B-86 "Short Rifle" and Heavy Cast Bullets Pics.

Welcome to the Leverguns.Com Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here ... politely.

Moderators: AmBraCol, Hobie

Forum rules
Welcome to the Leverguns.Com General Discussions Forum. This is a high-class place so act respectable. We discuss most anything here other than politics... politely.

Please post political post in the new Politics forum.
Advanced Levergunner

B-86 "Short Rifle" and Heavy Cast Bullets Pics.

Post by 1886 »

Some of you may remember this rifle. I purchased it about one years ago. It is a grade I Browning B-86 .45-70 chopped to 16.5". An action/trigger job was also done. The top of the barrel near the muzzle has been drilled and tapped to accommodate a forward mount, scout style scope mount. The original owner reported to his son that this was a "factory conversion" offered through a company called Adco but I find this dubious at best. I can find no info of such an option or conversion. Anyway, the work is very well done. The little beastie shoots and carries well. What a great companion it would be if one was going into the thick stuff after critters with teeth and claws.
The load is as follows, W/W brass, a healthy dose of newly manufactured RL-7(Bofurs), Fed 210M primers, Mt.Baldy 550gr FNGC sized .459" seated to 2.500". I used Hornady dies with an RCBS expander sized .454". With high performance cast or jacketed loads, I find an expander sized .004-.005" smaller than projectile size provides optimum neck tension. I also provide a health crimp administered by the Lee FCD. The load is about 10% compressed. I deem this load safe in MY RIFLE, NOT YOURS. DO NOT USE MY DATA! Fired cases fall from the chamber when the rifle is held vertically and shaken. The load was very consistent, with a low velocity of 1597fps and a high velocity of 1603fps. There is a genuine paucity of reliable data for the Browning with heavy bullets. The OAL must remain somewhat short to insure proper functioning through the short throat Browning. I will have another range session with a 1gr heavier charge. Otherwise the load will be identical

This pic. shows the 550gr bullet to the left. A Mt. Baldy 400gr FNGC is shown for comparison.
The target was shot at 50yrds from the bench. Big fun! The vertical stringing is certainly the result of several factors including but not limited, by my bench technique, barrel time(big, heavy, relatively slow, bullet shot from a heavy recoiling rifle) decreasing rifle weight as mag. tube empties, etc...
The little beast herself.
A poor picture showing the top of the drilled and tapped barrel. 3 pairs of holes.

If anyone has any info regarding an Adco B-86, it would be appreciated. Perhaps the father was mistaken and this was not a factory conversion but rather work done by a shop called Adco after the rifle was purchased. Thanks, 1886.
Last edited by 1886 on Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ysabel Kid

Re: B-86 "Short Rifle" and Heavy Cast Bullets Pics.

Post by Ysabel Kid »

That is one cool "little" gun!!! 8) 8) 8)
okdee
Levergunner 2.0

Post by okdee »

Interesting combination! :mrgreen: Evidently you have put the little Beastie to paper. What are the result at 50 and 100 yards?

Good story.
Oklahoma Dee
FAMILY
NRA LIFE
TSRA
SASS
HGCA
Life is Grand! Live it!

OKDEE
Hobie

Post by Hobie »

okdee wrote:Interesting combination! :mrgreen: Evidently you have put the little Beastie to paper. What are the result at 50 and 100 yards?

Good story.
Oklahoma Dee
Sincerely,

Hobie

"We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best that we find in our travels is an honest friend." Robert Louis Stevenson
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

what a treasure, I love the rifle and I love your load too. that's a combo after my own heart. it's a shame we can't get that rifle in stainless steel. nothing on earth can stand up to that load. and you can load it down too. great gun. thanks. I wish I had the guts to cut down my B-1886 SRC, but alas...,
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

I edited my post a bit. I proof read and proof read again before posting but I always seem to miss some grammatical errors. 1886.
2ndovc
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 2ndovc »

Good stuff Gary!

Motivating me to get to work on my own little beastie :D
I've been picking up stuff here and there.
Have to order the new stocks and
get it down to the 'smith to get the holes in the receiver filled and
refinished.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jasonB " Another Dirty Yankee"

" Tomorrow the sun will rise. Who knows what the tide could bring?"
Pete44ru
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Pete44ru »

[I proof read and proof read again before posting but I always seem to miss some grammatical errors.]

Yep (sigh) - Plus, add in a few messed-up keyboard micro-switches, and sometimes it looks like dementia. ;)

I really like that shortie, and you/it shoots well, indeed.

It would look very interesting, indeed, with a short Malcom scope on it for range work.

3leggedturtle
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 3leggedturtle »

That is SWEEEEEEET :) :) Looks even better that a 16" M92, if that is posible!! How is the recoil?
30/30 Winchester: Not accurate enough fer varmints, barely adequate for small deer; BUT In a 10" to 14" barrelled pistol; is good for moose/elk to 200 yards; ground squirrels to 300 metres

250 Savage... its what the 223 wishes it could be...!
salvo
Senior Levergunner

Post by salvo »

Love that short rifle! Dang, not much room for powder with those 550's.
ScottS

"No arsenal, no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women."
-- Ronald Reagan
Warhawk
Levergunner 3.0

Post by Warhawk »

ADCO is an outfit that does a lot of AR-15 barrel work. You might check with them and see what they have to say.

http://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

3leggedturtle wrote:That is SWEEEEEEET :) :) Looks even better that a 16" M92, if that is posible!! How is the recoil?
Quite noticeable! 1886.
Advanced Levergunner

Post by 1886 »

salvo wrote:Love that short rifle! Dang, not much room for powder with those 550's.
Yes. Those long, heavy bullets do occupy a lot of room. Still, 1600fps with a 550gr projectile is serious medicine. 1886.
Mike D.
***Rock Star***

Post by Mike D. »

That is one great lookin' little '86! I have no problem with modifying those guns, either. I didn't buy mine to re-sell, so 'adapting' them to my designs and desires is fine.

I'll prob'ly called all sorts of names and flamed forever, but why is everyone so enamored with BIG bullets? I have no need for anything larger than 350 grainers, and not
many of them. 300s take all the game in these parts with ease. The .350 Hornady RN does the job for bigger stuff, like elk. Hell, I haven't so much as fired a 405 out of
any of my .45 caliber Winchesters in many years. There, I said it. :lol:
"Congressmen who willfully take actions during wartime that damage morale, and undermine the military are saboteurs and should be arrested, exiled or hanged"....President Abraham Lincoln
Grizz
Advanced Levergunner

Post by Grizz »

Mike D, if you don't need 'em, don't ever shoot one, because ya can't shoot just one. if you can avoid the fun, fascination, and fellowship of the big bullet addiction, run, run, RUN. :lol:
tman
Advanced Levergunner

Post by tman »

that's a bad butt gun! :mrgreen: 8)
shdwlkr
Levergunner 2.0

Post by shdwlkr »

Mike D
I use 350 and 425 grain bullets in my 86 why? because that is the molds I have and so I use them as I am cheap and don't see any reason to buy another mold. I don't see a reason for a 500 grain in the 86 thou as I know what I am most likely to hunt and that 425 makes a plenty big enough hole for me and I don't see me shooting at 1000 yards anytime real soon so the 500 grain up bullets just have no use in my mind.
Each to his own and as long as you have fun with your 86 I don't care what weight bullet you shoot.
In a free society the government doesn't fear its citizens
NRA Endowment member
DAV