Mauser ammo

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
hillclimber
Levergunner

Mauser ammo

Post by hillclimber »

My son got some different ammo with his Mauser 8mm. It's stamped as a 24/47. The bullets are 9mm Mauser, which must be correct, and 22-73 whose casings mike out the same, but the bullets are longer. Are both OK to shoot?
junkbug
Levergunner 2.0

Post by junkbug »

The Yugoslavian M24/47 Yugoslavian Mauser is chambered for the 7.92x57mm German service cartridge, which is often called the 8mm Mauser. It looks much like the 30-06 rifle cartridge.

Your other cartridges may be surplus rifle cartridges from another nation, as many European nations used this cartridge from the 1920's to 1970's. It was also used in China and africa.

The proper bullet diameter for 7.92x57mm cartridges is close to .323 inches.

Sean
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

What junkbug said + 1. That ammo is not for that rifle. Be carefull!!
:wink:
Old Shatterhand
Levergunner 2.0

Re: Mauser ammo

Post by Old Shatterhand »

hillclimber wrote:My son got some different ammo with his Mauser 8mm. It's stamped as a 24/47. The bullets are 9mm Mauser, which must be correct, and 22-73 whose casings mike out the same, but the bullets are longer. Are both OK to shoot?
8 mm = .323" - as said by others.
9 mm = .358" (Or did you mistype 9 for 8?)

I don't think you will be able to chamber a 9 mm Mauser cartridge in a 8 mm, as the throat is to narrow.

How old is the Mauser? Have a smith to slug the bore, as some old ones are only .318". Then you have to get those cartridges - RWS and Sellier&Bellot make them, but supposedly you will have to make a special order.

Old Sh.
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

I no expert but I know that there are a number of suttle variations with the 8mm Mausers including the rimmed variants. Good thumping round though :)
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
hillclimber
Levergunner

Post by hillclimber »

Oh boy...It is an 8mm Mauser with what must be Czeco lettering followed by the number 44. It has a M24008364 serial number, under which is M24/47. On the other side, (and all this surrounds the front part of the bolt), is B9127 Funny thing is the serial number looks like a modern machine done thing where the numbers are all formed by tiny dots. There is a plate underneath, where a clip would go with a 5224 on it.

The shells are 8mm Mauser, not 9mm as I mistyped. They mike out at .467 inches diameter at the base, tapering to about .430 before necking down. That converts to almost 11mm so I don't know what's what. The one group of shells says 8mm Mauser and a nny (Czeck?) and have a lead tip.

The other group of shells mike out the same, but the casings are maybe .010 (very close and may be the same, overall) or so shorter, but have longer solid bullets in them. They look much older. Very dark in color, and are stamped with 22 and 73.

He has shot it already but not for some time. He got this at Christmas time last year and shot about 10 of the older shells.

Both these shells chamber just fine, but I don't know if they are safe to shoot.
hillclimber
Levergunner

Post by hillclimber »

Well it's obvious I don't know much but the rear sight has a little slide that clicks up through 20 numbers, at which time the sight is about 1.2 inches higher than if it was at 1. Does each number represent a specific distance, or is an intuitive/trial thing?
txpete
Departed Friend

Post by txpete »

the 24/47 (I have one) is a fine rifle and very well made.most if not all were rebarreled when the were re-furbed and put into storage.
these are NOT K98 action but a intermedate action or just a tad shorter on the action.to me a biggie is the bolt and the reciever matching??if not a head space check should be done.the rear sight is marked in meters.
http://www.marstar.ca/Y-M-24.htm
DAV life member.
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Chances are those old shells he fired had corrosive primers. Clean the bore fast!!! I use a couple of water/wet patches followed by a couple of dry patches, then a slightly oiled patch.
hillclimber
Levergunner

Post by hillclimber »

He cleaned it a year ago and I ran a patch yesterday, and it was clean
Junior
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Junior »

Some guys like surplus ammo, but I won't touch it with a 10 foot pole. When I ordered a couple of 1938 Turk Mausers, cal 8x57, I also ordered a 500 round box of surplus ammo. First, it was corrosive, which wasn't a surprise. Second, some of the fired rounds had pierced primers, and a lot of them had smoked primers due to leakage. That was a surprise.

I pulled a bunch of the bullets and did some measuring. The bullets varied several grs in weight and .002" in diameter. The powder charge varied 3 to 4 grs if I remember correctly. So take a round with a bullet a little heavy and too large in diameter and combine it with a powder charge more than a little too high, and you have high presssure and a pierced primer. I never fired another one.

The powder will eventually get salvaged from all the rounds left over. It burns about like H4895.

By the way--I sporterized/butchered one of my Turks, and it is a sub-MOA shooter. It likes the Nosler 180 gr BT best followed by the cheap Rem 185 gr soft point. Look here for two articles about it: http://www.castbullet.com/makeit/makeit.htm
airedaleman
Levergunner 3.0

Post by airedaleman »

The "nny" cartridges are Yugoslavian and should be loaded with non-corrosive Boxer primes I may be wrong, but believe that headstamp will be found on ammunition marketed as Pryvy Partizan (sp?). I shot a carload of nny 7.62X54R cartridges in a number of Finnish Mosins with nary a hitch. I then went on to reload the cases four or five times. (By the way, your Yugoslav Mauser is marked with letters from the Cyrilllic alphabet. Russian and Bulgarian also use that alphabet.)
Riamh Nar Dhruid O Spairn Lann
- motto on the Irish Regiments' flags
Bramble
Levergunner 1.0

Post by Bramble »

It would be wise to slug the bore. Although by that date the barrels should be .323 it is possible with armoury refurb that they could get an older .318 barrel. Not likley but possible.
Both bullet diamiters will chamber but .323's in a .318 bore will expose an old gun to unnecessary strain.
The pressure limit for 8x57 mauser is kept deliberatly low on US manufactured ammo for that reason. However Privi Partizan may be loaded to European specs ( 40% highter pressure)and could pose a problem in the wrong rifle. In the european loadings it is up there with the 30-06, in the SAMMI spec it is a little anemic.

Regards
hillclimber
Levergunner

Post by hillclimber »

I want to thank you all for the great info. Now I'll research it to see what most of it means. :)