OT- THOUGHTS ON A SHILOH SHARPS .50-90??

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

OT- THOUGHTS ON A SHILOH SHARPS .50-90??

Post by GEOFF »

I'm going to have my one and only Sharps built by Shiloh this summer.

Been thinking about my final order pretty seriously the last few days. Really liking the idea of the .50-90 Sharps cartridge.

Does anyone here have experience with this cartridge? I know it's big but I've already had quite abit of experience with the .45-70 and don't really need another one. The .50-90 has got a lot of appeal to me since it's historically significant and interesting just due to the huge nature of it etc......

Look forward to your opinions on this combo.

Geoff
moodyholler
Levergunner 2.0

Re: OT- THOUGHTS ON A SHILOH SHARPS .50-90??

Post by moodyholler »

Geoff, my 50-90 is a lot of fun. My 120lb cousin has shot it with full house loads and she brags to everyone. Likewise my sister has shot it. Takes all the way up to 110 grains of powder and 600+ grain bullets. Enjoy it!!! moodyholler
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Well Geoff, if you honestly want it then get it. There's no shame in that.

But, in all the reading I've done on the Sharps ( Shilo Rifle Forum, BPCR) and what a majority the guys are generally using them for, silhouette, long range, gongs, etc... I think something diffferent would cover more bases (maybe a 45-110 as you've already got a 45-70). Now, if you aren't looking to game with it, you're capable of realoading ( you haven't said anything about that) and you've got a few bucks lying around because components aren't cheap. Then I'd again say just go for it.

Oh, by the way, pictures are mandatory when you get it.

Have fun.
Old Law Dawg
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

It's unnecessary I suppose, but lots of fun. To me the only down side if how fast I go through the lead. With the mold shape I have, my rifle like 700gr bullets the best. The lead don't last long at that rate. :wink:

(.40-65 and 3 different .50-90 loads)
Slow is just slow.
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

Geoff, there's a very good article in the July '08 SINGLE SHOT EXCHANGE on reloading and shooting the 50-90 Shiloh Sharps.
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

GEOFF, a couple of things.

First off, there is a fellow on the Shiloh Forum who has a huge deposit with Shiloh and is an unofficial distributor. If you order your rifle through him, it costs a little more, but you get your rifle in 3 months instead of a year.

Secondly, I love the 50-90 myself. Mic McPherson and others use them at the Friends of Billy Dixon range. However, his Shiloh would not stabilize bullets as heavy as what CAS is shooting. So, you want to be sure you get the right twist rate for your purposes. The "under 600 grain" comment seems to hold true with what I saw, but Shiloh is good about making rifles with custom twist rates (Scott T. is getting one done custom).

Starline has brass for $297 for 250 count.

http://www.starlinebrass.com/

Keep us posted!

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)
-Monte Walsh (Selleck version)

"These battered wings still kick up dust." -Peter Gabriel
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Thanks for the replies.

Moody, sounds like I'll be able to handle the recoil. This is going to be fun!

kimwcook, beautiful rifle you have there. Could you give the particulars on it, grade of wood etc... I know I've given the .45-110 a long hard look too. This big 50 will be "big" expense too but I only plan on ONE Sharps and I sure want it to be unique. Haven't figured out the picture thing yet but I promise I will by the time this is built.

CAS, geez that cartridge is big!!!!! Great comparison with the .40-60!! Must be quite a rush to chamber one of them.

Klhill, I'm unfamiliar with that publication, so I'll keep an eye out, I'd love to read that. Thanks!

Cowboy Tutt, Great info there on the twist rate!! When I go over to Big Timber I'll definitely talk that over with Shiloh. I'd sure like to be able to shoot fairly long .50 caliber bullets. I paid my deposit to Shiloh Dec. 11, 2007 so we're over a year in line now. Should work out about right, I need a little extra time to plan a trip over to Big Timber anyway. It would be cool to meet Mike Venturino in person too. Bought 3 of his guns last year and been a fan of his writing since I was in high school. All I had back then was a .30-06 and all the gun press talked about was 7mm Rem Mag this and .300 Win Mag that, and Venturino would write that my old ought six was pretty good stuff!!!!

Thanks again for all the help guys, if you think of anything else noteworthy, please chime in!!

Geoff
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

kimcook - beautiful rifle - what model is it?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Thanks. Sorry about the picture quality. It's a Shiloh Sharps 1874 Model 1 in 45/70. I've got tang sights for it but they rather get in the way when just shooting around. Actually bought it from Mike Venturino. The second one in fact I bought from him. The first one I foolishly let get away. Won't make that mistake again.
Old Law Dawg
klhill
Levergunner 2.0

Post by klhill »

THE SINGLE SHOT EXCHANGE (803) 628-5326. singleshotex@earthlink.net
July 2008, Volume 18, issue 2
You should be able to get a copy, if not I could copy and send to you.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Geoff, I don't recall the grade of wood. I bought it from Mike Venturino years ago.

It's a Model 1 in 45/70 gov. with a 30" heavy octagon bbl. After I got it from Duke I sent it to Dan Phariss and he put the pewter forend tip and steel shotgun buttplate on it. I believe he used to be the custom shop foreman at Shiloh before he went on his own.

One thing I did do was make a front sight out of a 1899 indian head penny.

I got the penny from a guy on the Shiloh Forum. A number of guys had made them and said they were a nice alternative to the stock nickel silver blade. I haven't had a chance to take her to the range, yet. :mrgreen:

I'll have to make a point of coming up to Tonasket for one of your shoots and I'll bring it. You have to supply your own drool rag. No drooling on my girl. :lol:
Old Law Dawg
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

I know a couple of folks shooting the 50-90 in Shilohs. They're nice guns, but I think the recoil gets a bit wearisome over the course of a typical 40+ round match. The big 45's do also.
Outside of needing controlling interest in a lead factory, and the initial cost of getting enough brass, can't think of anything particularly bad about it.
Enjoy the new rifle when it gets there, and be sure and post some pictures.
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Ya know, I should get a 1874 penny for that front sight. They'll probably want a part of my left leg for one of those.
Old Law Dawg
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

I have met two Shootists who have had Mic McPherson install 3 mercury recoil reducers in the buttstocks of two Sharps rilfes. The first was "Doc" Boyles Pedersoli in 45-120 which I shot myself with BP and had serious recoil before the tubes were installed. The second one belongs to Alam Aman, also a Shootist and his rifle is in 50-90 if memory serves. Both have been happy with the result, but the only drawback is that the rifles are too heavy for strict competition rules. This doesn't seem to bother either of them.

-Tutt
"It ain't dead! As long as there's ONE COWBOY taking care of ONE COW, it ain't dead!!!" (the Cowboy Way)

Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

Please don't get me thinking about a Shiloh again ... :roll:

I've come very close to sending a deposit, I have my specs all planned out. Mine would be a #1 Sporter with upgraded wood, and a 26 inch full octagon heavy barrel, .45/70. I would likely hunt with it exclusively, which is a good thing as I would need to sell off a bunch of other guns to pay for it.

It's one of those things for me that was like buying a Harley. I've ridden motorcycles all my life and always wanted a Harley, but never was willing to part with the $$ for one. Had a life changing event a few years back and I've been riding a Harley ever since, best thing I've ever done.
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Thanks for the additional comments!

kwcook, hey your picture quality is great on that penny. And your way ahead of me, I've NEVER posted a picture on one of these web sights. Can't be too hard, I've just never taken time to figure it out. I have GOT to get that done!

I sure agree on tang sights getting in the way for a lot of things. I've got a lot to learn but the grip I put on my rifle and my cheek weld are what really helps me shoot well at least in lever action silhouette. I'm seriously considering putting one of those, what are they called, Lawrence Ladder sights on my Shiloh, might get me by for a lot of things.

I see we've got something in common with buying a few guns from MLV. Your Shiloh I'd say has EXTRA FANCY wood for sure. That is beautiful and you have every right to be proud of it. Definitely if you ever get a chance to come up to Tonasket bring it along, I promise to not drool on it! ha

Klhill, thankyou sir for the address of that sight. I'll check it out for sure! Now is the time for me to learn, while waiting for my Sharps and maybe even procuring bullets etc....

Don McDowell, that was FUNNY about the "controlling interest in a lead factory" for shooting the .50 caliber! Like I say, this is going to be a learning curve for me for sure!!!

Warhawk, great comment about your Harley. The things in life that REALLY make you smile are the best investments that you can make. Like somebody told me, especially a Shiloh Sharps in a conventional caliber, it will hold it's value VERY well. I'd say go ahead with a Shiloh!!!!

Thanks again!!

Geoff
Don McDowell

Post by Don McDowell »

Geoff those big ol airship lookin bullet those guys shoot in the big 50 can really deminish a pile of ingots , that's for sure.
Anyway don't forget to check with them there at Shilo once in awhile, they do get one on the rack once in awhile that doesn't have a home to go to.....
blueroan
Levergunner 1.0

Post by blueroan »

I have a 50/90 SHILOH Long Range Express with 34 inch heavy barrel, pack hardened finish, pewter tip, AA finish on extra fancy wood, checkered steel shotgun buttplate AND the recoil reducer in the butt stock. Sights are MVA 107 and 112 AND I had MVA bolt on scope mount bases installed when they built the gun; set for the 28 inch scope. (At 60, the scope is in the near future.)

Do a little research on the barrel twist rates. I think I would get the slower rate and save my lead...and shoulder!

Shilohrifle.com/forums/ is a good place to hang out and do some searches on the Big 50. Orville is a good resource...he does a lot of research and shooting and reproduces/invents original reloading tools. Kurt and bobw are two more 50 fans.

There is a resurgence of interest in the 50s, so moulds and casings are readily available. If you don't have them, you need a copy of Randolph Wright's, LOADING AND SHOOTING PAPER PATCH BULLETS, A BEGINNERS GUIDE...which also gives a lot of well illustrated info on loading black powder cartridges. Orville Loomer has a booklet worth getting. Both available from Shiloh. Wright has a previous book, not so profuse, available at C. Sharps. And it goes without saying, you should have a copy of Mike Venturino's SHOOTING BUFFALO RIFLES OF THE OLD WEST and the Venturino/Garbe SPG primer.

I drive from St Louis MO to Forsyth MT for the Quigley shoot..1400 miles each way...and a side trip to Big Timber. 600+ shooters and a good time of shooting, shopping and meeting your friends from previous shoots or the forums.
When they said SHARPS, I always thought BIG 50!
cas
Senior Levergunner

Post by cas »

I have a .50-90 Shilo and I almost bought a rifle from MLV. Does that count, am I in the club? :lol:
Slow is just slow.
Thunder50
Senior Levergunner

Post by Thunder50 »

Been thinking about the 50-90. I have a 7 year old new Pedersoli/cimarron Sharps clone , in 50-70 that I have been thinking of rechambering to 50-90. Course, also have been thinking of selling the thing also, as I haven't shot it in 7 years, probably won't get around to doing it. :?:
The meek shall inherit the earth, but I reserve the mineral rights!
All the knowledge in the world, is of no use to fools! (Eagles-long road out of Eden)
CowboyTutt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by CowboyTutt »

Thunder, I don't think you will have much trouble selling that Sharps in 50-70 on this board! Perdersoli makes a fine gun.

-Tutt