Savage 99 in 38-55

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Savage 99 in 38-55

Post by rjohns94 »

I was shopping today and discovered a Savage take-down in 38-55. I did not know they made it in this caliber. I think the date of manufacture was 1905 or 1906. this rifle had a rear peep, long barrel (24"?), straight plain stock, no cracks, 95% blue, and a beautiful price tag too but wow was I ever tempted. How many did they make in this caliber? I managed to hold my cash except for some M1A mags (including 30 rounder) for $25 bucks each and a leather sling all for my NM M1A.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Re: Savage 99 in 38-55

Post by Buffboy »

A take down 1899 in 38-55 is one of my dream guns. I don't believe they ever made the 99 in that cartridge, same with 32-40, and 25-35. AFAIK they were made with 20, 22, & 26 inch barrels unless you saw a special order in 24". I would bet that almost any of the those calibers were ordered special.
I'd love to own one but I've never seen one with out a price that takes my breath away(even the non-take down version). They ARE NOT common so unless I win a big lottery prize it's not likely to become more than a dream. I don't know the production numbers for that caliber but it was few, with 32-40 probably the rarest.
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
.45colt
Advanced Levergunner

Post by .45colt »

We as Levergunners should All be required to own a 99 takedown. when unsespecting "experts" show up at the range or near the safe, We can hang our head and show them how this old gun broke. :( . after it is re-assembled in no time at all ,we need to complain how a gun near 100 years old was *back to the future". then show them the rotary mag and the cartridge counter..... 8) .
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Buffboy, This barrel then was a 26" and the bore was darn near perfect. I'm thinking about trading my 1893 in on it. I had never heard of the rifle being offered in this caliber and I had a hard time keeping my mouth closed shut as I loving looked at every feature. I'm kicking myself I didn't take trading stock with me when I went looking. I feel the need for ......
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

There are lots of Savage 99 collectors who would give a right arm for a .38-55, and more for a takedown in .38-55. I also was unaware that Savage ever made a .38-55 in a takedown? I thought they were all earlier Savage 1899's in solid frames.
Pre WWI Marlins and Singleshot rifles!
http://members.tripod.com/~OregonArmsCollectors/
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

If it is a 99TD it should have a "High Pressure Steel" marked barrel and would be a 99B. The B came in both round and octagonal barrels with full threads. A VERY cool and scarce rifle. :)
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

it was a round barrel. I will see it again on friday and if I don't make a deal, I will post the shop info for those interested.
Mike Johnson,

Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Please do, Mike. :D
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

marlinman93 wrote:There are lots of Savage 99 collectors who would give a right arm for a .38-55, and more for a takedown in .38-55. I also was unaware that Savage ever made a .38-55 in a takedown? I thought they were all earlier Savage 1899's in solid frames.
MM, I believe you are thinking of the 1895. I'm not an expert on the Savage levers. I've always been interested in them but never owned one till I got the 300 for the wife. AFAIK, the 1895 was never cataloged as a take down. They were all solid framed and 303 savage caliber.

The 1899(made till about 1920) was available in the barrel lengths mentioned, 20" (carbine only), 22" (round only), then 26" (round, half octagon, & full octagon) though as with Marlin or Winchesters of the era, on custom orders, you could get about any configuration you wanted. The 1899 was also made as a take down with no restrictions as to caliber through most of its production. The 22HP(1914?), 303 savage, 38-55, 32-40, 25-35 and 30-30 were all catalog items till the end of its production with 303 being by far the most common. The only one I've never seen is a 32-40, not even on an auction site, in any configuration. Any take down 1899 in anything but 303 or 22hp is a rare animal indeed. I think the 22hp is more common in take down than solid frame. Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen one that wasn't a take down.

AFAIK, they didn't chamber the later 99(started in about 1920) in 38-55, 25-35, or 32-40. They did catalog the 99 in 30-30 until 1936 so a later 99 is possible in one of those calibers as a custom order. maybe, maybe

Everybody have a Happy New Year, now I'm going to bed. :D
"People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence, they're begging for rule by brute force, when the biggest, strongest animals among men were always automatically 'right.' Guns ended that, and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make it work."

- L. Neil Smith
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

Ok guys, you have one day to educate me. If this gun dates to 1905 - then its an 1899 vice a 99?. Does tha affect the desirability? What differences were there in the two? all my research on the web does not reveal the 38-55 as an offered cartridge so I assume this was a special order gun. What do I need to make note of in inspecting the rifle? He wants close to $3K for the rifle but I plan to do some trading and bickering. Since its not cataloged, hard to get a price. It is in very very good to excellent condition.
Mike Johnson,

Buffboy
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Buffboy »

I'm going on memory here and a quick search for info. A 1905 build date would be an 1899. I believe you're right in that it was custom ordered. Ordering a rifle back then was a matter of looking at a catalog, writing your wants in a letter(or your gunsmith/retailer doing same), sending money, waiting a bit, then receiving the rifle. The 1899 was not a low priced rifle of the day so little custom bits are not as rare IMO as with Winchester or Marlin. Savage never had the production numbers of either of those companies with the 99 so there's more custom ordered rifles out there by them overall. I don't think they did any changes in the action itself to go from the 1899 to the 99. They changed the model number to the 99 after the 300 was introduced in 1920. The 1899 was chambered in 22hp(1912) and 250(1914) before the number changed. There was some overlap of model designations back then too so you could find some rifles built in the 1920s that say 1899.

He's asking almost $3k huh, not surprising, considering the condition you described. Personally, I don't think he's out of line. I'd bet it would bring more than that on Gun Broker. In this day of $2500 ARs that doesn't sound as bad as it could be. Look for it to have a bit of resistance as it locks up though that's not likely a problem. Other than that, do the standard scan of the rifling, see that the magazine moves smoothly, and check overall condition looking for signs of a reblue or other abnormalities. They ranged in new price back then from $21 to $250 so there was a wide range of options. The major question: Is it worth that to you?

They did lengthen the action of the 99 for the 308 case based cartridges when they were introduced. This caused some problems with the rifles developing headspace issues with the higher pressures of those rounds. I'm of the opinion that as you see it most in the 308s, "extra" high pressure military surplus ammo may have been a factor in some of this. Since I've seen it only in later guns where they were also cutting production costs to be more competitive, it may also just be a general lack of QC in later production.

- L. Neil Smith
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
The 38-55 was not a special order 1899. The 38-55, along with the 32-40 and 25-35 calibers are listed in the early Savage catalogs. It is rarely seen as Winchester calibers were not popular in Savage rifles for the same reason Smith & Wesson calibers were not popular in Colt SAA's. Competing companies hated to rollstamp another companies names on their guns. But they did make some to appease certain sportsmen.

I have a 38-55 Savage, but mine is a solid frame with an octagon barrel. Its a keeper for life as this baby can shoot. An original Lyman click adjustable receiver sight is on this gun. It fits into the original factory drilled holes that were put on there for a tang sight.

Notice in the picture, that the roll stamp just says "38-55" and not "38-55 W.C.F." (for factory "ego" reasons)

I paid BIG money for mine, IIRC, it was $400 about 5 years ago :D :D :D . But this one is no where near as nice as the one you describe. Mine is a 40-50% gun but........with a mint bore--my priority :D-----------------------Sixgun

Image,

1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Buffboy wrote:
marlinman93 wrote:There are lots of Savage 99 collectors who would give a right arm for a .38-55, and more for a takedown in .38-55. I also was unaware that Savage ever made a .38-55 in a takedown? I thought they were all earlier Savage 1899's in solid frames.
MM, I believe you are thinking of the 1895. I'm not an expert on the Savage levers. I've always been interested in them but never owned one till I got the 300 for the wife. AFAIK, the 1895 was never cataloged as a take down. They were all solid framed and 303 savage caliber. :D
Nope, not confused with the 1895, which was only made in .303 Savage. (and built by Marlin) Just haven't seen a .38-55 Savge 99 in a takedown.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

Sixgun, the .38-55 is a Ballard caliber and not a proprietary Winchester cartridge, hence no WCF after the designation. I believe that the 1881 Marlin was the first lever repeater to be offered in that one. :)
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike D. wrote:Sixgun, the .38-55 is a Ballard caliber and not a proprietary Winchester cartridge, hence no WCF after the designation. I believe that the 1881 Marlin was the first lever repeater to be offered in that one. :)
Mike, Yep, your right--I have too many WCF's dancing around my head. :lol:--I have been known to call the 44 Magnum, the 44 Magnum W.C.F. or the 7mm Rem mag, the 7mm W.C.F. :shock: --------Sixgun

marlinman93
Advanced Levergunner

Post by marlinman93 »

Sixgun wrote:
Mike D. wrote:Sixgun, the .38-55 is a Ballard caliber and not a proprietary Winchester cartridge, hence no WCF after the designation. I believe that the 1881 Marlin was the first lever repeater to be offered in that one. :)
Mike, Yep, your right--I have too many WCF's dancing around my head. :lol:--I have been known to call the 44 Magnum, the 44 Magnum W.C.F. or the 7mm Rem mag, the 7mm W.C.F. :shock: --------Sixgun
Spoken like a true Winchester fan! :D :D
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

I went back today to look at this rifle. Nothing is as I remembered. Sorry for the false alarms. this rifle is not worth the money they are asking. First, the barrel length is 22, then the % blue is much lower than I remember and once I saw it in better light, might have been half what I saw in the dim light, the bore is still fantastic, AND, its not a takedown - there is a sling swivel mount where the take down button should be. All in all, I must have been on some mighty powerful pepsi when I looked at it and the 20 some others they have in the store, all the characteristics must have blended. So from now on, I will take notes individually on the items I see of interest. I apologize for the false alarm. I am embarrassed how off I was on this one. I got it most confused with one of their older rifles that looked nice compared to this one.
Mike Johnson,

GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

rj94,

Nothing to hang your head about! Had the same thing happen to me, I see something intrigueing, come home and read up on it and the details are different when you go back. I've never had a Savage 99, someday hopefully I will. I learned a lot from this thread.

Geoff
Sixgun
Posting leader...

Post by Sixgun »

Mike,
Thats how it is, we remember what we WANT to remember. :D I can't begin to count the number of times I have recounted to friends, "Ah man, its a 98% gun" only to buy it and then see the pitted bore, extra holes on the receiver, sling swivels............................................

Its like when someone dies who was a rotten ***. Two years later, we tend to remember only the good.-----------Sixgun