Okay.....LEAST favorite cartridge

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
coyote nose
Levergunner 2.0

Okay.....LEAST favorite cartridge

Post by coyote nose »

We have had a couple of posts on favorite cartridges...how about LEAST favorite cartridges?? Now, i know that if your least favorite cartridge is someone elses favorite it may cause some difficult feelings, kind of like telling a dog owner you dont like dogs, or telling someone their kid is a brat... so lets keep it civil and realize "different strokes for different folks". Now by least favorite take it how you want....most overrated, or just a cartridge whose existance you dont understand, or a cartridge that never 'did" it for you. I'll start.... while I dont like or see the need for any of those wsssm or however many s's there are in them now, my all time most boring cartridge is probably the .270. I know it is good, I know it does the job, i know it is accurate...but I cant understand it. Came out at a time when most people could only afford one gun to do everything. Well, the 30-06 was around then...that can do it all. If i wanted a necked down '06 (for whatever reason) I'd go to the 25-06. Just dont understand the .270. Never liked them, never wanted one, if I got one it would be sold before I shot it.
"...for there is a cloud on my horizon...and its name is progress." E. Abbey, 1958
J Miller
Member Emeritus

Re: Okay.....LEAST favorite cartridge

Post by J Miller »

Least favorite ................... ummmm, well, ahh, hmmmmm. You got me. I have a limited number of cartridges I like, but I can't say which is my least favorite.

Joe
***Be sneaky, get closer, bust the cap on him when you can put the ball where it counts ;) .***
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

No such thing as a least favorite. If it'll go in a gun and go bang and propell a projectile down range, it's ok by me.

Danged if I'll tell a guy that his favorite cartidge doesn't measure up to my standards.
ED
Yer never too old
Griff
Posting leader...

Post by Griff »

Obviously, that list is long and well populated with cartridges I DON'T own! :twisted:
Griff,
SASS/CMSA #93
NRA Patron
GUSA #93

There is a fine line between hobby & obsession!
AND... I'm over it!!
No I ain't ready, but let's do it anyway!
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Could never warm up to the .270 either.

The .243 is another one I never understood the hype. Especially since I have a 250-3000 and 257 Roberts.

jb 8)
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

Not me , I think the .30-06 is the oddball and the .270 should have come first. I have a little 22" barrel Ruger #1 in .270 that has harvested my largest deer. Each to his own I guess. :D
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

My least favorite would have to be the 22 Savage High Power, .227-.228 bullets.
but I plan to remedy that with the new mould I just got in. Now I have to complete
the Savage 99 and fire the 120 rounds of old factory ammo first.
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
Tycer
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Tycer »

.25 ACP
Kind regards,
Tycer
----------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.saf.org - https://peakprosperity.com/ - http://www.guntalk.com
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

[heresy ON]
How about the .32-20 ? :o

The guns are nice, and the ballistics impressive, but the brass is TOO DURNED THIN... :evil:
[/heresy OFF]

...not that I plan on parting with MY .32-20's though... 8)
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

7.62x39
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
"Go low, go slow and preferably in the dark" The old Sarge (he was maybe 24.
"Freedom is never more that a generation from extinction" Ronald Reagan
"Every man should have at least one good rifle and know how to use it" Dad
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Short magnums, Weatherby magnums, especially .30 and smaller caliber "magnums".
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
SJPrice
Levergunner 3.0

Post by SJPrice »

for me it is the 44 Mag. I have no good reason. I just do not get the least bit excited over it. I think maybe it is because it got way over exposed with all the Dirty Harry hype. No offense to all the guys here who own and love their 44's.
Always Drink Upstream From The Herd
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Tycer wrote:.25 ACP
+1 Although I do own one. :oops:
NRA Life Member
Grizzly Adams
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Grizzly Adams »

That would be the 32-20 for me..........Sorry, I know lots of folks like it, but I can find no shine on it. :?
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read this in English, thank a Vet!
COMNAVFORV, Vietnam 68-70
NRA Life, SASS Life, Banjo picking done cheap!

Quyana cekneq, Neva
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

there is too many to list. Pick any out side of .22, .357, .429, .45-70, 30-30, 470 nitro, .375 H&H - I just can't excited about any of the other cartridges, perhaps since I don't own a rifle or pistol in any other cartridge.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jeepnik wrote:7.62x39
+1
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

To err is human, To forgive is devine, Neither of which is Marine Corps policy
Semper Fidelis
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

308 - except for my 88 - in my experience they are finicky and not particularly accurate in hunting rifles.

AND, in my 88 they are very finicky but I have found what shoots in it and I got it NIB 20 years ago.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

I agree with the guy above, the .44 Magnum. Sorry Elmer Keith. I'm probably wimpy but I hate the recoil and muzzle blast of a .44 Mag in a revolver, I just don't shoot them well at all. I get caught without ear protection a lot and don't like a loud pistol much. Bought an S&W 29 with 8 3/8" barrel back when I was 16 years old in 1979. I was infatuated with it and shot it so much I had to send it back to Smith & Wession to get redone. So, it's not that I haven't given it a fair trial. Finally sold the 29 a couple of years ago and HAVEN'T MISSED IT A BIT!! Also had a Super BlackHawk, sold it years ago too.

The .44 Mag in a rifle is a different story.

Just my thoughts and certainly to each his own!

Geoff
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

Anything with heavy recoil.
JReed wrote:
+1
What? You guys don't like the .30-30 Rimless? :wink:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
6pt-sika
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 6pt-sika »

Well lets see I gotta add another vote for the 7.62x39 . Never owned one and doubt if I ever will !

The 223 REM , 308 WIN and 30-06 have never been in favor with me either !

I've "owned" plenty 223's and 308's and usually they shot great . Just never really cared for either !

The 06 just never turned me on shall we say !

And thats not to say I might not get another 223 , 308 or 06 .

Now with that being said I like ALL of the cartridges built on the 06 case and just about all of the cartridges made from the 308 case (not crazy about the 358 WIN) .

As for the 223 , for wha I'd use that for I prefer the even older 222 REM or the newer 204 Ruger . And if I have centerfire 22 work at a longer range I prefer to go with a 220 Swift or 22-250AI .

There's alot of folks here who don't like the short mags and super short mags ! And I certainly cannot agree with them ! I've gotten so I like just about ALL of these cartridges :wink:
Parkers , Mannlicher Schoenauer’s , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines !
DerekR
Levergunner 2.0

Post by DerekR »

For me it's the 7mm Magnum. The only magnum rifle I ever owned. Too long, too loud and overkill in the Tennessee woods I hunt.
Derek aka "shootnfan"
Middle Tennessee

24 hours in a day.....24 beers in a case. Coincidense? I think not.
piller
Posting leader...

Post by piller »

.223 is what I really dislike. My time with one of the Army's Mattel Toys was not fun. Pop, then the strange spring sound.
D. Brian Casady
Quid Llatine Dictum Sit, Altum Viditur.
Advanced is being able to do the basics while your leg is on fire---Bill Jeans
Don't ever take a fence down until you know why it was put up---Robert Frost
El Chivo
Advanced Levergunner

Post by El Chivo »

SJPrice wrote:for me it is the 44 Mag. I have no good reason. I just do not get the least bit excited over it. I think maybe it is because it got way over exposed with all the Dirty Harry hype. No offense to all the guys here who own and love their 44's.

+1
"I'll tell you what living is. You get up when you feel like it. You fry yourself some eggs. You see what kind of a day it is."
Otto
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Otto »

Yep. Why not just use a 22lr?

Or, how about one of the three billion different 9mm cartridges, such as .356TSW? Many of them came and went, and probably aren't even remembered.
"...In this present crisis, government isn't the solution to the problem; government is the problem." Ronald Reagan

"...all experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while evils are sufferable, than to right themselves by abolishing the forms to which they are accustomed." Declaration of Independence
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

TedH wrote:
+1 Although I do own one. :oops:
+1 +1

Got one, and it is probably my least favorite. Expensive, wimpy, better than nothing but not much. I think guns in this caliber give their owners too much confidence...
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

JReed wrote:
+1
I imagine the reason for that may have more to do with having them sent you way in anger, rather than their performance... :shock:
AJMD429
Posting leader...

Post by AJMD429 »

Gotta not at the 7.62x39, and maybe add some like the .44-40, because they 'almost' use standard .308 or .429 bullets, but not quite... so you have to slug your gun (I'm talking non-communist-bloc guns like the Ranch Rifle for the 7.62) to figure out what in heck it will shoot best.

And I'm not sure the 7mm Magnum is enough faster than the 280 Rem for all the noise and powder use...
Doctors for Sensible Gun Laws
"first do no harm" - gun control LAWS lead to far more deaths than 'easy access' ever could.

Want REAL change? . . . . . "Boortz/Nugent in 2012 . . . ! "
flatnose
Levergunner 3.0

Post by flatnose »

25acp, 380, 9mm, and wssm in anything.
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

OK I'll wade in. .......................... 30 carbine .

Worthless little cartridge. My dad told stories of the south pacific (he was a CB) of the Japs taking shots to
the chest with no effect. They threw carbines into the ocean as soon as something better was found. He managed
to get a Navy issue 1928 Thompson . Now there was a weapon.
A friend has one I've shot and reloaded for extensively. Shooting anything is fun ...... but it is still a worthless cartridge.

On further reflection Ruger chambered their Blackhawk in 30 carbine. That might be fun.
Did hear though it had a terrible muzzle blast.
And what does it do you can't do with a 357 mag.

I stick with my first thought ................ 30 carbine ........ worthless.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
Bullard4075
Senior Levergunner

Post by Bullard4075 »

Sometimes I can be a real Bonehead.

I just got done trashin the 30 Carbine and here JBCABLE has one for sale over in classified.
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... =2&t=13528

Sorry Cable ....meant no offense.
"Any man who covers his face and packs a gun is a legitimate target for any decent citizen"
Jeff Cooper
PaperPatch
Levergunner 3.0

Post by PaperPatch »

Its all good........I've never had a bad piece of pie.

:wink:
Streetstar
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Streetstar »

I will use the ,30 cal designation as my victim, but the same applies to 7mm and 338 as well.

What does a .30-378 WBY or a .300 RUM (or any number of "hot as Bo Derek" .300 mags like the Lazzeroni and Dakota cartridges) do that can't be done with a .300 WBY Mag or even a .300 Norma or H&H Mag for that matter?

I guess the boutique magnums bug me as well. I like the 300 wby, which has been around 50 -some years and the H&H, which has been around longer --- but the rest --------- why?

As for the short mags --- again, whats being done with those that can't be done with an '06
----- Doug
AndyM
Levergunner 3.0

Post by AndyM »

I look upon caution at the 243. The way I see it, the round is not really really good at anything.... too much for my type of varmints and too little for big game... I will say to its supporters, I have seen it kill a few black bear and an untold # of deer...
"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid" - Han Solo, Star Wars...
mklwhite
Levergunner 2.0

Post by mklwhite »

Hard question. Of the cartridges that I have shot I would have to go with the 25 ACP. Of those I haven't (but would like to) I think the Tround to be odd to the point of worthless.

Of those already mentioned, but I can't figure out why: I love the '06 and really like the 7.62x39. The '06 (03-A3) brought me my first deer and the 7.62x39 my biggest.

PaperPatch: love that sigline. :D Mekka-lekka hi mekka chahney ho! :D
brucew44guns
Senior Levergunner

Post by brucew44guns »

I have favored the bigger bores mostly. 30 caliber is the smallest I want, preferring the .348, the .35, the .358, the .405, the 45-70. I've killed several deer with the 30-30, no problems there. But I detest the notion of a .243, or a .270 and their little brothers and sisters getting into my safe. I do appreciate my .300 Win Mag.
To hell with them fellas, buzzards gotta eat same as the worms.
Outlaw Josey Wales

Member GOA
NRA Benefactor-Life
MistWolf
Levergunner 1.0

Post by MistWolf »

9mm, 380, 25ACP and the 30-30. I've never been able to warm up to the 30-30. Shot it in a Winchester 94 carbine and the recoil was painful. Crazy thing is, I have a soft spot for the 25-35 because of the rifle my grandfather had.

I guess I don't really care for the 7.62 Russian Rimmed, 7.7 Jap or the 6.5 Jap. I also have bland feelings towards more than a handful of European pistol rounds. Chambered in interesting pistols, but the calibers were underwhelming
I am American
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

243, I've owned two so I know what they can and can't do.
I took some large deer with them and some way out varmints but I just don't seem to like it somehow.
I think ,,, oh I dun know... :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

bruce, if that threat arises - I am there for you - send the offending rifle to me.
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

86er
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 86er »

From a professional persepctive it's the 243 Win. Clients show up with rifles in this caliber fairly frequently but actually I've seen less in the past 3 years than prior. The casual hunter that is not a passionate rifleman often does not understand that good bullets designed for big game are needed. On the other hand I've had seasoned hunters with heaps of experience over-rate the cartridges capabilities, thinking it will be fine on animals over 300 pounds (and particularly with Western world anatomy). Sure you could kill an elk with good bullets, perfect shot placement and close range. However, the odds are not favorable if the bullets are less than premium, shot is not perfect (especially not a full on broadside shot) and/or the range is over 100 yds. Worse is when kids are given a 243 Win rifle and the shooting is at game they are not familiar with combined with shooting offhand or off sticks. Maybe exotics are not given proper respect. I have seen wounded and had to chase more animals shot with a 243 Win than anything else. It might be out of the norm for regular season native game hunting, but for exotic hunting I can't stand to see someone bring that caliber! It seems with smaller, lesser calibers or larger calibers people have a proper perspective of what they are dealing with, but with 243 Win it is so often exaggerated.
Professional Hunter
http://www.TARSPORTING.com
"Worldwide Hunting Adventures"

Professional Hunters Assoc of South Africa
SCI - Life Member
NRA - Life Member
NAHC - Trophy Life Member
DWWC - Member
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Any cartridge invented after 1899.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

awp101 wrote:Anything with heavy recoil.
JReed wrote:
+1
What? You guys don't like the .30-30 Rimless? :wink:
You get that way being on the receiving end.
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

Ysabel Kid wrote:
JReed wrote:
+1
I imagine the reason for that may have more to do with having them sent you way in anger, rather than their performance... :shock:
Not at me personaly but quite a few friends of mine.
It is the prefered round of our enemy and makes a distinct sound when fired at you.
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
awp101
Advanced Levergunner

Post by awp101 »

jeepnik, I suspected as much... :wink:
JReed wrote:It is the prefered round of our enemy and makes a distinct sound when fired at you.
Thanks Gunny... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits.
-Mark Twain

Proverbs 3:5; Philippians 4:13

Got to have a Jones for this
Jones for that
This running with the Joneses boy
Just ain't where it's at
jjames
Levergunner 2.0

Post by jjames »

Any pistol cartridge smaller than .44 except those that are 1/2 the size of a .44. Also mad at 9.3x72R these days for being anemic, obslete, and utilized in so many old school drillings.
505stevec
Levergunner 3.0

Post by 505stevec »

Well, I own guns in
22 lr x2
25acp x1
9mm x3
45 acp x3
40S&W x3
357mag x2
44mag x1
.223 x3
7.62X39 x3
7.62x54R x1
5.45.39 x1
.308 x1
30-30 x1
45-70 x3
.30carbine x1
300 Savage x1

I would have to say I love them all for various reasons and applications. My levers, trapdoor are always fun. my ebr's are great. my pistols are funner (funner?) than heck. I would have to say the 300 savage is my least favorite if only cause I have not started reloading for it and the ammo is twice that of my 30-30. I have no real interest at all in Magnum rifles. A Safari is a dream at best and my 45-70s will take anything on this side of the pond.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are
willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." - John F. Kennedy
gundownunder
Senior Levergunner

Post by gundownunder »

In a word, shotgun.

Those 12 guage shells boot like a mule, run out of legs way too soon and besides, I aint never been able to hit the broad side of anything moving :lol:
Bob
You have got to love democracy-
It lets you choose who your dictator is going to be.
Noah Zark
Senior Levergunner

Post by Noah Zark »

coyote nose wrote: . . . I'll start.... while I dont like or see the need for any of those wsssm or however many s's there are in them now, my all time most boring cartridge is probably the .270. I know it is good, I know it does the job, i know it is accurate...but I cant understand it . . . Just dont understand the .270. Never liked them, never wanted one . . .

I understand what you're saying, Rose. However, the .270 Winchester is as popular as it is because of 1) It works, and 2) the single-typewriter efforts of Jack O'Connor. It was Jack's do-all gun, and the subject of much of his writing. Many sportsmen who read Outdoor Life in the 50s and 60s drank Jack's "270 Kool-aid." I used to read my late father's and uncle's back issues that never got thrown away. Jack O'Connor joked that he only ever wrote a dozen articles, and just changed the first and last paragraphs. To a large extent, that's not an exaggeration.

The .270 works because of the sectional density of the .270 diameter bullet and the capacity of the case, which is of course based on the 30-06. I don't own a 270, but I highly respect it.

As for my least favorites, I too agree with Rose that anything ending in "-SM" or "-SSM" is a solution to a non-existant problem. I'll never own one.

Noah
Might as well face it, you're addicted to guns . . .
jeepnik
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jeepnik »

JReed wrote: Not at me personaly but quite a few friends of mine.
It is the prefered round of our enemy and makes a distinct sound when fired at you.
Too much Eastwood for you young man. Now go to your room and read a book. :mrgreen:
Jeepnik AKA "Old Eyes"
JReed
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JReed »

jeepnik wrote:
JReed wrote: Not at me personaly but quite a few friends of mine.
Too much Eastwood for you young man. Now go to your room and read a book. :mrgreen:
Too much Eastwood! No such thing thats like having too many guns :lol: :lol:
Jeremy
GySgt USMC Ret

Semper Fidelis
Blaine
Posting leader...

Post by Blaine »

Any "new" one that is an equal in performance to the "old" one. All the short mags, for a start. AND, those dang Gummy Tip bullets :lol:
The Rotten Fruit Always Hits The Ground First

Proud Life Member Of:
NRA
Second Amendment Foundation
Citizens Committee For The Right To Keep And Bear Arms
DAV