Marlin 1893 38-55 Load ??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Marlin 1893 38-55 Load ??

Post by ohio hunter »

I picked up an 1895 made (shipped) gun and have the Ranch Dog 240 gr mold for it. It is NOT the BP only version. I cast some of 25/1 (lead/tin) and shot a few over 15 gr 2400. What a hoot! I am heading for a hog hunt in a couple weeks and am looking for a good load for this old girl. I want something stout enough to do the job but do not want to strain it. I cannot find much info on the strength of these old actions or the loading in this caliber. I have BP and most of the BP substitutes. I really would rather shoot smokelees on this hunt and not have the cleaning headache of holy black. Most loads I found were with fast powders and I prefer to run the slowest powders suitable for this cartridge for a kinder gentler push on the boolit. Looks as though that might be IMR 3031 or 4895. I have H335 and 414 or AA2200 & 2025. Any help or links to articles much apreciated.
Jay
You picked a fine time to leave me loose wheel.
Hobie

Re: Marlin 1893 38-55 Load ??

Post by Hobie »

28 gr. IMR 3031... 18 gr. IMR or H 4227... I'd use a GC with the 3031 load though.
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

If your rifle has the smokeless steel barrel, my deer load for my 26" 1893 is:

Case: Winchester (trimmed to 2.080 to get them all the same)
Primer: CCI 200
Powder: 26.0 grains RL-7
Bullet: Stone Fence made http://www.custombullets.com/pricelist.php 250gr .378 jacketed bullet, factory crimped(Lee FCD) at the canule.

This load runs about 1600fps out of my rifle and is running at considerably less than 30-30 pressures and groups under an inch(when I do my part) at 100 yards. 30-30 pressures would likely get it up to 1900fps. I've never felt the need to stress my 1893 that much, though it will take 30-30 pressures, and this has punched through every critter I've ever shot with it. This includes a big mule deer pretty much from front to back at 100 yards. I would use this load for anything up to and including elk. A similar load with 3031 would likely work as well but I hit this pretty load early and never tried that powder. I've always had a limited supply of these bullets.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
Stone Fence
Levergunner

Post by Stone Fence »

What Buffboy said-- Reloader-7 gives excellent velocity and low pressure in .38-55.

-Stone
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Hate to burst your bubble Ohio Hunter, but if your gun was shipped in 1895 it may not be marked "For Black Powder, but it's the same steel as those BP marked barrels! Only Marlins marked "Special Smokeless Steel" are higher grade steel. All the other unmarked 1893 barrels are the same as the BP barrels.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Sure glad you addressed that marlinman93. I thought the same thing but was unsure of just when Marlin brought out the Smokeless Steel 1893! Great point and one that hopefully will be of great help in this situation.

Ohio Hunter,

I've got a Black Powder marked 1893 that I shot A LOT for lever action silhouette. Same situation probably as yours except mine is a much later gun, but has the soft steel barrel. Anyway I use a .380" 245 grain Meister hard cast bullet on top of 20.5 grains of XMP5744 ignited by a CCI 200 primer for use in my .38-55. This load is probably giving around 1,500 fps, although I don't have a chronograph. (I KNOW I KNOW, I should have a chronograph)

Anyway, I bought one of those BULLET TEST TUBE deals filled with ballistic gelatin to hopefully test penetration on the above mentioned load. Centered that sucker at 50 yards and to my AMAZEMENT that .380" bullet blew right on thru the whole BULLET TEST TUBE. This load is on the mild side but it gives an idea of how well hard cast penetrates. I would have no problem shooting a deer with this load out to at least 125 yds, probably more. And this load would be easy on your old 1893. I sure wouldn't shoot jacketed bullets in an 1893 as old as yours!

Sounds like you have a nice old gun there. Enjoy it!

Geoff
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

marlinman93 wrote:Hate to burst your bubble Ohio Hunter, but if your gun was shipped in 1895 it may not be marked "For Black Powder, but it's the same steel as those BP marked barrels! Only Marlins marked "Special Smokeless Steel" are higher grade steel. All the other unmarked 1893 barrels are the same as the BP barrels.
No bubble here. I did not know this and was trying to be clear. Thanks for clearing that up. It will only be shot with cast anyhows. Actually all I shoot is cast. I have worked up to 1500fps and will stay with that. Very mild to shoot and very accurate! The original sights are very fine and hard for my poor eyesto see. :roll: I am looking at a tang sight on feebay
. It is listed as being an "e" code for a 1889 or1894. I am under the impression that all tangs are interchangeable. The mounting holes are the same.anybody know if the tang heights are same or close?
Jay
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Oh ya, where are my manners??? Thanks fellers for all the info. I am loving this gun already.
Jay
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

OH,
That tang sight on Fleabay for a 1889 or 1894 Marlin will not work on your 1893. It will fit the holes, as all early Marlins used the same 1.125" spacing, but it wont elevate enough to be useful at 100 yds. or more. Might not even go high enough for 75 yds!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jay,
In my 1906 produced 1893 TD in 38-55, I use 21 gr. of 5744, NEI 275 gr. gas check, sized .379 with blown out 30-30 brass. It chronos 1385 @ 55 degrees and shoots like a scoped bolt action rifle.

Like Marlinman says, you will need the correct coded tang sight or if you have an extra higher stem laying around---yea, not likely :cry:

Ken Bean of York, Pa has what you need in a sight. he's a good friend of mine and will likely charge about $125-$150 for what you need. Tell him Sixgun sent 'ya. (the guy with the black cowboy hat)
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

OH, what size does that Ranch Dog mold drop?

Sixgun, I'm surprised you're getting anything but patterns with that small cast bullet. My 1893's bore slugs .380 and I've had no luck with cast at up to .380. I got lousy accuracy and leading something awful. I can find cast sized .381 now but they weren't as available even a few years ago. I haven't ordered any as I was always planning on using jacketed with my smokeless steel barrel.

The Barnes 38/5520 255gr .377 bullet worked well too on the 2 deer I shot with it my first year of hunting with my 1893 but I ran into a nowhere to be found problem with those (you can get them again now, bring money :o ) and Dave came to my rescue. The Barnes weren't quite as accurate in my rifle(though still pretty good) and seemed to penetrate less because they did expand a little more. I actually recovered part of one of those(the jacket, the core exited). All shots were broadside and neither were very large deer. I don't think I'd trust one on anything larger than deer and I darn sure wouldn't push them beyond the 1600+/- I was driving them. After using Stone Fence's, I never went back.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

The RD mold I have drops @ .381 with a 25/1 lead tin mix. I have the lee .379 sizer. I am shooting 32gr 4895 today with absolutly no leading and it shoots as well as I can hold it. It is shooting 1 oclock high with any load.Sight is bottomed out and both sights centered. I am so ham fisted I hate to try to move either sight. The sights are so fine on this gun it is hard for me to see them.

Sixgun,
How to contact Mr. Bean?
Thanks
Jay
ohio hunter
Levergunner 1.0

Post by ohio hunter »

Found him! Wasn't hard either. :oops:
J