1982 Marlin 39A Made it home! "RANGE REPORT ADDED"

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
salvo
Senior Levergunner

1982 Marlin 39A Made it home! "RANGE REPORT ADDED"

Post by salvo »

My Grandad had one that was older and it was given to me when he passed. My uncle (His son) asked about it for his grand kids and I gave it to him, did not think I would miss it so much and have been meaning to replace it, it wont be the same, but I do have a few other guns of his that I can shoot.
I sure hope it is as accurate as Grandads.

Last edited by salvo on Sun Jan 18, 2009 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Blaine
Posting leader...

Re: 1982 Marlin 39A Made it home!

Post by Blaine »

I just love the older ones.....in another 20 years or so yours will start to loosen up some :mrgreen:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Gotta love a 39A!!!! Sure looks to be in fine shape. I'd have to say my 39A (any one of them) are about as RELAXING of a gun as I've got. They are just so fun to take out and put a few rounds thru. I'll bet this one is as accurate as the older one that you were mentioning. Thanks for posting the pictures.

Geoff
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

Thet sure looks purty nice ta me !

Why, it even has a set of 'dem peep sight attachment holes, all ready fer ya ! ;)

salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks guy's! I gave it a good cleaning and remembered why I missed the first one, easy to take down and a machining wonder. You get what you pay for with one of these nice rimfires.
Sure would like to find an old steel Lyman sight for this one.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Scott
That gun looks better than it did at my house ! give it back !
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

It does look nice, but you cant have it back :D
I cant seem to put it down. Definitely going shooting tomorrow!
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

BEAUTIFUL!! Gotta love the 39A. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

I need a wolf-whistle smiley. That's a beaut!!! :mrgreen:
jnyork
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jnyork »

Lookin' good!! :D
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Nice. 8)
NRA Life Member
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Congrats! I haven't added one to my collection.... yet. But I'm going to have to. From what I hear, they are all accurate if in proper condition....
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
JOHNNY WACKO
Levergunner 3.0

Post by JOHNNY WACKO »

Nice! I love mine.Now ill have to get it out and clean it up! Thanks for sparking my interest on a old favorite,
JOHNNY WACKO
http://mysite.verizon.net/vzevezzx/john ... dproducts/
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

Salvo, it just makes the bug bite me harder, I'll get a 39 A by hook or crook, but I hope it's the right way!! Congrats on the gun, and to Silverbuzzard for parting with a such a fine piece.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

You guys had better dust them off or get yourself one, they are sweet shooters!

I headed out to the desert around 11:30am I should have left earlier because the wind had kicked up, it was not bad but a stiff breeze left to right at my desert range, maybe 10mph. I collected a bunch of different ammo to try and set the target up at 25yds.
Had to sight it in the front sight was way over to the right, so I centered it. Had to go up three notches on the rear and center it. I always sight in using Federal Bulk packs because that is what I stock up on at Wally World and it seems to shoot pretty good in all my .22's, but the 39A did not like it as well as the high priced stuff :oops:

Federal Bulk pack and Remington Golden bulk pack both shot about the same

CCI Mini Mags and CCI Blazer turned in respectable groups

As usual RWS Target and Federal Gold Medal shot the best in the 39A

Shot one group at 50yds with the RWS Target, you can see the affects of the wind, but still a nice group

Looks like it likes the expensive fodder, oh well most of them do! The RWS Target is all I ever used during my IHMSA days and could shoot 40X40's with it from my 10" Ruger MKII and Anschutz Exemplar.

Here is a picture to make all you snow bound lever-gunners head to Vegas. T shirt weather in Jan :twisted:

Once I had the boring paper punching done I set up a set of .22 IHMSA Swingers out to 25 to 100 yds and just had a good time plinking away free style, the ol 39A would reward me with the sound of steel more times than not :D

Clanged the steel with my Ruger Single Six too!

Boy I tell you, shooting don't get much better than a day with .22's I can't remember the last time I only shot .22's have to do this more often!
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Re: 1982 Marlin 39A Made it home! "RANGE REPORT ADDED"

Post by TedH »

That's some fine groups there. I have got to get me one of those. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Post by J Miller »

Ahhhhhhh, the desert........ :cry:

Scott, if I ever manage to get out there we gotta meet up and go burn some powder. My 9422 needs some exercise.

What do think of the grips on your Single Six?

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Cool. That Federal Gold Medal sure looks like the stuff for that rifle.
Old Law Dawg
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

I think it shoots as good or better than my last one, the levergun gods are smiling on me 8)
I bought a brick of the Federal Gold Metal a few years ago and this is the first .22 of mine that really likes it, still have 6-7 boxes that will be just for the 39A.

Joe that would be a great time!
I like the black plastic grips, got use to them on my old .357 Flat Top, they just seem right on a blue short barreled Ruger.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
silverbuzzard
Levergunner 2.0

Post by silverbuzzard »

Salvo !
Really does my heart good to see someone enjoy a gun I parted with after much much thought .
ENJOY !
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Thanks again silverbuzzard. Its always nice dealing with members of this forum and keeping the guns in the Leverguns family!
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
SmokeEater2
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SmokeEater2 »

Very nice Salvo! That's a fine looking 39 You have there,Thanks for posting the pics.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Love those 39s!

I was going to go shooting Sat. but it was 4 Degrees and with the wind it was just too much for me.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

I shot plain old WW super x 22's thru my circa 1978 39A and that sucker shot like you wouldn't believe. Shot a 4 round group at 150yds that you could cover with a dime. Probably a fluke, as I didn't try a second, but they will shoot.
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Salvo,

Great follow up report! Glad it turned out so well.

I sure think that is some fine shooting, both by the 39A and you to get those tight groups with the factory sights.

Well done! The 39A doesn't make me jealous, BUT SHIRT SLEEVES IN JANUARY DOES!

Geoff
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

The results don't surprise me. I've never had a bad shooting 39A. Avoid Remington ammo at all costs unless you want to clean your action often. :wink:

I had 6 pre-microgrooved 39A's back in November, but I've been thinning the herd down to 2. I want to keep my 1947 as my silhouette rig and my 1939 for fun and nostalgia. I've enjoyed them, they're just "things", so it was time to pass them on to someone else to enjoy. Geoff will be the proud owner of my 1951 and 1952, in about a week.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

That looks awful nice Scott. I am jealous, on both accounts! :mrgreen: Congrats. I bought one about a year or two ago....just before they stopped making them. I sure am glad I did..it too seems to be a tackdriver. Now to move where I can actually get out and shoot/enjoy myself more often.
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

C. Cash, i did not know that they stopped making them? That seems like a pretty dumb move for Marlin.
Sounds like Geoff has a couple of nice ones headed his way, the older the better! mine is one of my newer leverguns :)

Thunder50, I even had a few boxes of WW super x 22's, i'll try them next time, it would be nice to find some cheaper stuff that shoots great. I was pretty happy with the Mini mags.
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Don't worry the 39A is still in full production. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Jdad, I'm really looking forward to them!!!

I fell in love with the Marlin 39A, back when I was about 18 yrs old. Happened to be with some older guys that had one, we saw a chipmunk, they handed me the rifle and told me to shoot the chipmunk. Never fired a shot out of a lever .22 before and I got the chipmunk with one shot. I thought geez this is some kind of gun, I got it with open sights, no scope needed!! The men told me the Marlin was expensive, I remember that. Went years before I finally got one. Now I need multiples to hopefully pass down to my kids, then I'll need more cuz hopefully someday I'll have a grandkid to spoil!!!! Not before my kids get married though HOPEFULLY!!!! LOL

Geoff
C. Cash
Advanced Levergunner

Post by C. Cash »

Hey Scott....I think I had a pre-senior moment. I thought for sure they were discontinued a year or two ago, but my brain probably connected some rumors without having all the facts. Glad they are still making them! I'm not a Marlin man, but I'm crazy about this little 22. I bought mine for my son but I think he likes the 10/22 better at this point. So, until he warms up to it and grows into it a little....... :)
But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 5:8
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

My 39A shoots groups just like that with Federal (blue box).
They are very accurate little rifles.
You did good! :D
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

C. Cash wrote:Hey Scott....I think I had a pre-senior moment. I thought for sure they were discontinued a year or two ago, but my brain probably connected some rumors without having all the facts. Glad they are still making them! I'm not a Marlin man, but I'm crazy about this little 22. I bought mine for my son but I think he likes the 10/22 better at this point. So, until he warms up to it and grows into it a little....... :)
I'm glad you were mistaken :wink: I remember Marlin being bought out and figured anything was possible, like doing away with the Marlin Bullseye for a time :roll:
ScottS

-- Ronald Reagan