A few photos from the PA Cowboy Silhouette Champ.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

A few photos from the PA Cowboy Silhouette Champ.

Post by w30wcf »

It's great to see the youngsters involved.

Here's the youngest shooter - she is 9 years old :mrgreen:
After this shot she asked her spotter "Well....did it go high or low?" Neat!

Here's a young gal that hit 15 javelina in a row and is starting her "long run". She hit #16 then missed #17.
Good shooting!! :mrgreen:

"Gunny" with his '73 Uberti .44-40 and......its 30" barrel!
Taking instructions from "Sixgun"

"Sixgun" with his vintage 1886 .45-90

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: w30wcf
Last edited by w30wcf on Mon Sep 15, 2008 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
aka w44wcf (black powder)
NRA Life member
.22 WCF, .30 WCF, .44 WCF Cartridge Historian
Chuck 100 yd
Advanced Levergunner

Re: A few photos from the PA Cowboy Silhouette Champ.

Post by Chuck 100 yd »

COOL !!! :D :D :D
Old Savage
Posting leader...

Post by Old Savage »

Where is this?
In the High Desert of Southern Calif. ..."on the cutting edge of going back in time"...

O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

That looks like fun!

You may not believe this, but I formulated cowboy silhouette back about 10 years ago - in response to a contest put on by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) that was interested in new shooting sports. I submitted a full rules guideline and course layout. I got no response back other than I didn't win anything IIRC.

Then, a few years later, I saw that the NRA was sactioning cowboy silhouette matches! From what I can see, it's not exactly the same as what I proposed -they use the standard silhouette targets (I proposed "cowboy" targets) and there's no class for fixed sight single action pistols.

If this came from my entry, it would have been nice to be told about it... I've wondered about this... could be that there were several versions of this submitted... it seemed kinda obvious to me at the time.

I need to check into this. I've been out of competitive shooting for 5 years now.
Last edited by O.S.O.K. on Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NRA Endowment Life
Phi Kappa Sigma, Alpha Phi 83 "Skulls"
OCS, 120th MP Battalion, MSSG
MOLON LABE!
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

That 44-40 knock over the rams ? What weight bullet? Cool pics BTW
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

O.S.O.K. wrote:That looks like fun!

You may not believe this, but I formulated coboy silhouette back about 10 years ago - in response to a contest put on by the NSSF (National Shooting Sports Foundation) that was interested in new shooting sports. I submitted a full rules guideline and course layout. I got no response back other than I didn't win anything IIRC.

Then, a few years later, I saw that the NRA was sactioning cowboy silhouette matches! From what I can see, it's not exactly the same as what I proposed -they use the standard silhouette targets (I proposed "cowboy" targets) and there's no class for fixed sight single action pistols.

If this came from my entry, it would have been nice to be told about it... I've wondered about this... could be that there were several versions of this submitted... it seemed kinda obvious to me at the time.

I need to check into this. I've been out of competitive shooting for 5 years now.
Our match director, Mike Dreske, was in on the original rules committee. We're actually doing a "Military Cast Bullet" and an "M1a Carbine (pistol calibre)" class. You can use any military bolt, semi, ss, or lever, any caliber, and with iron sights, but it has to be a lead bullet. The carbine match uses stock rifles, with military ball ammo.
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Cool. The more different games the better I say. :)
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Okay, I got a question. I've been shooting a lot of years and have never seen anyone doing offhand shooting like that young woman and Sixgun. The supporting hand is pretty much under the lever/receiver. Have I been missing the secret of offhand shooting all this time? The closest I've come to that is to rest my supporting elbow on my stomach with the supporting hand still under the rear part of the forearm. Do you find it more accurate the way you are shooting in those pictures?
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
JerryB
Advanced Levergunner

Post by JerryB »

Kirk, I believe that is a common stance in certain types of target shooting, notice how the girl is leaning way back,that is just how they do it. When I was shooting in the NMLRA matches that position could not be used, we had a few High Power folks that tried to shoot that way and were told it is against the rules. You have to stand up and shoot with out your support arm touching your body. I don't think it would work in the woods anyway for a snap shot.
JerryB II Corinthians 3:17, Now the Lord is that Spirit: and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty.

JOSHUA 24:15
Ben_Rumson
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Ben_Rumson »

Some shooters rest the trigger guard on the thumb of the supporting hand with the rest of the digits of that hand supporting the stock, magazine or receiver forward of the trigger guard... Target rifles usually have checkering or stippling on the bottom of the trigger guard to aid purchase..
"IT IS MY OPINION, AND I AM CORRECT SO DON'T ARGUE, THE 99 SAVAGE IS THE FINEST RIFLE EVER MADE IN AMERICA."
WIL TERRY
Ysabel Kid

Post by Ysabel Kid »

Looks like a ton of fun. I'm with KirkD though - that hold doesn't look like it would be well-balanced. Will have to give it a whirl - trying to lean back far enough without throwing my back out! :roll:
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Old Savage,
Tiadaghton Sportsmens Association, Waterville, Pennsylvania.

O.S.O.K.,
The arena for NRA Cowboy Silhouette was established by IHMSA back in the 1970's. IHMSA took the targets used for NRA High Power Rifle Silhouette (late 1960's) and moved them closer so that they could be used for handgun silhouette. The NRA adopted the IHMSA distances for their Cowboy Lever Action class. Jacketed bullets are the most popular but several of us shoot cast bullets. :mrgreen:
The smallbore and pistol cartridge leverguns shoot at 1/2 size targets at 1/2 the distance.

Back in 1983 and 1984, Lyman held the "World Cast Bullet Championships" at the Blue Trail Range in CT. Scoped rifles were used on the IHMSA course which was modified to eliminate the 100 meter javelina and the chickens were moved to 100 meter line. I was fortunate enough to attend both events.

Ben,
"Gunny" used his '73 in the Pistol cartridge comp. so no problems with the rams. He has used it on the rifle course in the past with 240 gr. bullets and the Alliant recipe for RL 7 and it has worked well there as well.

Kirk,
Yes, most shooters will hold their arm into their side to help reduce the "wobble area". There are a few very good shooters that do very well holding their rifles as one would in the "hunting" position. If you will look at the last photo of "Sixgun", you will see that he has an extended grip on the forearm and was trying to get his 5 shots off in 40 seconds(!) (shooters are allowed 2 minutes). Below is a side view which shows him a bit better.

Lots of fuunnn!
w30wcf
aka John Kort
aka Jack Christian SASS 11993 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13
NRA Life member
Dewight
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Dewight »

That is a beautiful range.
Member: Vast Right Wing Conspiracy
KirkD
Desktop Artiste

Post by KirkD »

Thanks, w30wcf for that explanation of shooting stances in your photos. I practice offhand shooting the way I would likely have to shoot when hunting, with my support hand on the forearm. However, I'll have to try out that support hand under the lever position just to see how it does.
Kirk: An old geezer who loves the smell of freshly turned earth, old cedar rail fences, wood smoke, a crackling fireplace on a snowy evening, pristine wilderness lakes, the scent of
cedars and a magnificent Whitetail buck framed in the semi-buckhorn sights of a 120-year old Winchester.
Blog: https://www.kirkdurston.com/
rjohns94
Advanced Levergunner

Post by rjohns94 »

the stance reminds me of off hand shooting in military high power competition. I have used it with my levers and I find it very stable with good breathing technique.
Mike Johnson,

"Only those who will risk going too far, can possibly find out how far one can go." T.S. Eliot
Sixgun
Posting leader...
Location: S.E. Pa. Where The Finest Winchesters & Colts Reside

Post by Sixgun »

Jack,
You are now the official photographer whenever we attend matches. I can't even remember you taking any, but then again, I can't remember what I had for lunch several hours ago. Nice pics. I always get excited when I see an 1886 Winchester, even if its mine. You got the job steady!!!!!!!!

Yea guys, we had a blast. I usually do the "silhouette stance" and it helps to control wobble, but sometimes I break out and have fun and shoot fast, you know, like I'm busting a real coyote on the run. These things happen when I miss most of the turkeys and I say the hell with it, I'm gonna have fun. After all, we are not shootin' for Cadillacs! :D

OK Jack, whens the next shoot? I'm ready to go! :D --------------Sixgun
1st. Gen. Colt SAA’s, 1878 D.A.45 and a 38-55 Marlin TD

jdad
Advanced Levergunner

Post by jdad »

Sixgun wrote: These things happen when I miss most of the turkeys and I say the hell with it, I'm gonna have fun. After all, we are not shootin' for Cadillacs! :D
BTDT :D Wait until you do a pistol caliber match with squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and buffalos! The groundhongs are standing up laughing at you as you miss. :D
I know a whole lot about very little and nothing about a whole lot.
centershot
Levergunner 2.0
Location: Wandering in the abyss of progressive liberal Nu Yorkistan

Post by centershot »

Thanks for that most excellent report Jack! Wish I could have been there! We are fortunate to have three clubs in the area that offer CLAR (cowboy lever-action rifle) silhouette; the Tiadaghton club mentioned above, the Ridgeway Rifle Club in Ridgeway PA and the McKean County Rifle Club in Marshburg PA. All are located in NW Pennsylvania. I usually shoot at McKean, it's located about 4 hours NNE of Pittsburgh and 2 hrs south of Buffalo, NY. AFAIK, the matches at all three are done for the year, but I'd be happy to post next years' schedule if anyone is interested in joining us! You don't have to join the club, the matches are open to the public. If you're seriously thinking of pursuing this competition you'll want to join the NRA if you're not already a member. It's a huge bag o' fun!

There are three classes; smallbore (.22 LR) fired at 40-50-75-100 meters, pistol-cartridge carbine (any pistol-cartridge carbine,.22 LR included) at 40-50-75-100 meters, and long range (rifle-calibers, 30-30, 45-70, etc...) at 50-100-150-200 meters. Get a rule book from NRA, there are some peculiarities you'll need to know about, but if you have a tube-feed lever action rifle or carbine and would like to shoot this game there is a class for you to shoot in. Give it a try!

centershot
"All who wander are not lost."
J. R. R. Tolkien
Rimfire McNutjob
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Rimfire McNutjob »

w30wcf wrote:"Gunny" with his '73 Uberti .44-40 and......its 30" barrel!
With that tang sight I'm guessing he's not short on sight radius now is he. Holy cow.
w30wcf wrote:"Sixgun" with his vintage 1886 .45-90
Probably has a set trigger too ... don't hold back on us, we know he's hoarding all of the good stuff.
... I love poetry, long walks on the beach, and poking dead things with a stick.
w30wcf
Senior Levergunner

Post by w30wcf »

Sixgun,
Well..I'm a better shot with a camera....but not much better...sometimes things turn out aok :D ...sometimes they don't :o I think it best that we both bring our cameras the next time.
Here's the next event:
http://www.levergunscommunity.com/viewt ... f=1&t=9977

Centershot,
Hope you can make it to the Jubilee.

w30wcf
aka John Kort
NRA Life member
Cimarron Red
Levergunner 2.0

Post by Cimarron Red »

McNut,

Yep. Sixgun has all the good stuff! And he knows how to use it.

w30wcf,

Great photos!
GEOFF
Levergunner 2.0

Post by GEOFF »

Great pictures and I thank you guys for sharing them.

What kind of scores won the match??? Also what rifles and calibers were the match winners using. Also sighting equipment.

I've been pretty busy lately and might have missed this info in case it's already been posted.

We shoot as often as we can out here in Wa. State. Lever action silhouette has taught me more about shooting than anything else. Pretty incredible what some guys can do off hand with iron sights!!!

Geoff
Jay Bird

Post by Jay Bird »

They'll let anybody in at those shoots.
O.S.O.K.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by O.S.O.K. »

Established in the 70's... no wonder I did't win anything :roll:

Here I thought I had come up with something new - just shows to go you - there's nothing new....
NRA Endowment Life
MOLON LABE!