Handloader Magazine Article

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Bruce
Levergunner 3.0

Handloader Magazine Article

Post by Bruce »

I bought the December 2008 issue of the Handloader magazine yesterday to keep me occupied while I was sitting at the hospital with my father. There were a few articles that I thought worth mentioning.

First is a very well explained article on the effects of different primers, neck sizing vs. full length sizing and brass brands - as they relate to accuracy and case life. The author does a first rate job of detailing his findings. I am not new to reloading and I have been aware of the varibles of changing componets, but this guy really brings out some significant details/results. I give it an A+ and highly recommend it even for seasoned reloaders. I am going to try his methods to see if I can improve my own handloads. For some unknown reason, I have always been a fan of CCI BR2 primers. In his research, they came in dead last, but other CCI's came out in the top. His detailed case life experiment on ten different brands was a surprise also.

There is also an good basic starters type article (with pictures) on casting and one on bullet lubes.
http://www.pumprifle.org/
Bruce Hamlin's Pump Rifle Forum
BenT
Advanced Levergunner

Re: Handloader Magazine Article

Post by BenT »

I agree ,a lot of time went into research for that article. Handloader is one of my favorite Magazines. It's one of those magzines that you can't read the whole thing in one sitting .It's real meaty , alot to digest.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

thanks for the heads up and prayers for your father
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

I let my subscription to Rifle and Handloader run out. Got to RE-UP!! I enjoy them too. I think Brian Pearce gets better and better, I've been a Venturino fan since about 1980, and Scovill is top notch.

Did I hear the John Barsness no longer writes for them??????????

Geoff
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

Yes, Mr. Barsness apparently now has a couple of other gigs including American Rifleman. You can't keep a good man down. :wink:
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Borregos
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Borregos »

Sounds like a very interesting article, I will see if I can get my hands on a copy.
Thanks for the heads up :D
Pete
Sometimes I wonder if it is worthwhile gnawing through the leather straps to get up in the morning..................
Modoc ED
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Modoc ED »

Best to your Dad.
ED
Yer never too old
RSY
Senior Levergunner

Post by RSY »

Hobie wrote:Yes, Mr. Barsness apparently now has a couple of other gigs including American Rifleman. You can't keep a good man down. :wink:
Sports Afield, too, I think. Right?

Scott