscheduled things make the acquisition a little lower down the "need" list)!

Anyway... the shoot was a big hoot! I laughed and cut up during the main match stages, but got serious when it came to the side matches... but I still only took two 3rd places finishes in the Long Range Lever (rifle caliber) and the BP Single Shot Long Range. In the lever match, I used my .30-30 Winchester 94, beat by a guy with a Marlin .32-40 and another Winnie in .38-55... I was a tad slow. I think the winnin' time was around 24sec. I was around 42, that's clean, all hits, time bein' the tie-breaker. That was about 125 yards, iron sights only, 3 different targets for 5 rounds. The BP Single Shot I used my Sharp's, but I think I missed one, the last shot... so that musta meant that only 2 guys shot all four targets and I had the fastest single miss, or??? (They didn't give much in the way of details).

But all 'n all, as usual, I had a good time and it certainly helped pass the time dyin' to have more tobacco!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Re: 4 Days & Countin' - I Appreciate Your Prayers & Support

Post by GEOFF »

Great writeup Griff and I can imagine it was a relief to have something going on to take your mind off of the chew!

Got a buddy who runs from here to LA every week with apples. He just gets chubbier and chubbier and we finally realize we arent' young anymore. So hes working on eating healthier on the road and alot of tread mill when he's home! I saw him today, he's looking better. We fought a fire together summer before last, hauling hose up a steep hillside, I thought he might die right there the way he was gasping!!

I REALLY respect you truckers that do it day in and day out, good weather and bad! I've done just enough driving big rigs to know what it entails!!! Trying to stay awake and pass the time, sure lends itself to over eating, over smoking, etc.....

YOU HANG IN THERE!!! I HOPE THE WORST IS OVER AND MAYBE IT'LL EASE UP A BIT.

Drive careful!!

Geoff
GonnePhishin
Senior Levergunner

Re: 4 Days & Countin' - I Appreciate Your Prayers & Support

Post by GonnePhishin »

Griff,

Prayers for you to kick the habit..

Also, ask the Lord to take the desire from you- He took it from me after numerous times of trying to kick it on my own.
"The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." - Thomas Jefferson

"I know not what course other men may take, but as for me, Give me Liberty or Give me Death!" - Patrick Henry
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Well, it's now been 4 WEEKS and 4 days since I quit... and I won't say but there's been some tough times... lookin' at that pouch on the store shelf is tempting! But, I've been able to abstain.

Once again, thanks to all you that offered words of encouragement and support... they've helped. I certainly don't wanna let down my fellow levergunners, now do I?

But, to bring ya'll up to date... I left Billings on Saturday afternoon and moseyed on down to Cheyenne, where I was given a new assignment, a load of cerveza to El Paso... like they touch the stuff in the West's most dangerous city! Oh yea, they do, so off I went. Unfortunately, after getting some fuel in Las Cruces, the clutch went out in my truck!

You ever try to drive thru city traffic with 46K #s of beer in a wagon behind a big rig with NO clutch, that has a manual shift transmission? Not fun... only ran one red light!!! With lights flashing and horn a blarin' I tried to warn them motorists that it was hazardous to enter the intersection! :twisted: They musta believed me, I did run anyone over, and wasn't run into!

Apparently the clutch linkage had come undone, and therefore, pressing the pedal accomplished... NOTHING! So, the truck's in the shop, due to be finished by tomorrow am; and, I'm in a motel and sampling the food of local establishments here in El Paso... maintaining the shortest of ambulatory distances of course!

Even sampled some of the local barley pop! None of that yankee bred swill so boring advertised by frogs and such. Quite good. I can recommend it! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
Don McDowell

Re: 4 Weeks, 4 Days & Countin'...

Post by Don McDowell »

:D Hang in there Griff , I chewed for nearly 40 years. Quit 4 years ago, still makes my mouth water when someone opens up a fresh can of copenhagen, but I really don't miss it much. After these few years its sort of amazing how much better flavors several foods have than they did 5 years ago. :mrgreen:
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Red Man and Mail Pouch kilt my GrandDad.....He had a good long run to 83, but would have gone much longer without it and the stomach cancer.
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Ya ought to take a cab ride over to El Paso Saddelry.

Keep up the good work. I know it's hard but it is definitely doable if you want to do it.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Modoc ED wrote:Ya ought to take a cab ride over to El Paso Saddelry.
There's a PLAN!!!
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

AND... I'm over it!!
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

Griff,
Grab a cab & tell the cabbie you want to go to Victor's.
You won't be sorry!
JohndeFresno
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JohndeFresno »

Griff wrote:Well, it's now been 4 WEEKS and 4 days since I quit...
CONGRATULATIONS! The first 3 weeks are absolutely the hardest!