TOOK MY 1897 FOR A WALK

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

TOOK MY 1897 FOR A WALK

Post by Pop Watts »

[img]http://i452.photobucket.com/albums/qq24 ... ts/003.jpg[/img]

First attempt at posting a pic so I hope it works.
Had the opportunity to go and get a couple of rabbits so I decided to leave my trusty Brno in camp and take my old 1897 for a walk instead.
Well it is an old gun that has seen a lot of work and who knows how many owners, one of them stamped his initials "PC" on almost every metal part!
Out of respect for the tired old trooper I only use Standard velocity rounds in it. Today it was Winchester Sub-sonics. They are a bit sticky to feed through the 97 but that big hollow point opens up nicely at low velocity and kills very effeciently at short ranges. I needed that today because I was huntinmg around blackberry bushes with warrens in them so the rabbits were close to their warren openings and could get down them wounded if they didn't get a good hit.
The only time I regretted taking the Marlin out was when I spotted a fox out at 120m, way out of range for my 1897/Sub-sonic combo. He looked my way when I whistled him, I was down wind, wearing camo and behind good cover, so I doubt that he could see me, just too clever to fall for the whistle. If I had my Brno 22 Hornet he would have been in trouble. BUT I really enjoyed getting a couple of rabbits for the pot with my old Marlin.
May make this a habbit.
Pop.
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Re: TOOK MY 1897 FOR A WALK

Post by Pop Watts »

Well, that didn't seem to work. Too bad, will try again some time.
gamekeeper
Spambot Zapper

Post by gamekeeper »

Good post Pop, shame about the photo.

I'm interested in the Aussie way of whistling foxes, I always squeak mine by sucking on the back of my hand to make a dying rabbit sound. What is your technique for whistling Foxes :?:

You are right about the Brno .22 Hornet, that Fox would have been with his ancestors by now :wink:
Whatever you do always give 100%........... unless you are donating blood.
nemhed
Senior Levergunner

Post by nemhed »

I took the liberty of posting your picture after following your link from above, to see if it would work and of course it did. Follow the directions from the photo posting sticky and it should work. I figured it out so it isn't rocket science. Very nice Marlin by the way!
kimwcook
Advanced Levergunner

Post by kimwcook »

Good job. And, that is a nice looking ole Marlin.

Do you guys still have a problem with the rabbit population taking over?
Old Law Dawg
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

You can tell they are summer rabbits :wink: Well done :D
Nice ole' Marlin :D
When I squeal with my hand I use the inside of my hand where the index finger runs into the palm, I find it's louder some than on the back of the hand.
I admire you deciding to not shoot at that fox at 120yds, if it were me I'd still shot at it but I am scoped so it does make a differance.
Will you be tucking into them rabbits yourself?

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
TedH
Advanced Levergunner

Post by TedH »

Very nice. :mrgreen:
NRA Life Member
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

love the 1897. just cant seem to find one that meets my standards. nice post. Its always wonderful to go for a walk with a .22 lever, a box of rounds and some small game about. As close to heaven in the woods as you can get.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Pop,
Nice shooting, and a nice looking classic 1897 too!
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Nice Marlin and nice feed, well done :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
bsaride
Senior Levergunner

Post by bsaride »

Pop,

Done good on the rabbits and the 1897. I will have to get some of those hollow points and try 'em
in my 1927 M39.

Nice post but we need a follow up on how you prepare them down under (tell us how you cooked 'em up).

That rifle should not be feed anything with over 1150fps (standard velocity) and may still break the bolt,
my M39 did and I have been too busy to fit a new bolt. I was shooting std vel Win T-22s and I think it was
because I always work the bolt hard on any gun that mine broke. If you ever need it the bolts can be found,
in fact I may have a 1897 bolt (picked up when looking for vintage bolts for my M39).

Jay
KI6WZU
NRA member
"When they call the roll in the Senate, the Senators do not know whether to answer 'present' or 'not guilty.'"
--President Theodore Roosevelt (1858-1919)

“Democracy must be something more than two wolves and a sheep voting on what to have for dinner”
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Pop,

I enjoyed all of the posts above.

Great looking 1897 Marlin. Geez you got a great kill on those rabbits. Nice and neat!

mm93 got me started using standard velocity .22lr and I like them way more than I thought I would. Great to hear there are good hunting bullets at the lower velocity.

You guys with your 1897's and original 39's make me jealous!! SOME DAY I'LL GET ONE I HOPE!!

Geoff
Pop Watts
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Pop Watts »

Thanks for the replys, and the assistance with getting the pic up.
To answer a couple of the questions.
For foxes I use a round tin whisle that imitates a dying rabbit.
Yes the rabbits are for the pot. I usually cook them up in curries - not very Australian is it.
The fillets get cut out and usually go into a Thai stir fry - still not very Australian.
Just have a taste for spicey food.
If I am out for a couple of nights I usually cook up a Bombay Rabbit Curry in a camp oven, goes down well with a cold lager.
A more traditional way would be a stew (I think you guys would call it a hot pot??)
Thanks again for the replies, I will get this picture posting thing sorted and put up a couple of pics of a Colt Lightning Carbine I just got. Not a lever, but I am sure you will let me sneak it in.
Pop.
mescalero1
Advanced Levergunner

Post by mescalero1 »

If you don't " sneak it in " you will get some dodgy replies :lol:
Nath
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Nath »

No need to be sneaky, I post pics of all sorts n' nobody has grabbed me by the ear yet :roll:

Nath.
Psalm ch8.

Because I wish I could!
dr walker
Senior Levergunner

Post by dr walker »

NIce shooting and nice Marlin.
Jaguarundi
Senior Levergunner

Post by Jaguarundi »

Classic Rifle and congrats on the nice rabbits 8) !
"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not."